PDA

View Full Version : nylon patch for screws

hmcl281
05-26-2008, 12:46 PM
does any one know where i can purchase the nylone patch for screws? they r usually blue in color and found on the tip of screws to prevent the screws from losening

SGW
05-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Personally, I'd check out various grades of Loctite.

coldformer
05-26-2008, 01:37 PM
try www.nylok.com

Paul Alciatore
05-26-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't know where you can buy the nylon buttons separately from the screws that already have them.

I do have a work-around that I have used with good success. A piece (or two or three for larger sizes) of fishing line inserted into the hole or nut before the screw will lock it just as well. It will also allow adjustment just like the nylon inserts will. But you will have to use new fishing line if the screw is removed and reinstalled. The nice thing about this is it can be used with any screw, not just the types made with the inserts. And it is inexpensive. A single roll of fishing line should last a home shop a lifetime.

hmcl281
05-26-2008, 02:00 PM
thanks for the replies. i would rather use the nylon instead of locktite if i can find it. i was just wondering if they sold it the same way they sell locktite in a bottle. it was going to be mainly used for my paintball markers

Bill Pace
05-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Another trick is to use weed-whacker line, --- drill the appropriate size hole in your screw/bolt and stick a piece in...I usually put a drop of super glue in the hole before, sometimes it'll wanna come out before it gets into the threads.

Evan
05-26-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm not clear on what it is you want exactly. Do you want locking nuts with the nylon insert? Or, do you want some sort of screw that has nylon incorporated in some way (which I haven't seen)?

SDL
05-26-2008, 02:07 PM
does any one know where i can purchase the nylone patch for screws? they r usually blue in color and found on the tip of screws to prevent the screws from losening

We use screws at work with blue nylon patches on the side, but the Fastner supplier arranges it, I will see if i can find the trade name at work tomorrow.

Steve Larner

hmcl281
05-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm not clear on what it is you want exactly. Do you want locking nuts with the nylon insert? Or, do you want some sort of screw that has nylon incorporated in some way (which I haven't seen)?

i would like to apply it to various screws myself. i'm looking for the nylon or a rubbery application form not the screw or nuts.

dp
05-26-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www.nylok.com/products_bluepellet.htm

I've also used weed wacker line and even elastic bands. The fishline seems like an idea worth trying.

Rustybolt
05-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Locktight is good. If you can find some powdered nylon(expensive) Heat the screw to about 400 deg.F and sprinkle some on. That's basically how we do it. It's good for a half dozen or so cycles.

platypus2020
05-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I use Vibratite, by ND Industries, brush on, let dry.

Jack

http://www.ndindustries.com/vibratite.jsp

hmcl281
05-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I use Vibratite, by ND Industries, brush on, let dry.

Jack

http://www.ndindustries.com/vibratite.jsp

that's what i'm looking for. thank u