PDA

View Full Version : OT--- Pimp my ride part 2

A.K. Boomer
05-27-2008, 04:40 AM
How many of you catz done window tinting? I absolutely hate it, never have gotten it quite right, now that I got the yodertoy more respectable with the economy thing Im thinking a nice little MP3 player and window tint, even though the cars not really my cup of tea - cant go wrong as it will sell for more and more,
did some of the window tint tonight, what a nightmare --- just as I remembered it along time ago, I brought this up because no matter how bad things seem there's always something to cheer you up when your going through hell --- I remember seeing two gurlios 8 miles from here in florence colo. --- I was just driving by, they were putting window tinting on their car outside -- in a windstorm, I remember seeing all kinds of sand in the freshly wetted tint and then saying to myself - welp - wouldnt have been quite the fuqe up if they would have tried to paste the tint on the inside of the car:eek: (they were applying it on the outside of the windows- in a wind storm, a really really bad windstorm that was actually sandblasting the tint)

I guess my point is - no matter how bad you screw up - someone else has most probably trumped you.

another classic i seen on a drive by (about 15 years ago) Couple of mezkin Kids doing their own brake job, cars up on jackstands and their doing the fronts, you know the red "membrane" anti sqweal that you apply to the back of the pads --- they had the entire tube of it smeared over both front rotor surfaces and it was gooping out of all the pads friction sides ------- Things could be worse fellas ;)

Evan
05-27-2008, 08:20 AM
I have applied the plastic window tint film to every company vehicle I drove when employed by Xerox. The parts we carried are heat sensitive. Number one: cleanliness IS godliness.

First though how you do it depends on the window. If it has a compound curve, that is it curves in both X and Y, then the film must be applied in narrow strips. How narrow depends on the amount of curve and can be determined by experimenting with one strip. Start with a strip at least a couple of feet long and four inches wide. Apply with soapy water or Windex/equivalent and squegee it out. If it won't lay flat no matter what then go to a three inch wide strip and try again. If that doesn't work either then fuggit.

Most windows are not compound curved as that is expensive. In either case the first thing to do is make the inside of the vehicle clean. Wipe down all around the windows with cleaner. Then wash the windows. Then use a new single edge razor blade and go over every square inch of the window using some Windex as lubricant. If you skip any areas they WILL contain specks that will cause a blemish.

Prepare the film to apply by cutting it at least one inch oversize all the way around. If necessary use a sheet of paper to make a pattern. I go to the local newspaper and ask the pressman for roll ends of newsprint. They will often be happy to give you a roll with maybe 50 feet or more of newsprint on it.

When you have the film cut to size do NOT peel the backing off. Only get it started in one corner, just enough to grab on to. If you apply a little tab of tape to each side it makes it easy to separate the film from the backing. Do NOT peel the backing off YET.

Arrange the film sheet in the most convenient location possible for application. have the Windex, squeegee and razorblades handy.

Spray the entire window with Windex. Place the sheet in position and NOW peel the backing off starting at a top corner. As it comes off pat the sheet onto the glass. DO NOT touch the glass side of the peeled film. If the window begins to dry out stop peeling and give it a soaking with more Windex. Once you have the entire sheet peeled and attached to the window spray the inside of the sheet with Windex.

Starting in the center begin working out bubbles and excess fluid toward the nearest edges. Always keep the film wet while doing this. If you missed a lump of crud you can peel the film back and scrape it off with the razor and wash it away with the Windex.

Once you have the film well squeegeed all the way to the edges then use the razor to trim it. Leave a small margin of about 1/8th inch all the way around so the film doesn't touch the weather stripping.

Check the film in 30 minutes in case any areas near the edge have lifted. Wet the film again and squeegee them down. Don't be worried about small amounts of fluid that may be trapped under the film. It will evaporate through the film in a few days. Also don't be concerned if it is slightly hazy. That will also disappear in a few days. What won't disappear is bubbles. You can get away with lifting the film a bit with plenty of Windex applied as you do so in order to work out bubbles near the edge. You can also use a pin to puncture bubbles further in and allow the trapped air to escape while you squeegee the bubble out.

If you are applying strips do not overlap them. Butt the edges or even leave a very slight gap, it will look fine.

Note: If you have a very clean work area you can pre-peel the backing and then wet the entire sheet of film with Windex just before applying it to the window. If you drop it or otherwise contaminate it then toss it.

Gator
05-27-2008, 09:51 AM
It has been a few years since applying window tinting and had forgotten some of the finer points which you mentioned.
I have ordered a CamoWrap kit for my hunting truck and am a little hesitant about applying it. I think it will be OK as long as I have some assistance for the larger areas. The five sheets come in 4' x 5' which will be more than enough to cover the mini truck that I use for hunting. The film will be applied inside of a garage - out of the wind - which we have an abundance of here in Oklahoma.

Larry

mjydrafter
05-27-2008, 10:05 AM
now that I got the yodertoy more respectable with the economy thing

What is a Yodertoy? The reason I ask is the Y in mjydrafter... :)

I've heard of a Yoder Hammer, but not a Yodertoy.

A.K. Boomer
05-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Yodertoy; Toyoder; Toyota, Thanks for the details Evan, I did mess up with the razor preparation --- no matter how clean you think you get the glass there may be a little bump in there --

I did read the directions because its been so long ago, It said specifically "Do not use Windex" ?
It told me to mix up one tablespoon of "lemon joy" to a gallon of water for the spray bottle, I go to the kitchen to see what kind of dishwashing detergent I have (Hell -- I dont know, I only do them once in a great while as most of the dirty ones are stored in the freezer so they dont smell)
What do I have? Lemon joy - go figure. Im dreading going out to the shop this morning because if it didnt look good with a 6 pack of "hard cider" in me last night its not going to get any better this morning...

Evan
05-27-2008, 10:37 AM
One thing I forgot to mention. If you apply the film to a roll down window then after it has dried for a week (Don't roll it down during that time) apply a thin line of clear nail polish all around the window film at the edge to seal it in place so the weather strip doesn't loosen and peel it off.
[edit]
Windex works fine unless they have changed the film formula recently. The main thing about Windex and other similar window cleaning products is that they are made with completely demineralized water that will leave no trace behind when it evaporates. Most people don't realize that the plastic film is actually slightly porous to water and any trapped liquid will gradually pass through the film. Also, don't try applying it when the vehicle is hot. The window must stay soaking wet during the application.

mochinist
05-27-2008, 12:57 PM
It has been a few years since applying window tinting and had forgotten some of the finer points which you mentioned.
I have ordered a CamoWrap kit for my hunting truck and am a little hesitant about applying it. I think it will be OK as long as I have some assistance for the larger areas. The five sheets come in 4' x 5' which will be more than enough to cover the mini truck that I use for hunting. The film will be applied inside of a garage - out of the wind - which we have an abundance of here in Oklahoma.

LarryDo you hunt out of the truck? Never understood camo painting vehicles just seems like it would make it harder to find your vehicle after a long hike/hunt.

Anyways I worked for a window tinter for about a month in HS and Evan pretty much described the process. My opinion is that it is a giant pain in the a55 and is one of those things that is worth paying a pro to do, plus it usually has a warranty that way and they will pay for any mistakes,

CINCI585
05-29-2008, 08:18 PM
I heard that windex with amonia will cause discoloration of window tint. The tint usually turns an ugly purple color. I use window cleaners without amonia never a problem.

Lee

J. Randall
05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I think the household Windex with ammonia is what gave it a bad rap with the tinters. The other would probably work fine. My oldest son used to do tint and tops for a living, and he would not use anything but the dishsoap in water. He used an old stainless coke syrup dispenser with a spray wand.

Gator, I used to put a lot of vinyl signs on Co. pickups, I don't think your camo kit would be to hard, just get it real clean and use lots of liquid and a plastic sqeugee and work the bubbles out from the center.
James

JRouche
05-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Also one lil thing I do, done a few cars.. I cut the tint on the OUTSIDE of the window. Makes things easier. JR

A.K. Boomer
05-29-2008, 10:36 PM
I did the other side today, it turned out worse than yesterday, I thought i had a good stab at it cuz Yesterday i was drinking, Nope , sober as a judge and its a little worse, still exceptible though, one thing I learned --- I had a little dirt under one area, mitsubishi roller rocker mowed it right down:D also,,, the little areas that wont quite laydown that are under the window seal at the bottom, get out a crisp deck of cards, start by one and then add as many as you need between the seal and the tint, I got it to lay down in the sun and all is good now.