PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly lathe DRO

Mike Hunter
06-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Wife got me a Grizzly DRO for my lathe, not my first choice… but hey Happy Birthday to me !!!

Couple of questions: Has anybody else here installed one of these? Looks like they just threw a bunch of AL brackets/plates with some screws into a pile and created a “universal” lathe/mill type mounting kit, where none of it seems to fit together without some serious modification.

What kind of accuracy are you getting with yours? Right now I’m getting +/- .001 on my x axis (using a Federal DI to check) is this about as good as can be expected.. or have I done something wrong ?

Thanks

Mike

SGW
06-02-2008, 04:07 PM
What type of DRO is it? If it's the printed circuit board type, as used in digital calipers, +/- 0.001" may be about as good as you'll get. If it's a glass scale type, I'd expect better accuracy even from a cheap one.

How reliable is your dial indicator? If it's fairly well used, that could be a big source of error. I once bought a used Ames indicator that, upon cursory inspection, appeared to be in great shape. When I got it home and started using it, it turned out to be totally flogged and completely unreliable.

BigBoy1
06-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I installed a Grizzly DRO on my lathe and yes it was a practical experience in field engineering! I used the pieces and parts and made the brackets to fit my 1945 South Bend lathe. The biggest problem I had was finding a flat surface on to which to mount the parts. All of the curves surface on the lathe make it look graceful but not practical for mounting. I ended up adding a rectangular block between two curved surfaces so I would have a flat surface to mount the DRO. The glass tube design gives me the desired accuracy I want.

Bill

fasto
06-02-2008, 06:20 PM
The Grizzly DRO is OEM'd by Easson and uses glass scales.

Mike Hunter
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the input.... The award goes to SGW... pulled the old Federal DI off, put a Brand new one (Federal) on... the DRO now reads correctly.

Now to mount the z axis with their universal, adaptable and fully customizable installation kit…Just add Bridgeport to make it work =)

Mike