PDA

View Full Version : Sorta OT, alternative use for way oil

DICKEYBIRD
06-22-2008, 11:09 AM
I couldn't put it off any longer. I have to trim the holly bushes. YUCK!:(

Looking for anything to delay the process and stay in the cool confines of the workshop, I decided it was time to tune up the ol' B&D hedgeclipper. I tightened and re-staked the screws and decided to lube the blades. EUREKA! Sliding surfaces, metal to metal contact...let's try WAY OIL.

Man, when the oil creeped into the works, that thing sounded like my ol' 125 motocrosser when it came up on the pipe.;) Unhh, unhh, ka-WEEEE! I thought the motor was going to over-rev...well, not really but there was a noticeable difference.:) With any luck, there's also some obscure chemical listed on the Vactra MSDS that has truly sadistic herbicidal properties.:D

Mike Burdick
06-22-2008, 01:52 PM
DICKYBIRD,

psssst...don't tell anybody but another use for way oil is to use it as chainsaw bar oil....:p

Quetico Bob
06-22-2008, 02:05 PM
You guys are bent.
Cheers Bob

Norman Atkinson
06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Why not cooking oil? After all, aircraft engines and motor cycle engines were run on castor oil which gives people the sh1ts but that goes for a lot of things.

Swarf&Sparks
06-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Don't piss about Norm.
Why not get back to the days of steam?
That heady blend of tallow and whale oil :D

Tel
06-22-2008, 03:28 PM
'cos I threw out the only saucepan I had that was big enough for boilin' down whales and cows ;)

Swarf&Sparks
06-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Then get on with picking hempen oakum for your gland packing :D

Tel
06-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Nah, me team of orfings do that.

Swarf&Sparks
06-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Orfings!
is them anyfin like Olivers and Dodgers?

Tel
06-22-2008, 03:46 PM
That's them mate. Must be early where you are, it ain't yet 6 here on the right hand side.

Norman Atkinson
06-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Actually, I have lived on whale. There by, hangs a tail!
Seriously, I was out in Arctic Norway- midwinter with the dogs frozen to the lampposts. I'd missed becoming King of Denmark- she had been there on the previous winter survival course.All quite true, folks.You can't win 'em all.
Anyway, we were snow holing and cutting down fir trees to sleep on. I'd been given a paper body bag to put my flea bag inside. The temperature bottomed out at -32F or -32C and we actually ate whale, whale and more whale. It was relieved by Bambi burgers and something incredibly inedible called Fiske- boller. My Norwegian spelling is rough but it was 'cod balls put through a mincer and set with gelatine'

Tallow, me dear chap, is what one puts on saxophones and lead pipes or lead, kindly light.
Not necessarily in that order. I think!

Cheers, like Little Audrey and she laughed and laughed until*********
Next time

Norm

Swarf&Sparks
06-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Bugger that fer a game Norm!
Elsinore, Birnham Wood, WTF! Too bloody cold for me.
10C outside and I'm freezin in here at 22

Yeah, bit early here Tel. I'm taking a dram to stave off hypothermia.
Without giving away too much, which part of the east coast is your habitat?
(at least give us a latitude).

Cheers, Lin

Tel
06-22-2008, 04:06 PM
I've only ever been up close to one dead whale - it had stranded itself about 5 miles inland in a tidal creek and had been dead for at least a month - it was well past the eatin' stage, believe me.

Tel
06-22-2008, 04:08 PM
A bit away from the coast mate, Bathurst district - actually about 9 km from Rockley.

Swarf&Sparks
06-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry mate, anythin east of the Alice is east coast to a sandgroper :)
Bathurst is around old diggins, yeah?

Tel
06-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Yep, gold and bushranger country - and the bushrangers ain't all dead yet, just runnin' retail outlets.

Norman Atkinson
06-22-2008, 04:38 PM
And- my new pool manager in Spain is -Ned Kelly.

Now you all know where he went- robbing the Pommie Bastard here

Cheers

N

oldtiffie
06-22-2008, 04:41 PM
DICKYBIRD,

psssst...don't tell anybody but another use for way oil is to use it as chainsaw bar oil....:p

Or vice versa DB.

Why waste waste oil? Sump oil - thick -as thick as the user is best.

Waste not .........................

Swarf&Sparks
06-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Why Norm man!
If you bastards had kept the Irish under control instead of sending em here........

:D

Norman Atkinson
06-22-2008, 05:13 PM
But me daughter's mother in law has 'the little people' in her garden.
And there is no answer to them. She's lovely- bless her shelagh under her arm and that twinkle in her eye!

Swarf&Sparks
06-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Was that a shelagh (sheila) or shilelegh? :D
Anyway, lord love em. With the shebeens and the poteen and the craic.

Norman Atkinson
06-22-2008, 05:38 PM
She called Ane- which is Arnia. I'm not bad on the Gaelic but the poteen- no, seriously, I don't drink it. I was looking at the wedding photos of my son as well.

I'm a lucky, lucky man.

Norm

Tel
06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Any race that can invent Guinness can't be all bad.

dockrat
06-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Any race that can invent Guinness can't be all bad.

There are people that actually drink that stuff???? However....speaking of way oil.....................:D

tattoomike68
06-22-2008, 07:51 PM
I use chain saw bar oil for everything. LOL

Just ask the old woman. ;)

oldtiffie
06-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Don't piss about Norm.
Why not get back to the days of steam?
That heady blend of tallow and whale oil :D

You are dead right Lin.

Steam means "steamers" - does it not?

"Steamers" here are what the bloody dogs - and some big-ar*ed people - leave on foot-paths.

Mix steamers into machine or "way" oil?

Tried it - works well - tastes better - new or old - all the same!!

Better yet - put it into the 2-stroke mix - "down wind" neighbours really appreciate it - and discourages them from "wanting things done" - and that's no bad thing.

Get 'er going!!