PDA

View Full Version : OT- electric fence tester

pasofino
05-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Anyone have any experience with an electric fence tester. I want to make one with a neon bulb and a resitor just to check the presence of a voltage on the fence, Any suggestions

Dragons_fire
05-20-2008, 07:18 PM
for a couple bucks you can get a non-contact probe that will flash and beep when youre near AC.

this one as $15, but walmart here sells them for a whole lot less...

http://cableorganizer.com/electrical-testers/sniff-it.htm

lugnut
05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Years ago when we was on the farm, we used my little brother as the electric fence tester:D
Mel

bhjones
05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
No, no, really. The fence is off. Go ahead, touch it.

Years ago when we was on the farm, we used my little brother as the electric fence tester:D
Mel

The Doctor
05-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Just piss on it, results will be 100% conclusive!:eek:

Ed

dp
05-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Fluorescent tubes work. Just wave it alongside the fence wire. I haven't tried a CFL lamp but it may work, too.

zukIzzy
05-20-2008, 08:42 PM
I use a long peice of grass. You can feel if it is on but it does not hurt.

Wayne

Evan
05-20-2008, 09:21 PM
It depends on what sort of fence charger you are using. There are two basic types, low impedance and high impedance. The high impeadance charger generates high voltage at low amperage and requires insulators on all parts of the wire. The newer low impedance units don't need insulators on good dry posts and pack a lot more punch but at a lower voltage. They can be used to charge several wires at once. The only one I have is the old high impedance type and you can test it by touching it lightly if your hands are dry. You really don't want to try touching the new units.

You can try the neon bulb but don't be holding any part of the circuit. You don't need the resistor. Hook one side of the bulb to a probe wire and hook a couple of feet of wire to the other side and let it hang as an antenna. Using an insulated stick as a handle touch the probe to the fence and it should flash in time with the charge. It may be difficult to see in direct sunlight.

Carld
05-21-2008, 01:29 AM
My wife grabed an electric fense when she was 5 or 6 years old. I think that's when she learned to dance.:eek: :D

TGTool
05-21-2008, 01:50 AM
I've heard the newer ones called weed burners. Grass or weeds growing up, which might otherwise short out the charge, get zapped enough to fix the problem. I used to use the blade or grass trick, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea with these or not. I'm imagining the black trace across the palm.

Chipslinger
05-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Farm show magazine just covered this, Solder a piece of wire to each end of the florecent tube with a bend that looks like hooks and just hang it on the fence.

gunbuilder
05-21-2008, 11:49 PM
My Uncle's favorite electric fence tester is three sparkplugs welded together with a wooden dowel for a handle and a length of insulated wire with an alligator clip on it. Set the gap on the sparkplugs to different much wider gaps. Touch one to the fence when the clip is grounded, if it sparks it works. Use the wide gap first, go the a smaller gap if no spark.

Get the idea.

Thanks,
Paul

NAMPeters
05-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Go buy a neon circuit tester for $1.19, works great.

BobC
05-22-2008, 01:07 AM
When I was a boy, a neighbor devised an electric fence by connecting the house voltage to the wire through a light bulb. My cousin started to cross the fence and grabbed the electrified wire, not knowing that it was hot. He could not turn it loose and my dad had to pry his fingers from the wire. Fortunately, my cousin was not seriously injured.

I too have used a green weed of 2-3 ft in length to test an electric wire.

Bob