PDA

View Full Version : source for quality 3AT collets?

bhjones
05-25-2008, 12:48 AM
The title pretty much sums it up.

My Atlas came with 3AT collets and I'd like to fill out the size selection. I see an E-Bay vendor sells some import collets in 16th divisions but I'm wondering if there are any other choices.

Thanks.

Frank K
05-25-2008, 06:02 AM
You could check these folks out:

Http://www.hardingetooling.com

I've purchased a couple of odd ball 3AT collets for my Atlas from them. Quality was excellent but be prepared to pay $40+ each. There are cheaper places but I needed it NOW.

SGW
05-25-2008, 08:36 AM
www.travers.com has 3AT collets at $20-$25 each. I find their website to be almost impossible to use, however, so have patience. It may be easier to request a hardcopy catalog and order from that. I have no idea how the quality is, but my general experience with Travers over the years has been pretty good.

bhjones
05-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I ran across that site shortly after posting this question.

I'm sure the quality is great, but the price is hard to swallow. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to sell off my 3AT stuff and outfit the machine with 3C, they seem to be easier to find. If I'm going to that amount of trouble, I should also consider ER-32 collets.

Thanks.

You could check these folks out:

Http://www.hardingetooling.com

I've purchased a couple of odd ball 3AT collets for my Atlas from them. Quality was excellent but be prepared to pay $40+ each. There are cheaper places but I needed it NOW.

SGW
05-25-2008, 04:01 PM
3C and 3AT are sort-of interchangeable, with slight mods to the drawbar.

You could also check out www.plazamachinery.com for used collets.

How many collets do you need?

bhjones
05-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Looking through what I have I was thinking it would be nice to at least have a complete set in 1/16's. I have a random set of collets and some of them are beat up and worn out.

I'll keep poking around, something will come up.

3C and 3AT are sort-of interchangeable, with slight mods to the drawbar.

You could also check out www.plazamachinery.com for used collets.

How many collets do you need?

J Tiers
05-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Victor machinery also has them, and has had square and hex as well.

platypus2020
05-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Victor machinery also has them, and has had square and hex as well.

I was typing as you posted.

Jack

http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/index.html

Al Messer
05-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Use Travers' tol free 800 number and place your order with a real human being.

GRH
05-26-2008, 03:46 PM
I always buy mine from Travers tool , good price ,service (usually 2 days) and reallygood quality, I Never buy used stuff like this from Flea-Bay.
Again seconding Al Messer's advice use their 800 # and talk to a real person.

Regards Graeme