PDA

View Full Version : 7 Inch Logan Shaper Question

carlquib
05-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Did Logan make a version of the 7 inch shaper without the variable speed adjustment and no stand? I was pursuing a small shaper that the gentleman says is a logan, but I have never seen a Logan without the variable speed drive. Granted my knowledge of Logan shapers is limited. I haven't had a chance to meet this shaper in person yet, darn work thing. Pictures are supposed to be on the way.

-brian

JRouche
05-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Hi Brian.. I have a Logan 7" I have completely tore her down and gone through it. I love it.. http://www.neme-s.org/shapers/columns/shaper_column_45.html

By the way all the mechanicals are I dont see an "above" drive been manufactured.

But... The top section does unbolt from the base so I could see someone removing the base and bench mounting it with a drive at bench level. Would be real easy to do. And you could even make it variable speed with the right motor setup. Just a matter of driving the large pulley. And it would clear a bench.. JR

Before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/Logan%20shaper/dayone.jpg

After
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/Logan%20shaper/done.jpg

carlquib
05-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Wow JR, that is a nice looking restoration. How much does it weigh? I want a small shaper that I can get down stairs. I want the biggest one I can easily get down the stairs but shapers are as scarce as hens teeth around here. I guess I just need stouter stairs so I could get my Rockford into the basement. The biggest thing I have taken down so far is the lathe. It weighs right at 2400 pounds, but I don't think it is nearly as top heavy as a shaper would be, plus the foot print of the lathe would be quite a bit larger than a shaper. My 16" Gemco weighs about 3600 pounds and the Rockford weighs right around 12,500 pounds if I remember right.

-brian

JRouche
05-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Wow JR, that is a nice looking restoration. How much does it weigh? I want a small shaper that I can get down stairs. I want the biggest one I can easily get down the stairs but shapers are as scarce as hens teeth around here. I guess I just need stouter stairs so I could get my Rockford into the basement. The biggest thing I have taken down so far is the lathe. It weighs right at 2400 pounds, but I don't think it is nearly as top heavy as a shaper would be, plus the foot print of the lathe would be quite a bit larger than a shaper. My 16" Gemco weighs about 3600 pounds and the Rockford weighs right around 12,500 pounds if I remember right.

-brian

Well heck, from the sounds of it the lil Logan will be simple.. I am gonna guess the weight at under or around 400lbs, tops I think. I used a engine hoist to get it outta my wifes 4runner. And the top section is "liftable" by a person. So you could remove the base and it would be real easy for you.. You have some major shapers there!!! This lil one might disappoint.. Thanks.... JR

MickeyD
05-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Brian, most of the 7" shapers weigh under 300 pounds with the bases removed, so they should be a piece of cake compared to the lathe. The later Logan's are listed as 700 pounds with the base, so somewhat less like you describe. http://lathes.co.uk has a nice section on shapers and has some good info on the Logan.

I bought a little 8" Shape-Rite and love playing with it but hate the mess that it makes. Besides a paint job, I am going to have to make some sort of an enclosure/chip deflector so that I will not be afraid to use it (I am in an attached garage and tracking chips into the house causes big problems). I believe that the Shape-Rite is the heavy weight of the common 8" and under shapers and it only weighs about 750 on the base. Beware if you buy one of these things, they are addictive. I found a nice 32" beast that would be here in a heart beat if I had a place to put it.

carlquib
05-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks, for the replies so far. Still wondering if anyone knows if Logan made a 7 inch without the variable speed thing or if this might be a bastardized Logan or is it something else. When I talked to the guy he thought that it was a logan but wasn't sure. He is mailing pictures because he said he is too old to do the email thing. It is 330 miles away so I can't just run and look.

JR, I doubt I will be disappointed. Probably won't be able to peel knarly springs like the other shapers, but if I can use it in my warm basement instead of having to drive 2 1/2 miles to the cold shop it will be fine.

-brian

lazlo
05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Wow, that is a stunning restoration John! Are you afraid to use it? :)

The chain-driven vari-speed is neat -- never seen that before...

carlquib
05-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Any Logan shaper enthusiasts out there who can answer my original question?

-brian