PDA

View Full Version : bad paint scheme for a shop floor

aostling
05-22-2008, 07:57 PM
My shop shares space with my car in the garage. The painted concrete floor has flecks in it, of all sizes, making it almost impossible to spot any small foreign object (like a set screw). If I drop something, I have to get a broom and sweep to find it.

The Western banded gecko was hiding under my rear tire. I'm glad I spotted it when I opened the door this morning. It is still hiding somewhere in there, so maybe I will get another look.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/Westernbandedgecko.jpg

A.K. Boomer
05-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Very cool, blends right in!

Carld
05-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Was he trying to sell you insurance?:eek:

aostling
05-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Was he trying to sell you insurance?:eek:

In fact I did recently switch to GEICO. Maybe they sent him for a satisfaction survey.

Paul Alciatore
05-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Most floor tile patterns are designed to hide dirt and small trash. It is kind of like sweeping it under the rug for lazy Americans. No rug and no sweeping. I tried to buy plain white tiles for the shop at work. No one in a tri county area had any. Wound up with the speckled "white" tiles. Yes, it is almost impossible to find anything you drop.

It used to be easier in the 60s. Pants had cuffs. Any dropped object had a better than 75% chance of being caught in the cuff. I always looked there first and most times it was right there.

As for finding things on floor tiles, the best way I have found is to use a flashlight at a grazing angle and looking for the long shadow of the object I dropped as I sweep the beam aroung. Of course, you have to be on all fours.

OOps, I just looked at my pants. Cuffs are back. When did that happen? I must have blinked. In the 90s perhaps?

brian Rupnow
05-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Those pant cuffs were always a really great place for catching weld sparks. I can't remember how many times I almost set my darn pant legs on fire while electric welding.---Nothing to compare however with the time the blob of molten brazing rod rolled off the top of a Ford pickup fender and down the top of my leather workboot!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Alistair Hosie
05-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Brian I when I first met my wife was travelling in her fathers car we were pretty cramped in there two in the front and three or four in the back .I travelled between London and Wales with my future new wife on my knee.As we were heading down the motorway in this small vehicle my future wifes mother threw a lit cigarette out of the passenger window where it promptly came in the back window and down the neck of my shirt.we had to suddenly screech to a halt and then try to quickly empty the car.It was just a two door car with all of us having to climb in to the back through the front seat and over what a stupid thing to do I was mightily annoyed I can tell you.:D:DAlistair

Charlie C
05-23-2008, 01:37 PM
But Alistair look at what you got for that small inconvenience, a life long companion.:D

h12721
05-23-2008, 09:21 PM
There is a high percentage that what ever falls down is lying in a 20"diameter

2ManyHobbies
05-24-2008, 01:07 AM

If only things like that actually fell. Usually it is a pling followed by a click-click-click halfway across the room. PIFF is always a comforting noise, because it means that one of a kind spring or roller made it to a pile of wood chips and sawdust. :eek:

I tend to find things like that months later balancing on the very edge of a shelf or brace under a workbench or something. The only time I can count on it making it to the floor is when I'm standing over a bucket of sludge or a crack in pavement!

Evan
05-24-2008, 08:01 AM
I have been dissecting a string of LED Christmas lights to obtain the 3mm white LEDS contained therein. So far I have dropped three of those LEDs on the floor. They are too small to make a perceptible noise and are not especially bouncy. I haven't yet found any of them. My pants don't have cuffs.

I did however drop a larger part yesterday. Before I realized that I had dropped it it had already landed in my other (much lower placed) hand which was facing palm up for unrelated reasons. It was really rather odd.

I tend to drop parts a lot because my fine motor control of my hands isn't that good anymore. I also knock things off the edge of the work bench frequently. I have developed a compensating stategy that works amazingly well. When I see something in the process of falling off the bench I reach to catch it from well below instead of try to stop it or grab it before it falls.

wierdscience
05-24-2008, 08:19 AM
This is where you need a largish cardboard box,with a pair of gloves taped in place and preferably a lid to catch all the scrapnell:D

Me I have an empty bead blast cabinet I work it when it counts,it's equiped with a funnel bottom so even the most energitic parts can't jump accross the room.Everything goes in the bucket wether it wants to or not:D

quadrod
05-24-2008, 09:41 AM
"most things fall in a 20 inch diameter" thats if you are standing in a 40 inch room :D

Paul Alciatore
05-24-2008, 12:52 PM

Only in a carpeted room.

Scishopguy
05-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Paul has it right on. Even on a concrete floor a small screw or spring can blend into the gray background. If you take a flashlight (like a Mag Lite) and focus the beam in to a narrow pattern, that little part will stick out like a sore thumb. The only time that this technique does not work too well is when the floor is covered with the chips from fly cutting aluminum, then they all stand out.

aostling
05-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Frank has the right idea, with his tiny part pickup machine http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/ForFun/ScrewFinder/screwfinder.html.