X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doc Nickel
    • Mar 2003

Stockbridge shaper is home

In my continuing endeavor to cover up all those ugly open spaces on my shop floor, I finally hauled home that Stockbridge 16" shaper I asked about last February.

(Yes, I have the table and saddle- we took those off to somewhat reduce the weight, as even stripped it was almost too much for my lift. No vise though, except an old drill-press vise.)

Close inspection under the bright light of day shows that somebody, several years ago, apparently refurbished this thing, but then probably never ran it.

The gibs and ways show signs where there was once rust (not deep, but still clearly pitted) but had been power-wire-brushed back to clean. The grease it had been given after reassembly, had dried to nearly a powder, but there's zero "new" scarring, showing that it might have been run after that brushing and greasing.

It'll still need to be cleaned, as it's dusty and has some fresh rust in a few spots, and the downfeed mechanism will need to be repaired, but really, this thing doesn't need much more than a minor cleaning (no pressure washer this time ) minor service (the oil holes in the ways have been plugged rather than being fitted with oil cups or even just grease zerks) and to fab up a motor and jackshaft arrangement.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)
  • ammcoman2
    • Dec 2004

Nice Find - that is a serious machine compared to my Ammco. I notice your inspector is out there checking your latest acquisition - did he/she approve?

Geoff

Comment

• jimmstruk
      • Jun 2005

Doc, that machine looks very very similar to a shaper I once had. If I remember mine was a Barker brand. I used the shaper some, then built a mill head to replace the clapper head. That worked sort of OK but had no quill feed. Then I got a real mill and junked the shaper. Sorry about the distance between my shop and yours, because I still have the 9" wide vise for the old shaper. I can assure you it takes a much better man than me to lift the vise. JIM (congrats on your shaper)
      jim

Comment

• Doc Nickel
        • Mar 2003

Jim- Can you shoot me some photos? I have another vise in line for this thing, but I'd be interested in getting a "classic" style shaper vise. If it's in good condition, I wouldn't mind paying the shipping.

Primary Shopcat was largely uninterested in the shaper, unlike when I brought the Nichols home; she jumped up on the truckbed and almost immediately went in the coolant-tub opening in the base of the mill, presumably to check the soundness of the castings.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• jimmstruk
          • Jun 2005

Doc, I will try to get pic of vise on here tomorrow JIM
          jim

Comment

Working...
          X