PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Pad for Mill

KiloBravo
06-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I finally finished my steel table to mount my Sq Column Mill on, I want to bolt it to the table. What kid of material should I put between the two ? The cheapest solution I came up with was some type of rubber hose that I could split and then put on the base of the mill before I bolted it to the table.

Regards,
Kevin

38_Cal
06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
For my Enco 10x54 mill, I set it on four pads of sprint car tire tread, same material I use for floor mats. Did the same for my lathe, quiets it down and gives a better surface finish...less jump & vibration from the concrete floor?

David
Montezuma, IA

KiloBravo
06-18-2008, 03:49 PM
The table legs are on machine mounts from ENCO. I was thinking I need something between the cast iron mill base and the steel table before I bolt them together. The pads I saw in ENCO were very expensive.

Bill Pace
06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Yep, tire stuff is good --- 18 wheeler recaps usually dont have re-inforcing wire, and of course are all over the side of the road, just band-saw out some blocks. Though the last time I drove out looking for a piece of recap, I spotted a big hunk of a truck mud-flap and used it.

pcarpenter
06-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Why do you want anything between the two? It seems like if you went to the trouble to build a nice rigid table that putting the mill on something that flexes is somewhat self-defeating. The only real concern that I would have is whether in bolting it down, there is some irregularity to the mounting surface that will cause you to pull stresses into the base of your mill.

Paul

biometrics
06-18-2008, 05:05 PM
If stress of the mill on a somewhat flexible mounting is not an issue... how about hockey pucks... that's P-U-C-K-S starting with a "P"...

They are cheap, even on ebay... and have some sound deadening qualities and yet are pretty solid to minimize the flex. I have also seen them drilled and counterbored and used for leveling feet on noisy machines...

lane
06-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I would just bolt it down . Nothing between two.

GKman
06-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I like my mill table level so I can use a machinist level to set surfaces parallel to the table. (Picture a knarley old exhaust manifold, flat side up). If the mill is floating on some kind of pudding, I wouldn't expect it to stay level.

mojojerry
06-20-2008, 12:42 PM
I have a new mill and I am trying to figure out what to do myself. Do any of you guys use auto fluid tool cooler's on your mills. I was thinking of putting a 1/8"x20"x30" Cooler pan under my mill and mounting the mill with rubber washers through the pan. Is this crazy or what? mojo

pcarpenter
06-20-2008, 03:01 PM
"auto fluid tool coolers"?? Is that a cooler that uses some sort of automotive fluid or are you referring to what is generically known as "flood coolant"?

You didn't indicate what sort of mill you have and what volume of work you intend to do, either, which will help with determining both whether you need coolant at all....and if so, what variety of cooling method makes sense. In general, coolant (not to be confused with using tiny amounts of cutting fluid which is really a lubricant) is not all that popular in the typical small home shop.

You may get more replies if you start a new thread for your new topic. He he....nevermind. I see you did just that!

Paul

tattoomike68
06-20-2008, 03:07 PM
I would just bolt it down . Nothing between two.

Why do you want anything between the two? It seems like if you went to the trouble to build a nice rigid table that putting the mill on something that flexes is somewhat self-defeating. The only real concern that I would have is whether in bolting it down, there is some irregularity to the mounting surface that will cause you to pull stresses into the base of your mill.

Paul

I agree with both of you guys. if he really wants a rubber base find some drop peices of rubber conveyor belting.

KiloBravo
06-20-2008, 04:20 PM
OK, based on the advice given here, I am going to bolt the mill right to the steel table. The table has leveling mounts for feet.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=5832301&PMAKA=325-6615

pcarpenter
06-20-2008, 04:27 PM
I would set it on the table with a smear of hi-spot blue on the contact points and make sure its touching on all of them. Otherwise, you stand a chance of pulling a twist into the base when you bolt it down. I suppose this is where a big milling machine has an advantage. You can three or 4 point mount it with adjusters so that it is not prone to twisting and just let it set.

Edit-- your table could be level but the top not flat or the base of the machine matching...that's the reason for worrying about pulling a twist into it.

Paul

mojojerry
06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks. I didn't mean to steal the thread. I am also wondering about the vibration and noise to. I suppose I will find out later. Now that I have heard that most hm don't seem to use alot of coolant I am just going to mount my little mill directly to my table and see what happens. I would love to hear how your padding works. I think that would help as far as noise as long as you use
your vise bed or mill bed and not your table for measurements. Who knows ? I am a newbe for sure. thanks mojo