PDA

View Full Version : Ot - Dvd Burners

snowman
05-30-2008, 08:53 AM
I am out of computer world.

What do I need to burn dvd's that will play in a standard dvd player for my tv?

I have the video files in avi, quicktime, mpeg, etc format. I just want to clear up some space on my laptop, and be able to send videos to relatives, even if they aren't the best of quality.

Evan
05-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Nero Burning Rom, 30 day fully functional free trial.

http://www.nero8-download.com/

I assume you have a dvd burner. If not then buy one that comes with Nero, it is commonly bundled with DVD burners.

barryvabeach
05-30-2008, 10:21 PM
go to
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders
They have a ton of how to guides that explain the whole process. If you are lucky, your dvd burner may come with the software you need. In general you need software that will convert the video into a format that is suitable to put on a dvd and a burner that will burn it onto a dvd. Nero does both, as do others such as Power Producer, etc. You also may want to edit the movie and that may require an editor depending on how you want to manipulate it. Again go to videohelp and spend som time on the how to guides.

JRouche
05-30-2008, 10:34 PM
If its a burner you are looking for I can recommend the LG GSA-E40L. I got the external unit from Best buys for I think around eighty bucks earlier this year. It connects via USB port. I love it, no problems at all. I also needed to clean out all my hard drive to make room. JR

Oh, and for the software I also use Nero, I think I bought ver 7 and it does everything...

Evan
05-30-2008, 10:44 PM
It really doesn't matter what brand of burner you buy since LG (Lucky Goldstar) makes nearly half of the world supply regardless of the brand on the front.

JRouche
05-30-2008, 11:43 PM
It really doesn't matter what brand of burner you buy since LG (Lucky Goldstar) makes nearly half of the world supply regardless of the brand on the front.

That is interesting.. I guess like most things produced, same maker, different tag.. I forget, I think I was looking for a new frig and it was the same thing, only a handful of manufacturers but plenty of different name tags... JR

jkeyser14
05-31-2008, 01:34 AM
Any $25-30 burner from newegg.com will work (Just make sure you get SATA or IDE depending on which plugs your motherboard accepts). Then you need to convert your different video formats to dvd format. I don't think Nero will do this for you, but I could be wrong. For actually burning CDs/DVDs I use a free open source program called CDburnerXP (also works with 64-bit OS's and Vista).

I would not buy a USB DVD burner as it will be VERY slow.

Evan
05-31-2008, 01:58 AM
Nero does format conversion from most formats.

macona
05-31-2008, 05:01 AM
I have had more problems using DVD+R discs than DVD-R discs. Especially with some older players.