PDA

View Full Version : making a cylinder smaller

hmcl281
05-22-2008, 12:58 PM
i wanted to purchase a rotary table to mill some cylinder smaller. would a rotary table me my best option for a milling machine?

thanks

Mcgyver
05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
perhaps, but that's a bit like saying i have some stuff to move, will a truck do the trick? Describe in more detail what you are trying to make and what equipment you have. Do you have a lathe? Can you turn it? Can you use a boring head?

hmcl281
05-22-2008, 01:15 PM
no lathe.

round out the back end of the delrin rod. also would like to remove the bottom ring of the metal pin
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/hmcl281/pbnation%205/half%20kit%20and%20blocks/DSC06313.jpg

lwalker
05-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Can the cylinder fit into a collet in the mill? I have used my mill as a lathe by doing this and holding the cutting tool in a vise.

hmcl281
05-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Can the cylinder fit into a collet in the mill? I have used my mill as a lathe by doing this and holding the cutting tool in a vise.

i tried that approach on with the smaller metal pin by inserting it into the drill chuck of the mill. but the delrin rod is too big. it's about .68 and my drill chuck biggest opening is about .50. i also did not know if it was a safe thing to use the mill that way.

pcarpenter
05-22-2008, 01:54 PM
You need collets for your mill. I would be surprised if you can't get collets up close to that size in just about any common mill spindle taper.

You really do, however, need to be a little less cryptic and tell us what you have to work with (what kind of mill, what spindle taper etc). If you can grip that pin in a collet, you can fixture something to hold a lathe tool bit and use the table to advance it into the work and the mill quill (if you have one?) to move the work past the cutter.

Paul

hmcl281
05-22-2008, 02:07 PM
You need collets for your mill. I would be surprised if you can't get collets up close to that size in just about any common mill spindle taper.

You really do, however, need to be a little less cryptic and tell us what you have to work with (what kind of mill, what spindle taper etc). If you can grip that pin in a collet, you can fixture something to hold a lathe tool bit and use the table to advance it into the work and the mill quill (if you have one?) to move the work past the cutter.

Paul

i have this as the milling machine with collets to hold the end mill. also a swilve vise.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOP-FOX-M1007-2hp-Milling-Machine-New-in-Crate_W0QQitemZ170156373495QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6691 7QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1 638Q2em118Q2el1247

i do not have a problem holding the end mill but trying to mill all the way around a cylinder. is it safe mounting the work piece into the collet or drill chuck and moving the end mill towards the work piece?

rantbot
05-22-2008, 02:29 PM
is it safe mounting the work piece into the collet or drill chuck and moving the end mill towards the work piece?
Collet, yes, if it's the right collet and fits the part. Drill chuck, maybe not so much.

pcarpenter
05-22-2008, 03:56 PM
As I mentioned in my first post, you would use something like a lathe tool bit to do the turning. In effect, you are using your mill like a lathe.

Perhaps AK Boomer will reply with some pictures. He doesn't even own a lathe and uses his mill this way quite a bit, having bought a chuck mounted on an R-8 arbor to hold the work etc. Its not something I would want to do on an ongoing basis, but it can be done.

You may want to find someone with a lathe until you get around to owning one yourself. There's nothing like using the right tool for the job :)

Paul