PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport gear hobbing

John Stevenson
06-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Well got the E-Lec-Tronic ger hobbing set up on the Bridgy now.
Been meaning to do this for ages but never got roundtoit.

Hob on an R8 arbor with head tilted at helix angle.
2,500 count encoder running at a 1.6 set up ratio to give 4,000 ppr.

Standard BS1 dividing head direct driven by stepper and all wired back to a Brain Thompson black box.

Runs a treat, started at 6 o'clock cutting premade blanks last night, 8 at a time on an arbor and by just before 9 o'clock I had twenty 30 tooth 20 DP and twenty four 28 tooth gears made for Myford tumbler reverse gears on the Super 7

It actually takes longer to do the blanks than cut them although I now have the CNC router cutting them out of sheet 24 at a time.

oldtiffie
06-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks lots John.

That was a "blast from the past".

Sounds like a top job.

Is it is an update on your previous set-up with a reduction gear-box on your Victoria mill?

Any more pices and info??

snowman
06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
John...your photo's never show up on my computer, any suggestions?

John Stevenson
06-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Snowman, no pic's with this post or do you mean any of mine.
At the moment our ISP, Virgin is down yet again.
They are like a whores drawers, up and down like a yo yo

Fortunately we have two other connections out but I don't host on them.
I also rent two remote servers and I could move them onto that if it helps although I do need to have a sort out, God knows what's on there.

I had to rip the gear stuff off the Bridgy today as I had a big rotor to re key but I will be doing some steel gears next week and I'll get some pic's then.

It is the same setup as I used on the Victoria mill except it uses a different encoder and a BS1 dividing head instead of the special gearbox as I didn't want to cripple the Victoria. It was more about "Can the Bridgy do it " and the answer was yes.

oldtiffie
06-20-2008, 07:03 PM
At the moment our ISP, Virgin is down yet again.
They are like a whores drawers, up and down like a yo yo.

.................................................. ........
.................................................. ........

So????????????????

Must be different virgins in your neck of the wood John.

I am reliably informed that there are few if any virgins here and also that it is a good thing as there are no rewards for terrorists ergo - no terrorist attacks - other than the local louts - and they aren't all male either!!

snowman
06-20-2008, 11:13 PM
lol

you always have that little period at the end of your post, i always thought that was my computer telling me there was a pic there

i still haven't built the hobbing machine, i'm waiting to find a gearbox that fits the bill. I've got a good size worm and gear but it's only 32 tooth, and that would mess up the math pretty good...I might end up building one a lot like the CES hobber, depends on free time this summer

Joel
06-21-2008, 12:27 AM
you always have that little period at the end of your post

He's just trying to make a point.

John Stevenson
06-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Right,
That's because i use the auto sig function in the forum software and if you don't space it with a period it crams it up too tight, like this.

Thomas Staubo
06-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Ahem, sorry to interrupt this thread, but just some info.

John (and everyone else wanting a space before the sig line), just put a couple of spaces beneath your message, and insert this html code instead of the point.

It's actually a point (could be any letter) coloured the same colour as the forum background, which is pale blue.

You then get a free space like this:

NAMPeters
07-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Still waiting for the pics.

John Stevenson
07-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Neil,
Probably not going to happen.
Setup was ripped off to put the Bridgy back to it's day to day use as a mill drill.
This post basically died anyway so obviously not the interest, should have made it wave or electric powered.:(

The setup had been published in pictures on the Victoria and it doesn't take a lot to transpose the idea to another machine.

Look at the most read posts lately, where to put a badge,harleys, wave boats and the cost of gas.

Sometimes it's not worth the effort.................

snowman
07-15-2008, 10:51 AM
This post basically died anyway so obviously not the interest, should have made it wave or electric powered.:(

lmao

I like periods.

TGTool
07-15-2008, 11:09 AM
I like periods.

According to an old joke, one of the most dangerous things in the world.

At least the kid was saying he learned that when his sister said she was missing two of them. His father blew up, his mother fainted, and the boy next door shot himself.

(Shows how old that joke is. Nowdays the boy next door would shrug, and the parents would say, wonderful - more money from the government.)

sconisbee
07-15-2008, 04:40 PM

Look at the most read posts lately, where to put a badge,harleys, wave boats and the cost of gas.

Unfortunatly very true. However stay tuned for my rotary broaching exploits, cause i've actually built the thing now lol so theres lots of scope for disaster yet:D

BadDog
07-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Neil,

The setup had been published in pictures on the Victoria and it doesn't take a lot to transpose the idea to another machine.

Well, I for one very much enjoyed looking at the pics and reading the post. Thanks for taking the time to post. However, I have no knowledge to comment, and I generally refrain from empty "wow, that's cool" posts. Sorry if that seemed to display a lack of interest.

But I fully understand your comment about the OT threads. The quantity of OT (or only remotely topical) posts combined with the bickering, pissing matches, and hijacks have largely put me off this board. The signal-to-noise has just dropped too far (from my perspective anyway). It gets old digging through OT and hijacks to find something relevant. Of course, I don't really contribute anything useful, so who am I to complain about lack of interesting on-topic content...

NAMPeters
07-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks John, I understand the need to make a living. Your work is appreciated and a stimulus as I peck along on my electronic gear cutting project.

lazlo
07-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Your work is appreciated and a stimulus as I peck along on my electronic gear cutting project.

Ditto John. You know from my posts and many PM's that I think your Ee-Lek-Tronic hobber is one of the coolest projects that's been posted here.

I should have a cobbled version of my servo-drive hobber up and running by week's end, if I can get the Bridgeport head put back together...