PDA

View Full Version : 5C collets from CDCO

bob ward
05-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Any comments on the good bad or ugly of CDCO's 5C collet sets?

gr8life
05-27-2008, 01:35 AM
Bought a bunch in 1/64 sizes, most ok. A few have bad external threads. They say send them back & they will replace them. In the end they were cheap & you get what you pay for.
good luck
ed

carlquib
05-27-2008, 01:47 AM
My experience has been the same as Ed's. I have a set from cdco that are pretty good, but have had to file some of the keyways to get them to easily slip into the spindles and collet chucks. I haven't checked all of then but on the ones that I have checked the accuracy is pretty good, not a Hardinge, but I didn't pay $32 a piece either.

-brian

JRouche
05-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Kinda curious, not that it may be answered here but I wonder if they (CDCO set) are more than likely manufactured from the same plant as you would get from Enco or a similar discount retailer. Like how many plants in China could be set up to mass produce something as mundane as a collet.

And my 64ths set I got from enco (and I have got the same good quality from CDCO) are just fine. I wonder when the slow boat of inexpensive tooling is gonna hit us in our wallet.

To be honest, I could never have afforded a 64th set it they were not imported so inexpensively. And sure, with a good amount of searching you could get a used set of American or similar quality for about three times as much. But unless you stole it from an unsuspecting widow they are gonna come from a well used shop. And the most used sizes are gonna be well used. For my purposes the import set works just fine... JR

bob ward
05-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Thanks guys.

From what I can see of the 5C collet market there 2 extremes. There are either the too expensive for a home shop good quality brand name collets or low price imports of potentially variable quality and nothing in between.

I'll order from CDCO and keep my fingers crossed.

PaulT
05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Regarding 5C's, I tried to go mid-priced and bought some Lyndex ones but the thread OD was oversized on a lot of them (wouldn't thread smoothly into my Royal closer) and run out was poor. This was a couple of years ago, maybe they've fixed these problems, but back then I had to send them back.

Ended up going with a cheapo 1/64" set from Enco along with a select few "real" Hardinge collets at commonly used sizes where I need best accuracy. This worked out well, the cheapo ones were better than the Lyndex ones on run out and since they are cheap to replace I don't worry about abusing them.

One thing about the cheap chinese collets is they seem to be slightly undersized compared to real Hardinge collets but if that's causing a problem I just grab the next size up, crank her down and let 'er rip, haven't hurt a collet yet so far.

Paul T.

KiloBravo
05-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Kinda curious, not that it may be answered here but I wonder if they (CDCO set) are more than likely manufactured from the same plant as you would get from Enco or a similar discount retailer. Like how many plants in China could be set up to mass produce something as mundane as a collet.

I talked to Frank from CDCO at Cabin Fever in 06. His cousin lives in China and sends all the stuff over, sourced from the same companies as ENCO and the like according to him. Since Frank's cousin lives in China Frank probably gets some great deals. Maybe they ship them as Farm implements to get around import duties ;)

SGW
05-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Just curious, why would one ever want, say, a 51/64" collet, for anything? It seems pointless to me to buy a 64ths set, when the odds are extremely high that a lot of the sizes will never, ever, get used. For collets, I'd probably get:

1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1

If I needed any other size I'd buy it when I needed it.

JRouche
05-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Just curious, why would one ever want, say, a 51/64" collet, for anything? It seems pointless to me to buy a 64ths set, when the odds are extremely high that a lot of the sizes will never, ever, get used.

Cause they are inexpensive!!!! LOL Oh, and 51/64 is pretty good for 20mm.. Works for me... JR

JRouche
05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I talked to Frank from CDCO at Cabin Fever in 06. His cousin lives in China and sends all the stuff over, sourced from the same companies as ENCO and the like according to him. Since he lives in China he probably gets some great deals. Maybe they ship them as Farm implements to get around import duties ;)

Hey kben77, I talked to Frank on the phone. Nice enough guy.. Ill buy from him again.... JR

gnm109
05-29-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't mean to steal this thread but I just received my new 6" Horizontal/Vertical rotary table with indexing disc kit and tailpost. The quality of the tools is excellent and I couldn't be happier at the prices. Frank was very pleasant and easy to deal with when I spoke to him on the telephone about my order.

I did a lot of online shopping at Enco, Grizzly and CDCO before buying. The Grizzly tables and associated parts are identical to the CDCO parts at slightly higher prices. The ones at Enco look similar with different finish and much higher prices.

Shipping seemed a little high on the parts I received but to be honest, they were quite heavy. I think that you will be seeing sizeable price increases in shipping in the near term based on the fuel prices that we are witnessing these days.

I found out about CDCO on this site and I'm glad I did. The next purchase will be a few more of his BXA tool holders. They are quite reasonable.

My 2 cents. Now back to your regularly-scheduled thread posts. ;)

KiloBravo
05-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Hey kben77, I talked to Frank on the phone. Nice enough guy.. Ill buy from him again.... JR

I updated my original post Frank lives by Chicago, Frank's Cousin lives in China and sources the items for CDCO.

I did too :) I wasn't being critical of CDCO. I buy from them all the time.
I probably bought $2K worth of stuff from them so far. My most recent purchase was the 2-axis DRO for my Sq Column Mill. I called Frank because the scales were different from the ones he lists on the site. Frank was more than happy to give the scale sizes I needed and at the lowest price listed.

Spin Doctor
05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Just curious, why would one ever want, say, a 51/64" collet, for anything? It seems pointless to me to buy a 64ths set, when the odds are extremely high that a lot of the sizes will never, ever, get used. For collets, I'd probably get:

1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1

If I needed any other size I'd buy it when I needed it.

I can think of a couple of reasons, that may or may not apply to the HSM. One is that when making parts that will have to be finish ground after heat treating it is usually customary to leave .015" stock for grinding. If the finished part is .875 then a 57/64th collet is mighty darn useful. The second it holding odd size stock. This is one area I happen to agree that the ER style collet has the 5C beat six ways to Sunday. But the 5C still has it over the ER because all of the rest of it's bag of tricks