X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Pace
    • Jul 2005

OT: Old woodworking vise ... info?

Picked this big guy up a flea market some time ago and used it for years ... til I got into metal work so heavily.

So, I took it off the bench to make room for other things and got to wondering about it. It appears to be pretty old from the design and construction, built like a tank & heavy, and is in quite good condition. Only markings are the 3B &10B on the mounting plate and 37 on the end of the screw where the handle slides.

Any you guys know anything about it ... maybe a maker, approximate age.... ???

I dunno, might try it on ebay?

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........
  • garyphansen
    • Aug 2004

I do not know who made it but I do know that my father has one just like it. Gary P. Hansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

• garyphansen
      • Aug 2004

I will ask my dad if he remembers where he got his. I am sure he has had his for at least 50 years. He is in Muskegon, Michigan, and the vice may have been made locally. Gary P. Hansen
      In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

• PTSideshow
        • Nov 2005

I will look out in the shed and see if I have one with the flat bar handle. It might be at my dad's place. Around here they are plentiful. I have about 10 in the shed of different makes and ages. The same maker also made wood clamps on the same style bar will look for a name on them also. Problem is they where in every middle and high school in the 50's and 60's mostly 4 to a large square bench and 10 benches to some of the rooms not counting the ones on the walls. Last school shop I took apart had 36 of the in it.
        Glen
        Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
        I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
        All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

• Bill Pace
          • Jul 2005

Gary, hah, I found this thing at the big Dixie flea market in Pontiac, Mi bout 12-14yrs ago while visiting my son. Think I gave the guy 8 bucks, -- maybe 10.

Well, Glen youve dashed my hopes of making all those big bucks selling my "antique" vise Hah! ---- 36 of em?? in one place? Geez...

The thing is so heavy and cumbersome, would probably cost a hunk to ship it anyway... Oh well, I'll just let it lay around the shop, collect dust, and let my heirs figure it out. along with all the other oddball stuff.

This is interesting though... just goes to show, put the question to this bunch and somebobyll prolly have an answer!

Thanks guys.
          If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

• garyphansen
            • Aug 2004

Well, I got a hold of my Dad and he does remember where He go his vice. His dad got it for him. My grandfather worked for Sheldons in Muskegon. They made maple work benches for schools and maple counters for labs. I own a vice of different design that has the Sheldons cast into it. My dad is sure that it was not made by Sheldons but rather for Sheldons by another company. At the time there were many foundrys in Muskegon so I would guess that there is a good chance that your vice was made in Muskegon. Most all the shops that were in Muskegon are gone now. However, I think that Wells Standard mills are still made in Muskegon. Unless Bridgeport brings their production back from China like I have heard talk of Wells Standard is the only industrial mill still made in the USA. Gary P. Hansen

Comment

• ERBenoit
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by garyphansen
              .....However, I think that Wells Standard mills are still made in Muskegon. Unless Bridgeport brings their production back from China like I have heard talk of Wells Standard is the only industrial mill still made in the USA. Gary P. Hansen
              Wouldn't it be something to see all of the manufacturing that this country sent overseas come back home.

Not to start conflict or get O/T, according to the Harding Group web site, the Bridgeport Series I is "built" in Elmira New York. If "built" is another way to say "assembled from components manufactured elsewhere"???? No details on the country of origin of the Bridgeport line of CNC machinery.
              Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

• garyphansen
                • Aug 2004

I can remember the handle on that vice pinching my fingers a time or two when I was a kid. Gary P. Hansen

Comment

• Bill Pace
                  • Jul 2005

Gary, that ties in with what Glen was saying, --and that I found mine in Mich....

I can remember the handle on that vice pinching my fingers a time or two when I was a kid. Gary P. Hansen
                  Oh my Gosh, YES --- that thing'll reach out and grab a piece of skin!!

Comment

• Guido
                    • Apr 2004

GPHanson--------------You mentioning pinched fingers/hands. Ever learn how ro run one of these? Real quick learning curve.

G

Comment

• garyphansen
                      • Aug 2004

Guido: My dad had one of those also. And yes, it pinched my fingers a lot more times and a whole lot worse than that vice ever did. It brings back memories of my miss spent youth! If any company dared make those things today the courts would have a field day with them. Gary P. Hansen

Comment

• mwechtal
                        • Jan 2008

Guido: My dad had one of those also. And yes, it pinched my fingers a lot more times and a whole lot worse than that vice ever did. It brings back memories of my miss spent youth! If any company dared make those things today the courts would have a field day with them. Gary P. Hansen
                        Believe it or not, they are still made.

At Garrett Wade, we provide fine tools made by renowned artisans worldwide. Explore woodworkers hardware, workshop equipment, and garden tools for sale.

Mike
                        Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X