PDA

View Full Version : Wilton Vise Rebuild Problem - Help!!

mike6845
06-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Hello All:

Last week at an auction, I lucked out and became the very happy owner of 3 Wilton made in the USA vises, I would have been as happy as a dog in a meat market with one but 3, I couldn't help myself. All together, the total cost was $127. The big boy was a 5 1/2" C1 vise, the second was a 4" machinist vise and the third was a 4 1/2" mechanics vise. I'm not sure as to which one I will keep but time will tell on that score. They are probably worth at least $500-$600 on evil-bay after restoration.

The mechanics vise has a binding action with the jaws nearly closed and it becomes very hard to turn the handle. After taking the vise apart, I found out that at one time someone had probably broke the spindle shaft (the threaded one) near the handle and had it welded back together. They did a crappy job and didn't get the shaft straight. No problem, tig weld it up a tad and machine the spindle shaft straight. The only problem is getting the handle off. It appears that both ball ends are machined but we know that can't be the case but I am having a very difficult time telling which ball end was pressed on the shaft. BTW, I did try filing the ends of the balls to find dis-similar metals but no luck or I didn't file far enough. Wilton of course no longer offers any parts for this vise.

Any ideas as to how to get the handle off the spindle shaft with out cutting either the handle or one of the ball ends.

Ohio Farmer
06-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Do you really need it off to do the repair? It can be taken apart and welded without taking it off and chucked in a 4 jaw to do the lathe work after that. If you do need it off you may have to cut it and drill the shaft and the ball you cut off and make a steel dowel to fit each and then re- weld it back together. I think they make those balls by swedging after assembly! Not sure about that though. Good luck.

aostling
06-07-2008, 08:39 PM
the second was a 4" machinist vise and the third was a 4 1/2" mechanics vise. I'm not sure as to which one I will keep but time will tell on that score. They are probably worth at least $500-$600 on evil-bay after restoration.

I was hoping for a photo. Went to Craig's List and found this http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/711678817.html. Is that the one you have?

Tim Clarke
06-07-2008, 08:52 PM
First of all, I have a salvaged vise here I fixed up about 15 years ago. I think it's a 4 1/2" machinist's vise, with swivel base. In any case, the screw is a hunk of someting similar to 12L14, it's like they sawed off a hunk from threaded rod, and resistance welded on the larger hub that the handle goes thru. Mine actually looked like they inertia welded it, but no matter. I removed the handle by removing one of the stop balls. The handle on mine is a straight shaft with about a half inch turned to a smaller dia. then the ball is installed, and the handle shaft is peened into a small champher in the ball. Then smoothed to seem seamless.

What I did was to saw off one handle ball, chuck the hub in the lathe, drill a hole for a alignment pin. Then I cut a chamfer for weld penetration. Next, I did the same on the screw. I welded the assy with my old Lincoln cracker box, with e7018AC. I turned a new spigot on the handle, and reinstalled the ball. There is a couple inches between the hub and the nut in my vise, so I did'nt worry about loosing a couple threads due to welding.

Hope this helps, Tim

dp
06-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I was hoping for a photo. Went to Craig's List and found this http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/711678817.html. Is that the one you have?

Humorous sidebar story to that vise - seems somebody's not happy with the price a good vise will fetch:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/711703152.html

mike6845
06-07-2008, 10:49 PM

Yep, got one like this one except no swivel base. Sorry about the pic's will get them up soon.