PDA

View Full Version : 5C Spin Indexer

snowman
05-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Will I be able to cut a gear using a 5C spin indexer?

I want to hold an arbor in the spindex, arbor will be held by a tailstock and a collet. All the spindex will be used for is indexing.

I'm just not sure how rigid they are, I've never used one before.

dp
05-22-2008, 01:18 AM
I cut a brass gear with mine as the first project I did with it after I bought it. In fact making gears is the only reason I bought it. I also cut a couple steel gears with it, too. The next time I use it will be to cut a new ratchet wheel for my shaper and I'm going to use the shaper to do it.

I'm fortunate in that each gear I've needed could be indexed with the Spin indexer (for tooth count). I'm going to come up against it one of these days and won't be able to use it and will have to buy the real thing. Damn the bad luck. Good thing I have a happy wife.

John Stevenson
05-22-2008, 04:28 AM
Yes they will be rigid enough but be warned that as DP says the tooth count matters.
It has to be divisable into 360 degrees or you will need a different index plate from the one supplied.

Or you want one of these :D

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/5cindexer.jpg

snowman
05-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Your picture didn't come through John.

I have a dividing head, but I need to make some repairs on it...and simply am not that interested in doing that right now.

Timleech
05-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Your picture didn't come through John.

Something strange going on. It wasn't there first time I looked, then it was a bit later.
Just now when I looked at the latest post, John's pic showed & then vanished after a few seconds.

Tim

tiptop
05-22-2008, 10:56 AM
John that set up looks very interesting. Do you have a couple more pictures of it or can you elaborate on the subject? What kind of connection did you use between the gear box and the indexer? Not trying to steal your thread snowman just interested. Jay

Duffy
05-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Dennis: Is that rachet for an auto downfeed on an Atlas shaper?

dp
05-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Dennis: Is that rachet for an auto downfeed on an Atlas shaper?

No - my old shaper has no such bells and whistles. It is for the cross-feed. The current feed rate is too high for many operations. Certainly this shaper was never intended for fine work, but I'd like to get a bit more out of it. I calculated the smallest feed rate I can get now is 0.012"/stroke. Pix and vid here: http://TheVirtualBarAndGrill.com/machinery/

Quetico Bob
05-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Snowman, was wondering the same thing. How many holes or positions does your indexer have in it? Have a chance to look at a used universal dividing head tomorrow but think it may be out of my price range. Right now I'm using my lathe in low gear, marked the chuck for divisions and use the carriage as sort of a shaper. Slow and not very accurate.

Super nice set up John, did you build the gear box?
Cheers, Bob

Alistair Hosie
05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Looks good Dennis nice old piece of iron that shaper glad you have it cutting ok now.Your driver did a good job by the looks of it.Alistair

ahidley
05-23-2008, 09:07 AM
You need a rotary table or some way to accuratly rotate for each cut. Now if your cutting a gear with a number of teeth that divides evenly into 360 then yes you can use the indexer. Its when you need to go into degrees, miniutes, seconds. Otherwise the tooth spacing wont be equal.

dp
05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Here's a great vid that demonstrates cutting a spur gear on a mill using a dividing head with a tail stock. It starts out a bit slow then kicks into high gear. Turn up the volume :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

ahidley
05-23-2008, 02:46 PM
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z80/ahidley/5CuttingGearTeeth1.jpg

Rotary table with tail stock on a HARBOR FREIGHT 3 in 1

And they said it couldnt be done!!! And its not a staged pic..

snowman
05-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I was asking only about the rigidity. I'm only doing a 24 tooth gear, so spacing is not an issue. I have a dividing head, but lately I can't concentrate well enough to use that.