PDA

View Full Version : Worst way to spend a Sunday?

torker
06-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Ok.. I'm poutin a bit.. pi$$in down rain.. couldn't budge my mill with the truck winch.
I'm the boss but it's Sunday so the hired help is gone and I can't even delegate this job to anyone else...
Under the 1 ton dually welding truck.. with sawzall, zip cutter... whatever else it takes to change the rusted and broken/bentup exhaust.
I really,really hate fartin with exhaust stuff but I'm too cheap to pay the exhaust shop $2000 an hour to do it for me.
So... surely there must be someone else out there who's doing an uglier job right now.
Hmm, I guess I'm actually not doing that am I... I'm sittin on my butt at the computer..avoiding getting the crap job done :D
Have a good one!
Russ

pcarpenter
06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah....I am about to go disassemble and pull up the commode in our master bathroom to replace the wax seal ring. I am hoping thats all it takes to explain the yellow spot on the ceiling below:rolleyes:

Paul

Oldbrock
06-01-2008, 04:37 PM
You have neighbors? No? then let her roar 'till the sun shines again. Peter

dockrat
06-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Russ.......can't talk the gurl into an overtime shift eh???? Wish I was there to help ya....ya sure!!!! LOL:p but if it makes ya feel any better...its pi$$ing down rain here too.:(

Evan
06-01-2008, 04:56 PM
It a beautiful sunny day here. I just spent an hour and a half pounding one single fence post. The first three tries it hit a rock the size of a doghouse about 18" down. The fourth try worked but still took 45 minutes with the post moving down maybe 1/16" per pound.

Just to piss me off the next post pounded down 2 1/2 feet in 5 minutes.

dp
06-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Did it on Saturday, not Sunday, but painting is still not my favorite weekend activity. I like the results, though. I finished up the vise for my Whipp shaper. Around here (Seattle) you paint when the weather cooperates or you don't paint. Next in line is the ram. Not looking forward to it as it's so damn heavy, but it will be nice to have it looking good.

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/machinery/whippvise03.jpg
http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/machinery/whippvise04.jpg

Surely someone here likes green :)

Edit: This just cracks me up! I just realized I put the handle on the wrong end! The screw is installed backwards. :p

tryp
06-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Well Ive had a hell of a weekend Russ, not sure if its that bad but its bad. First, my 02 mazda protege 5 tells me that it needs new front wheel bearings so its up on blocks in the back yard while I get the parts and the bearing splitter I need. (next purchase after the surf grinder is a nice compact press) And damn if I didnt have the lathe I would have had to farm this one out at 600 bucks labor plus markup on the bearings plus have some apprentice possibly wreck something at my expense. So car is up on blocks and I have to drive in to work 40km on sat in the truck. On the QEW just about onto the skyway and blam she is overheating, coolant boiling out from under the hood. Good thing it was just a small leak and the lake is right there to fill the rad back up to get home.

Got the truck back in business, spent my Sunday pressing new bearings into the knuckles and pressing the spindles in using some bushings made up on the lathe. In the end saved alot of cash and got some new tools out of it.

Evan, one of these days I'll get some pictures of the shop on here, I'll be moving in two months to Oakville so things will be in shambles for a while.

torker
06-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Hey??? How the heck do those "other" people survive? You know.. the ones who don't have lathes to make exhaust parts fit.. and who don't have welders and other crap to fix crap?
Paul...yeesh.. we run a 40 room motel..office etc... 45 toilets. I've changed a couple of them damm seals :D
Ernie.. the gurl's in Cowgary... besides she doesn't like working on my ol' trucks. Not creative enough or something.
Peter.. I don't have neighbours but the Gestapo just love to put up DOT roadblocks on the only road to town.. I'll get dinged for sure :D
Evan... glad to hear you punched that piece of jackpine through that rock :D
Back to werk I go!

ERBenoit
06-01-2008, 05:42 PM
... I am hoping thats all it takes to explain the yellow spot on the ceiling below :rolleyes: Paul

If that doesn't fix it try leaning over the pot, one hand against the wall and using the other, pushing down on the "morning wood" before you open the bladder. :D

BTW, I spent my Sunday at work. I don't know that it is the worst way, but at $LX.00/hr, hard to pass up.

Quetico Bob
06-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Cheer up Torker, there's people like me making up for your crummy Sunday and by the sound of things some of you other folks as well. Got this about 10 this morning, 2 more since. Unfortunately I had to quit, starting to get thunder storms, guess its turned out to be a bad day for me as well afterall.;)
Cheers, Bob

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/Queticobob/MombaTroutontheflyJune108.jpg

torker
06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Bob.. yer a jerk :D
But I forgive you for having fun... I got the muffler/ tailpipe installed.
ER... Damm that was funny!

Quetico Bob
06-01-2008, 06:50 PM
No problem buddy, just sharing the pain.

clutch
06-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Today is a pretty good day. The green coating on my Clausing vari drive sheaves was toast, I re-coated them today with Moglice. Spinning away in the garage as I eat a decent steak.

http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/you_have_to_spin_it.jpg

Clutch

torchroadster
06-01-2008, 08:46 PM
92 degrees and sunny in Texas. The wife, son and I just got done putting down five pallets of sod. A lot of it on the side of a hill. I've had easier Sundays!

Malc-Y
06-02-2008, 06:05 AM
My Sunday was slightly unusual as it was my wife's 60th birthday! So I prepared and cooked the Sunday roast beef, roast potatoes, vegetables etc. Then in the afternoon we drove to a nearby (17 miles away) stately home and took a leisurely stroll around the grounds. In the early evening we went to the nearby Grand Union Canal to a friend who lives on a boat and went for a short cruise (about 5 miles and back) and later in the evening to the local pub for a party with plenty to eat and drink. Altogether a tolerable way to spend a Sunday.

Malc. :cool:

Bguns
06-02-2008, 06:54 AM
I can move a lot with a Cat :)

Biggest thing I have in the garage, is a puny Cinci 2 MI, only 5500 or so :)

You will get it moved in shop , just need to get to know the right type of people :)

(who usually need some machine work done .....)

If a D9 would fit in garage I would probably be working on one for somebody...

doctor demo
06-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Going to your ex girlfriend's wedding, because she married your almost ex buddy/long time family friend.
Steve

torker
06-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Going to your ex girlfriend's wedding, because she married your almost ex buddy/long time family friend.
Steve
Ok..you win.. I think :D

davidh
06-02-2008, 09:02 PM
sunday ws a beautiful spring.summmer day here in beautiful sunny northwest wisconsin. saturday late day my wife picked me up from the local hospital after a failed attempt on wednesday for a prostate removal surgery. went thru all the nasty stuff but found too much scar tissue on the little bugger to remove it without leaving me in diapers for the balance of my would be somewhat miserable life. so in a month its off to plan "B" and i don;t know what plan "B" is............... its amazing how poorly a guy can feel after having his insides opened up and everything molested from the inside. . . . but the drugs are good !
can;t hardly beat that for a sunday can ya ?? ?

not complaining, just looking for a different place to find sympathy.

things will be better tomorrow too.
davidh

doctor demo
06-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Ok..you win.. I think :D
No, I think David has me beat hands down.

mochinist
06-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I was out on the lake all day wakeboarding and waterskiing, plus a little sight seeing at all the bikini's :) Only bad is I used a bunch of muscles I dont normally use and I could barely move this morning.

loosescrewmt
06-02-2008, 11:16 PM
I've got a side job as a stage hand\ audio tech...Spent the weekend up in the hills, at a hot springs for a weekend festival...it didn't just rain, it dumped on us. Got the big truck stuck putting up the audio, worked 50 hours in three days, and had to do the load out in a swamp of rotting beer and, well, the after effects of too much beer.

And it was so much fun I'll do it all over in 2 weeks.

snowman
06-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I spent sunday at the animal hospital. my poor beagle pup couldn't do anything, he was in pain every time he moved. he got an MRI and a spinal tap yesterday, he has meningitis and is responding to steroid treatment.

david's got me beat, but it was still a pretty crappy day

david...my dad has a colostomy and a catheter...it sucks, but you get used to it....he's been cancer free for six years, and when we have grandchildren, he'll be able to watch them grow.