PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Project building idea..

Dawai
06-24-2008, 10:51 AM
65-88 Model harleys have a external solonoid on the primary case. It pulls the bendix in engaging the starter gear and makes the HIGH current contacts powering the starter.

I was fiddling with Doc's starter.. (now I have worked on these things since the 70s) and I pulled the solonoid in seeing if it was binding up.. SURPRISE was when the starter motor turned on.. I knew but never realized the motor contacts were in there. I did not have my fingers in the gears or I would not have any.

A MACHINED HAND LEVER that replaced the troublesome and sticking solonoid would ebay quite well.. VTWIN has one in their catalog but none in stock. Item 32-0956 page 638... lists for near $200... looks to be a easy build. SIMPLER is better..
http://www.vtwinmfg.com/Catalog1/VTwinCatalogIndex1.htm
Catalog location..

I don't need one on my 97 roadking.. later harleys incorporated the starter into one unit like a auto.

(Doc? someone left a spring out from behind the solonoid, it would not disengage, kicked in once) Doc has been a chopper rider since the 70s also. As we get older, we look for electric start and air ride.. Doc's building himself a rigid.. tough old bird..

deltaenterprizes
06-24-2008, 08:09 PM
I can't get to the page in the catalog!