PDA

View Full Version : Humungous Picnic Table

madman
05-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I want to build a metal framed picnic table that (and im not kidding will hold 25 to 30 people) I want it to be round and have a nice wooden top. Any ideas guys would be appreciated. I know this souinds wacky but im gonna try to build it. Also it should be able to come apart a bit for moving purposes. I plan on getting the metal pipe work powder coated later on. Also what type of wood finish should be utilized for a long tough surface thats splinter free. ??? Thanx Mike

wierdscience
05-21-2008, 10:13 PM
There was a resturant here called the Roundtable,they had these big round tables that had a big lazy suzan type table in the middle.The cooks brought the bowls of food out and set them around the edge of the lazy suzan table.Everybody served themselves without having to move or hand bowls of food around,they just turned the table to the next bowl.

SGW
05-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Any thoughts on dimensions? For 25-30 people, my guess is you'd need a diameter of about 16 feet. That's figuring 2 feet of circumference per person for 25 people, and being able to cram in another 5 if you want to. Maybe you're assuming people will be friendlier than that. :D

mechanicalmagic
05-21-2008, 10:45 PM
If you have a 16' table per SGW, then it kind of defeats the purpose. There's about 12' of table that can't be used, because nobody can reach there. And yelling across that space is useless in a crowd.

How about a C shape. About 14' OD, 8' ID, that gives a table surface of 3' on the radius. Servers can get in the middle, people can turn around and talk, and pass stuff from side to side. If it's made in three pieces, it should be transportable by standard pickup(s).

Redwood would be the traditional. The plastic woods are in vogue, but beware, they have poor stiffness and strength. IPE (Ironwood) would be my choice, AFTER being sanded.

Mcgyver
05-21-2008, 11:25 PM
how about a donut shape with seating on the inside and out, built in say quarter sections. better yet two donuts shapes, the inside one slowly rotating one way while the outside goes the other so you get to have an up close conversation with half the people.

Swarf&Sparks
05-22-2008, 01:08 AM
For a really tough and easily maintained outdoor finish, google
"deks olje"
Been using it on marine brightwork for years.
It's a two part oil finish. When it gets a bit shabby, you just wipe on a bit more of the finishing oil. The primer oil soaks right into the timber and protects for years.

Evan
05-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Mike,

Build six identical tables like this. Very flexible and much easier to build with all straight parts.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics3/hextable.jpg

A.K. Boomer
05-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I didnt think about the uses for other table options but Evans reply is what I would have suggested, dont go round as its such a hassle and waste of materials, octagon, hexagon, pentagon or even ten or twelve sides, all will inter connect for straight tables and you can also leave a leaf out to get to the center (for barbecue or beer cooler?)

Alistair Hosie
05-22-2008, 04:00 PM
A roller table is what you need !:D seriously a long table looks best and is cosy with people at both sides being able to comunicate with each other good luck Alistair

A.K. Boomer
05-22-2008, 04:12 PM
seriously a long table looks best and is cosy with people at both sides being able to comunicate with each

I would hate that, I dont like anybody looking directly at my food when i eat, I get kinda territorial an also dont want them chewing to close to me either:cool:

kc5ezc
05-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Weird: One of the best catfish restaurants I have eaten in was on the south bank of Caddo Lake in Shreveport LA. Had round tables with lazy suzans in the center. Food came up from the kitchen below the the dining room with dumb waiters and was served family style; just spin the lazy susan and get what you wanted. Yum-Yum!
John Burchett
in Byng OK

ahidley
05-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Not to steal the thread, but you could make it like mine, except bigger ;)

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z80/ahidley/ready4stain.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z80/ahidley/ready4stain.jpg

ahidley
05-27-2008, 11:54 AM
This site went down right after I posted this. Because of it nobody posted!

Alistair Hosie
05-27-2008, 12:10 PM
that's a massive table set up mr Hindley "beautiful" I wish I lived near you there is obviously good wood to be had in your neck of the woods.Alistair