PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport cnc going to scrap-craigslist

3t-
06-10-2008, 11:36 AM
http://omaha.craigslist.org/tls/709896183.html

Not mine and no connection. Looks like a project for someone:D

pcarpenter
06-10-2008, 12:13 PM
So...is it going to the scrapper or the scraper? :D He indicates he can get $850 from the "scraper" so maybe someone in the machine tool rebuilding/scraping business offered him $850:D

Seriously though, I hope it does not get turned into Chinese rollerskate wheels or Harbor Freight table saws or something.

Edit-- In re-looking, I have to ask since I have seen this before: If they are threatening to sell it to the scrapper for $850 which will require a bunch of work on his part to cut it up, why would they not offer it for sale (for use rather than destruction) for the same price? The last time I saw this it was worse...something on the order of $1000 scrap value offered for sale for $2100. If there is a genuine desire to save something why not make it easy for someone to rescue the item? Your market for an item (and likelihood of selling) grows in size if a guy two states away can still justify hauling it home after paying your asking price.

Paul

3t-
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
My thoughts exactly Paul.

I would think that cutting tools (supplies) cutting-up time (50-100 per hour if the guy is running a business) hauling it to the scraaaaper...this has to be worth $300 or so. If I were in the market for it I would make an offer based on this and see what happened.:rolleyes:

heidad01
06-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I think the seller means you can have it for the $850 price which will save him time cutting it up for scrap as well as guilty feelings for destrying a working machine. You could probabely get it for less if you showed up with the money and ready to move the machine. He says he needs it gone. DavidH.

Chipslinger
06-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I talked to him, and put him with a buyer.

He is in La vista.

3t-
06-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Good move Chipslinger, glad to see the machine is getting a second life. Do you happen to know what business in LaVista the guy runs?

Chipslinger
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Good move Chipslinger, glad to see the machine is getting a second life. Do you happen to know what business in LaVista the guy runs?

Yes I do. :p

Mark McGrath
06-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Scrapmen do not cut up machines like that.They ball it with a big steel ball,breaks it into little bits in minutes.That`s why machinery is called balling scrap.
Mark.

Chipslinger
06-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Scrapmen do not cut up machines like that.They ball it with a big steel ball,breaks it into little bits in minutes.That`s why machinery is called balling scrap.
Mark.

Prehaps, but he is not a scrapman.

he was going to do it himself.

tattoomike68
06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Mark.

When I worked at a foundy we would pick it up with a track hoe and drop it on a 5" steel plate on the ground and let it bust up from the fall.

It might take 2 minutes to get it to size.