PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a drafting table for free.. want to replace the top

cuemaker
06-01-2008, 10:54 AM
I got this beast for free.... I figure it will give me all the work space I need and then some... It has 2 levers in the back that you step on. They move the top table up and down and to tilt it back at any angle you want to a rock solid stop. The lower table top slides in and out. There is a very big tray/drawer under the bottom table and 2 drawers on the left hand side. They all are on very smooth rolling slides.

It was made by the Stacor company in NY... Tag on the table says property of the Industrial Nucleonic Corporation....

I want to replace the top.. The current top is some kind of soft vinyl that is stained and shows the decades of use from being beat upon...

The current top is 1/16th thick...

I need something that is also friendly in terms of working with computer stuff (reduce static electricity etc..) While any motherboard I put on there will go on a foam pad, the rest of the crap probably wouldnt...

Any suggestions?

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/Draftingtable001.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/Draftingtable002.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/Draftingtable003.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/Draftingtable005.jpg

Carld
06-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Hmm, I would prefer a wood veneer with a poly coat.

cuemaker
06-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Ooohhhhh, that means I can put on mahogany???? Like that poker table in the back I made??? Excellent idea.....LOL

Mahogany might be a bit to fancy....

What about formica?

John R
06-01-2008, 11:13 AM
There is a soft cover made for drafting boards. Its green on one side and off white on the other. Get it at drafting supply store or maybe office supply.
Good looking table.
Good luck,
John R

Bill Pace
06-01-2008, 11:18 AM
That is one NICE table!! Did they maybe have 2 of em?;)

I've taken a real liking to the Formica type stuff. I was in Lowes a few years ago and they had cutoffs/ends at really cheap prices so I picked up a piece and put it on a small cabinet thingy I had...liked it so well I've got it all over the shop now. I just go ahead and buy full sheets now, its not all that expensive ----oops!, better not say that anymore, its probably tripled in price now!! Its pretty tough stuff and clean up is a real breeze, -- it'll scratch and stain, but still be smooth and easy to get up messes. Lay a sheet of MDF right over the old surface, counter sink a few screws, and cover it with ---- formica, or -- theres several options. Or just put a good poly on the MDF...

dockrat
06-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Looking at the underside of that table top it looks like a good wood base. Can you not just strip off whatever is on top and sand and finish that base and go with that????

gundog
06-01-2008, 11:33 AM
I have a simple drafting table I would give to anyone wanting one. If you are local you can pick it up. I could also ship it if the new owner will pay shipping. It needs a new top but the rest is in good shape it is a profesional type but is not part of a desk like the one above. If anyone is interested I will post some pictures. I would like to see it go to someone who could use it rather than hauling it to the dump. I just don't have a use for it and it is taking up space.
Mike

Mike Burdick
06-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Cuemaker,

Just a thought here...

Have you seen the bamboo flooring sold at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.? It could make a very durable top as it is very hard... or how about this...

http://www.draftingsteals.com/catalog-drafting---drawing-equipment-vinyl-board-covers.html

Keuffel & Esser used to sell the vinyl replacement but I'm not too sure if the material listed in the above link is the same.

mwechtal
06-01-2008, 11:51 AM
While it probably doesn't matter if you're going to be using it for an electronic work table, isn't the drafting table on backwards? I would think you would have to walk around to the side opposite the drawers to do your drawing. Uh looking at it again, if you reverse the tiltable top, would it then butt up against the sliding top and make one large work surface? Not being able to actually see it and play with it maybe I'm all wet here.

At any rate, on another post, someone suggested formica. I don't think that formica would be any better than the vinyl for electrostatic protection. Most plastics, unless they are specifically mad to be anti-static, will generate static.

Mike

cuemaker
06-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Well, I wasnt thinking of replacing it with a traditional type of cover cause I dont know a thing about drafting... More of a general use table and for my computer stuff and what ever i choose to do on it....

Sorry Bill, only the one. I actually stumbled on it myself, I was going to craigslist to check out the computer stuff and accidentally clicked the free sections and bam, 1st posting, drafting table in the small town that I live in...

I am getting ready to go cruise my local hardware store to see whats available...

Dockrat, yes the top table is made of wood I think for weight reasons. If I was just to take it off, it would leave a metal lip all around which I think would annoy me... Also the bottom table is metal...

cuemaker
06-01-2008, 12:02 PM
"isn't the drafting table on backwards? "

Good eye. I dont have the room to make use of the tilt back feature, so I reversed the table.

I really want to rig it so it will tilt forward some, but havent looked into it..

smiller6912
06-01-2008, 12:14 PM
............ isn't the drafting table on backwards......

Mike

Actually, no. These were used in a row of drafters and the drawer side was for the person in front of you. Been there, done that for many years.

Sorry, after looking at the picture again, the top is on backwards. I was looking at the tilt of the top, which is correct but , the pencil tray does go to the other side.
I spent many years sitting at one of these, I guess I didn't want to look that close.....

cuemaker
06-01-2008, 12:16 PM
I thought I was being clever about putting it on backwards... now I found I did it right????

mwechtal
06-01-2008, 12:49 PM
I thought I was being clever about putting it on backwards... now I found I did it right????
Well, I think that what SMILLER was getting at is that the tables would be set up so that you would use the drawers on the table behind you, not the drawers in the table you were drawing on. That way you wouldn't have to walk back and forth to get to your "stuff".

Mike