PDA

View Full Version : End Mills (Single end vs double end)

JMI
06-08-2008, 03:24 PM
What are the advantages/disadvantages between the two?

Thanks

Jim

gary55ford
06-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Two cutters for less than buying two single end mills:)

clutch
06-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Less total material in a DE vs 2 SE's. Less packaging.

Clutch

Mcgyver
06-08-2008, 04:35 PM
I like them for the econmics, but if you're one who prefers end mill holders over collets or cnc quick change holders you need the single end ones.

J Tiers
06-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Not all holding systems will let you drop in a double-ended EM. Most probably will, but it would be very annoying to find yours does not, right after you bought several.

JRouche
06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Alot of the quality end mills seem to be single ended. I see the inexpensive, chinese manufactures selling the double ended. Try a nice Garr or SGS and you will see a major diff. The diff between really sharp and looks sharp. JR

Pete H
06-08-2008, 08:52 PM
My endmill holders - some original Emco-Maier and some from LMS - all take double-ended mills OK. Granted, these are all 1/2" shank or smaller. It may not be the case on bigger sizes.

rdfeil
06-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Just to expand on Pete's statement above, All of my endmill holders will take double ended tools without a problem also. I have holders from 1/4 to 1 inch for my Bridgeport, however my mill is 30 taper so that might make a difference. Just check the depth of your holders before buying :) .

Robin

oldtiffie
06-09-2008, 04:28 AM
They should be OK with the "short" series of end mills as regards suitabilty for a wide range of EM holders.

Might be OK too for "medium" series but I'd check closely.

I'd really check it closely if using the long series of EM cutters.

airsmith282
06-09-2008, 09:40 AM
i do all my milling in my lathe right now as i dont have a mill , anyhow i use only sigle ended mills and find them very nice and well built, also soem of my mills are expensive so i ge them resharpened ,, the double ended ones from what i have been told are more of a throw out type and they are much cheaper build as well .. so i dont think ill ever be using thoes style of end mills my self , some mills i just buy 2 of the same for certin jobs i just buy 2 of the same emd mill just in case also comes in handy when i send them out to get the sharpen or fixed at least i gota spare while iam waiting ,, i do the same with some of my smaller drills as well..

ERBenoit
06-09-2008, 12:13 PM
The only real advantage I find between single vs. double, if you need a long LOC, you're not finding it in a double endmill. Buy a reputable name and you should not find singes any sharper than doubles. I use both styles regularly, however if the diameter is over 5/8" I'll use single end mills for reasons noted by JTiers.

JMI
06-11-2008, 11:31 AM
So it is primarily a tool holder issue. Plus a case for economy. I believe the machine and collets that I have access to will allow for the double ended usage. Just starting out so will learn (and dull the cutting edges) on some cheap(er) Chinese imports.
Thanks for all the replies.

Jim

J Tiers
06-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Alot of the quality end mills seem to be single ended. I see the inexpensive, chinese manufactures selling the double ended. Try a nice Garr or SGS and you will see a major diff. The diff between really sharp and looks sharp. JR

I've a bunch of Ford and various US manufacturer double-ended............ and they are so sharp they'll about cut you from across the room..... So it IS possible....