PDA

View Full Version : Novel steam engine transmission to rotary motion idea

PTSideshow
06-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Here is something that turned up on another site. The claims are great, And it may indeed save the world. But it seems to not have generated the buzz one would think. It is a novel transmission idea, and the plans are about the cost of a lot of others so it may have to be added to the tadolist. By the way the mans name is Green also. Great tie in if all his claims are met.
http://www.greensteamengine.com/index.html
Anybody here have any experience with it or even thoughts.
It looks like mostly the same engine in all working shots driving something.

A.K. Boomer
06-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Wonder if he changed his name just for this engine? That has got to be one of the biggest pieces of crap Iv seen in a long time, the pictures are laughable, esp. the generator pic and the prop. one (check out the gen. mounting "frame", its two pieces of unconnected plywood:p ) And the guy in the boat kills me:eek:
Im sorry for being so foreword but I can tell by looking at it that I could stall it out with my pinkie.
It is not only grossly underpowered just in stroke, its about the most hillbilly indirect way of taking reciprocating motion and "trying" to convert it to rotary, Mr. "green" has frictional/flexible losses across the board. Total Junk.

Forrest Addy
06-07-2008, 10:37 AM
You don't need to pay royalties on that basic design. There's been a zillion swash plate recip to rotary motion design patents issued over the last couple centuries. That's prior art and for the most part it's free.

That particular design is the bulkiest and frailest I've seen. When I was an apprentice I designed (well, sketched out) a five cylinder swash plate diesel engine that was in intrinsic balance. That was my first exposure to invention fever. I thought I had my fortune made. Then I discovered that few designs pass the first hurdle of manufacturability, and of the few, fewer yet meet expectations, and of those few, even fewer pass acceptance, serviceability, etc.

What hits the front page of Popular Mechanics, the novelty pieces in newspapers and on TV, and these days the techno-blogs and YouTube have a tough battle against what's common that works well.

Not to poop your party but that design has a number of problems with bulk and thermodynamics to succeed in today's marketplace. It would make a great powerplant demonstrator or novelty vehicle. And of course an experimentor could spend years of rewarding development making and refining this design into something workable.

PTSideshow
06-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Not to poop your party but that design has a number of problems with bulk and thermodynamics to succeed in today's marketplace. It would make a great powerplant demonstrator or novelty vehicle. And of course an experimentor could spend years of rewarding development making and refining this design into something workable.
Not me I thought that is was odd the way it was all ways the same engine that was seen working in the video's. Secondly that if it was such a hot shot design why had it been used and people screaming the benefits from the internet roof tops:D
It seemed to me that he is a selling the plans and parts to people that couldn't figure out were to get some mildly off the wall parts. Since it appears to be a non machined engine.
It was being touted as a green engine on another site of course the party hadn't noticed the guy surname is Green. It is to bad more people don't read the complete site before jumping on the band wagon so to speak.
And I hardly would call a canoe a steam powered boat even if it has a boiler and one of those egg beaters disturbing the fish!
But as always the information I seek is finding its way here.

J Tiers
06-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Essentially NO portable external combustion engine can ever be "green", if that means high efficiency.....

A good steam electric power plant is probably the most efficient heat engine on the planet. But it takes acres of equipment, and large power output.

A steam locomotive was far less efficient than many gas-guzzlers.

It does seem to be a variant of the swash-plate engine, patented yet again, possibly due to sub-normals populating the patent office. Or possibly due to a very poor design, which I suspect.

The center device looks like a machinist's spring center finder. Somehow I don't think that is a good start....

PTSideshow
06-07-2008, 05:30 PM
It does seem to be a variant of the swash-plate engine, patented yet again, possibly due to sub-normals populating the patent office. Or possibly due to a very poor design, which I suspect.

The center device looks like a machinist's spring center finder. Somehow I don't think that is a good start....

I have a 1/4" drive socket flex extension that bears a resemblance to it along with the flex drive shafts in the weed wacker tools

fasto
06-08-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm sorry about how late this is but I just ;looked at that web site :rolleyes: .
It says

It may also be use for air-conditioning and refrigeration pumps, as well as air circulation systems.

So, I suppose that all the airconditioning manufacturers that make swash-plate compressors will have to bow down to these clowns?

For example, my VW has a Sanden SD7V16 airconditioning compressor. That part number means: 7 cylinders, 16cc displacement (maximum), variable displacement (the compressor contains an internal machanism on the swash plate to change the piston stroke, reducing displacement when ac demands are lower). Sanden has been making these for over 20 years.

I suppose that this compressor could be back driven, using pressure through the "outlet" port, with some changes to the reed valves. It could probably even function as a 2-stroke engine with new cylinder heads??

Ugh.

NickH
06-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I think it must be genuine, there's footage on YouTube and everything, if he had a Wikipedia entry too I'd surely invest.

Can you tell how bored I am of this type of crap?

Insert my standard offer of guaranteed plans for anti-gravity & greater than unity efficiency machines for $10 here,

Bored-of-This-Crap Nick

J Tiers
06-08-2008, 02:06 PM
So, I suppose that all the airconditioning manufacturers that make swash-plate compressors will have to bow down to these clowns?

You apparently do not understand patents...... READ THE PATENT CLAIMS. it it isn't in the claims, it's hard to argue it is covered, aside from "obviousmess".

Obviously they cannot patent the swashplate or any obvious derivative of it.

The use of the "flexible rod composed of helically wound wires" is in fact what the patent is about. I went and read it, or actually, I read the claims, I didn't read the rest of it.

"Patents" are great things to impress dumb investors with. "You gotta get in on this, the guy has a patent, so it is exclusive"....... Nope, ONLY on what is claimed, and only on the part of that which is new and novel.

Now, anyone can file a lawsuit, even if it has no merit, but hopefully most worthless ones will get tossed early. And little guys rarely have the $$ to go filing all over. At best you get a lawyer's letter, which your lawyer tosses back with the scathing comment that your device does not infringe, and they can go poke it in their ear.

I know a co-worker who got a nasty lawyer's "cease and desist" letter...... breathing fire and threats..... about a product he makes. He simply sent them a nice letter back referring them to a magazine from the 1970's where the entire thing was laid out.... including their patented device...... well before their issue date and earliest notes.

They went away quickly, presumably hoping that he wouldn't let anyone ELSE know that their patent was worthless.

fasto
06-08-2008, 04:26 PM
You apparently do not understand patents...... READ THE PATENT CLAIMS.

I did not read any further than the statement about usage in airconditioning compressors, which set me off a bit. I admit I did not read the patent.

FWIW, my 2nd patent issued on 13 May 2008. How did I find out? I had a good number of "patent awards" companies sending me a letter "If you want a nice wall plaque..." This is the same way that I found out about my 1st patent...

(I edited this to take out the patent #'s as I don't really want all that identifing info out there. Will provide them on PM request.)

wmgeorge
06-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Not me I thought that is was odd the way it was all ways the same engine that was seen working in the video's. Secondly that if it was such a hot shot design why had it been used and people screaming the benefits from the internet roof tops:D
It seemed to me that he is a selling the plans and parts to people that couldn't figure out were to get some mildly off the wall parts. Since it appears to be a non machined engine.
It was being touted as a green engine on another site of course the party hadn't noticed the guy surname is Green. It is to bad more people don't read the complete site before jumping on the band wagon so to speak.
And I hardly would call a canoe a steam powered boat even if it has a boiler and one of those egg beaters disturbing the fish!
But as always the information I seek is finding its way here.

I purchased the CD with the plans, and was not all that impressed with how it would stand up in "real life". I called the guy to ask some questions when I ordered, he claimed to have sold it to some companies who were going to make some engines to drive generators? (I think)