PDA

View Full Version : OT Old vise

RichardG
06-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I have an old vise it is a huge thing does anyone know anything about -G.M.Vost MF'G. Co. The pat. says 1908. It rotates and locks every quarter turn
and has pins on one side that can slide out the other side as square dogs / jaws also the outer jaw is adjustable for out of square it opens about 16 inches.
The main jaws are about 12 inches by 16 inches.
Thanks Richard

torker
06-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Richard... LOL! I know squat about your vise but I do know this isn't OT :D
Honest... ask George!
Just kiddin... sounds like a honkin old vise.
I have a big heavy ol' bugger that came with the place. Still don't have a bench heavy enough to hold it.
Russ

RichardG
06-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi Russ,
Its some sort of wood working vise I didn't know for sure about asking here seeing as most everthing here is metal related.
Richard

bruto
06-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Russ, you ought to be able to talk the gurl into welding you up a nice pedestal for the vise. I have an enormous old Prentiss that sat unused for years for the same reason, but then I scored a comparably enormous and heavy stump jumper off a bush hog. The result is not very elegant looking, owing in part to the fact that the swivel nut is directly beneath the vise and needs clearance, but it does the job, and it isn't going to blow away in a stiff breeze! http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/9229/bigvisesk1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

torker
06-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Hi Russ,
Its some sort of wood working vise I didn't know for sure about asking here seeing as most everthing here is metal related.
Richard
Nah.. we're all tool guys here... lots of woodworkers here including me.
Machinery is machinery... if it makes chips or dust or noise... we want it :D
Hey.. you got any pics of that vise? I'd like to see it.
Thanks!
Russ

torker
06-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Bruto... that's what I'm talking about.. a big bugger like that.
I want mine on a heavy steel bench or a heavy bench that's anchored to the concrete.
We get some pretty ugly stuff in here to repair.. lots of times you need a bunch of heat, a big geezuz hammer or a snipe and a sturdy vise.
I'm scared to beatup my newer vise... I broke one just like it in half a few years ago.
The big ol' one... I'd never break that thing.

bruto
06-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Bruto... that's what I'm talking about.. a big bugger like that.
I want mine on a heavy steel bench or a heavy bench that's anchored to the concrete.
We get some pretty ugly stuff in here to repair.. lots of times you need a bunch of heat, a big geezuz hammer or a snipe and a sturdy vise.
I'm scared to beatup my newer vise... I broke one just like it in half a few years ago.
The big ol' one... I'd never break that thing.there are a couple of holes in that base, so I suppose I could bolt it down, but it doesn't move much even when I want it to. The weak spot in mine is the interface between vise base and column. It has a little bit of spring to it.

Note the repair to the screw beneath the handle. You can break anything if you try hard enough!