PDA

View Full Version : 5C adaptor?

Davek0974
06-03-2008, 08:52 AM
HI all,

I'm looking for a 5C collet body with an ER32 collet head. Anyone know if such a thing exists or is it a custom jobby?

Thanks
Dave

lazlo
06-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Sir John invented it! :)

Best of both worlds. (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=21535)

Seriously, John Stevenson made what is likely the first 5C -> ER32 adapter. John has them made in China and sells them through Arc-Euro in the UK, which is roughly the equivalent of Enco in the US:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/catalogue/product.aspx?prod_id=b01b4b54-5755-4cb3-8b34-e9dc6ca0180c

I haven't seen these show up in the 'States yet, but you might check one of the China-direct US distributors like CDCO.

Davek0974
06-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks for that, got one on order.

Dave

John Stevenson
06-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Probably won't show up in the States for a while as we have a good working relationship with the company concerned.
It will take for someone Stateside to get the idea and follow it through with samples etc.
Arc will ship to the US but not sure what the demand would be there.
ER series isn't so popular there wheras UK and Europe its very popular.

The US likes the 5C and will take some moving away from this.

OTOH Australia has never heard of them, do a search on www.ebay.com.au for 5C and you won't get a hit under industrial, plenty of ER series over there though.

hornluv
06-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I can see that it would be a very attractive thing in the US. I have been using an ER 32 chuck on my lathe held in the 4 jaw for quite some time, but I just bought a 5C chuck. Just the other day I was wondering, "What am I going to do with these ER collets?" and, "Darn, now I'm going to have to buy more collets." Now I know.

Edit: John, I see the ArcEuro website says, "only works with drawbar locking fixtures". Does that mean the adapter should not be used in a collet chuck? If not, why?

moldmonkey
06-03-2008, 11:02 PM
ER collets are very popular for milling in the US. It's also somewhat common to use a straight shank collet chuck in a lathe but not many people have thought about a direct 5C-ER adaptor (our Sir John is a clever lad). I think if people would see them in the catalogs they would become popular.

bob ward
06-04-2008, 01:05 AM
The ER collet in the 5C holder would allow you to pass long stock through the ER collet?

John Stevenson
06-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Hornluv,
The adapter need to be held in / closed by the drawbar thread. If you have a 5C chuck that pulls in by the thread then it will work.
OTOH if you have a chuck that closed by using the taper part like a lot of lever operated chucks then no it won't work.

It can hold long thru work up to the limit of the collet or spindle.
I realise that no collet system is going to be perfect but with this you get two bites at the same cherry. The main one being that the ER system can hold any size and it's one of the few work holding and tool holding systems.

Having said that for the last few days I have had the 5C chuck on my lathe as I'm boring out double ended bearing housings in a new batch of rotary tables. Using the 5C chuck and two internal 5C expanding arbors that have been machined down to suit.
This is one application where an ER system won't work due to the front closing nut.