PDA

View Full Version : OT adobe reader

J Harp
05-21-2008, 09:03 PM
How does one get rid of adobe reader 8.1.1. It locks the computer up every time I click on a PDF. I can't open it to find an uninstall feature. Add/remove programs will not uninstall it.

When I try to open or uninstall it I get a " Problem with shortcut" window with the following message. This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows patch package.

I have checked the adobe support page, but none of the methods given there has worked for me. I will install foxit reader if I can lose adobe.

Evan
05-21-2008, 10:29 PM
See here.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb400658

BobC
05-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Disregard. It seems you have already tried Add/Remove Programs.

Select the Control Panel from the Start menu and then select Add or Remove Programs. A screen will then be populated with installed programs. Select the program you wish to remove and choose Remove.

gmatov
05-22-2008, 01:01 AM
I had the same problem this past week.

Got pissed, Add/Remove programs, got rid of it, DLd again, now I can read and receive PDFs.

They CAN be removed via Add/Remove in Control Panel.

Cheers,

George

Ian B
05-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Not sure how you'l get rid of version 8, but assuming that you still want some way of reading Adobe documents, go to www.oldversion.com - they have pretty much every version from 2 to 7 for download, along with a lot of other stuff.

Ideal when you don't want the latest all singing, all dancing bloated version when the previous one worked just fine. Example; Adobe reader v2 - 1.4MB, v7 - 20MB. They both read pdf's...

hth,

Ian

BadDog
05-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Evan turned me onto Foxit some time back. I'll never install Acrobat again, and if at all possible, never install anything by Adobe again.

kendall
05-22-2008, 02:46 AM
I'll second the foxit reader.
If you can find the first version, it doesn't even need an install process, about a 2 meg file, put it on the drive somewhere and open it to associate PDF files with it. New version is good too, just prefer the minimal footprint of the first version

I have a folder that I keep all the handy programs on that don't use installs, aong with constantly referenced data fies, and I've just moved that folder to each new computer I've had for the last few years.

I agree most 'new improved' versions are just bloat, I stopped using newer versions of Adobe a few years ago, stuck with one of the oldest versions till I ran into Foxit

ken.

Alguy
05-22-2008, 02:50 AM
ditto on foxit lot less bloat:D

John Stevenson
05-22-2008, 03:23 AM
I think Adobe is owned / written by Norton :D

Two of the most invasive programs you can get.

smiller6912
05-22-2008, 08:00 AM
You could try to do a system restore to a point before the problem started and then try the Add-Remove. This has worked for me on other problem uninstalls.
Just a thought..............

lazlo
05-22-2008, 09:40 AM
FoxIt is great, but it falls-down in two places: it doesn't correctly support scripted forms, and it doesn't do a good job of browser/link integration, especially with FireFox.

The scripted .PDF's is annoying -- a lot of companies require scripted PDF forms (I just renewed my passport, and the form 82 is a scripted PDF). The last two major FoxIt updates tried to make scripted forms work, but they're not there yet...

So whenever I need that feature I have to install Adobe Reader, then immediately uninstall it afterwards.

pcarpenter
05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I agree with Robert. I tried FoxIt Reader on Evan's recommendation some time back. Its mostly happy but for encrypted documents and some others. If I try to load catalog pages from Grainger.com, for example, I get a warning that I must have Adobe Reader installed...implying they can check.

The trouble with Adobe Reader best I can tell is that when its due for an update and you try to open a document with it....it goes off and tries to download the updates "in the background" but it really ties up the machine making it completely unusable. As was noted, the problem goes away with a complete re-install because its up to date.

Its bloated anyway. We found that when the web version was opened, a piece remained running after exit...tying up memory. Its memory footprint is also huge....much bigger than MS word, for example. When a document editor is smaller than a viewer, its a pretty bad sign in my book.

Paul

lazlo
05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
The trouble with Adobe Reader best I can tell is that when its due for an update and you try to open a document with it....it goes off and tries to download the updates "in the background" but it really ties up the machine making it completely unusable.

I hate that friggin' Adobe update service. I have the full version of Acrobat for work, and it does the same thing -- it phones home constantly checking for updates, and probably also checking your license. There's a dialog box where you can select how often it checks for updates (but "never" is not an option :( ), but the dialog box doesn't seem to change anything -- it seems like it's constantly phoning-home.

I've tried disabling the update service, but that locks-up Acrobat (I think that's intentional).

If anyone knows how to selectively remove the updater, there's a 6-pack in it for you! :)

kendall
05-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Don't know if it will work for the more recent versions, but what I used to do is compile an 'empty' program with the name of the program I didn't want to run. (save time, write one and copy/rename as needed) That way the program runs, but doesn't do anything. Won't work with all programs, some are expecting input of some sort, so you need to figure out what they need, others take the lack of input to mean go-ahead. bat files work as well if you rename them to .exe

ken.

Edit: some batch commands return an error when run as an executeable.

J Harp
05-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't had a chance to work on it today, but when I do get a chance I will try a system restore to mid March and then see if add/remove will uninstall it. It seems kind of goofy but the general tab in the properties box shows it was created on 3-28-2008 and modified on 1-12-2008. I'm hoping an update on 3-28 is the culprit and maybe can be removed by a system restore.

John Stevenson
05-22-2008, 07:46 PM
I hate that friggin' Adobe update service.

If anyone knows how to selectively remove the updater, there's a 6-pack in it for you! :)

Delete a folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5