PDA

View Full Version : I had some space in my shop so this is what i did

spkrman15
06-25-2008, 07:08 AM
So i had some empty space in my shop

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/Spkrman15/DSCF0051.jpg

So i decided to do this to it...

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/Spkrman15/DSCF0054.jpg

This is an excello. Not sure of the year. I saved so much money on it i was able to afford a Accu-Rite DRO.

In my arms are my two helpers. Audrey, she is 3 and Bianca. 1 yrs old.

All that is left is installing the VFD and testing it out.

Rob :)

GKman
06-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Looks like you've needed something stable to stand on to finish that ceiling for a long time. Now you have it.

laddy
06-25-2008, 07:34 AM
I looked at the first picture and thought you screwed up your shop by making room. WoW, that is a beautiful machine you put in the space. Good luck with it!!! Fred

dewat
06-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Just because you have some extra room in your shop doesn't mean you can put the kids out there..... oh, I guess you meant that big grey thing. Nice score. :D

rmack898
06-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Nice addition, it looks quite at home there.

Quetico Bob
06-25-2008, 07:46 AM
That's a neat way to fill some space, right on!
Cheers, Bob

Swarf&Sparks
06-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Hell spkrman! Is that a wide-angle lens or a wide angle shop?

Hmmm, mill envy.
Nice piece o' kit, cheers, Lin

:)

torker
06-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Rob.....Cute kids you got there!
Ok.. spill the beans... where did you get a brand new XLO? Err...it is brand new isn't it?
Gotta know... what was the rated voltage on the machine? What VFD did you use?
Russ

Carld
06-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Ex-Cell-O's are nice machines. You have a problem though, it's to close to the window. You need to move it out about a foot. You should run the head all the way back and have about 6" clearance behind the ram.

A.K. Boomer
06-25-2008, 09:37 AM
WOW, very nice machine, looking at your um "old mill" in the background you went from rags to riches, I always liked the looks of them Excello's (cute kids too):)

Good point Carld, looks kinda close to me too.

Dawai
06-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Only thing I see is wasted space.. you can put a lathe in front of a mill and run both at once.

Nice looking kids. I remember faintly when mine were that size, now one in the Army, one's in Alabama somewhere. Damn divorces anyways. Not fair on fathers and seperated relatives.

New machinery is good.

Circlip
06-25-2008, 10:03 AM
I know somepeople do the sm4rta4se thing with Tool Gloats,but SPACE gloating???:D
An' never mind holding the kids, get 'em in some ovies with safety glasses on Mochinin.;)
Regards Ian

hornluv
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Very nice. It's a good thing you took that picture. By the time you finally come out of the shop, they'll be grown :D

quasi
06-25-2008, 11:39 AM
That Ex-lo looks like it is just out of the crate! First class ram-turret mill.

pcarpenter
06-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Carl wrote:

You should run the head all the way back and have about 6" clearance behind the ram.

I give....what's the 6" for? If you get another head to mount backt there you will need more than 6". I suppose with 6" you could hang your shop apron back there or something? If you don't need 6" you just gave up 6" times the width of the mill in floor space that you could use for space for other machines:D I built a 30x40 shop building about 4 years ago and its so packed full of metalworking machines now (in addition to workbenches, solvent tanks, welders, woodworking machines, a car, etc) that I didn't even own then that I now think about available space in square inches instead of square feet:D

I think I recall a relationship between Excello and XLO as in XLO/Van Norman. I think the two merged in the 60's somtime? They have a big XLO/Van Norman downstairs from me here at work and its a really cool machine. Anyway, does anyone know if this is correct? Maybe I just have it in my head that they are related but they are not?

Paul

Alistair Hosie
06-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Audrey and Bianca mean your hands are already full lovely children (I LOVE KIDS) .well anyway I digress,nice mill too have fun and love those kids forever I love my three boys all grown up but their still my babies kindest regardsAlistair

Chipslinger
06-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Two suggestions, Put it about 60 degrees to the wall , and Unless you have curtains you will have problems looking into a sunny window when you are machining.

tattoomike68
06-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Ex-Cell-O's are nice machines. You have a problem though, it's to close to the window. You need to move it out about a foot. You should run the head all the way back and have about 6" clearance behind the ram.

normaly you set the ram so the spindle is at the center of the Y axis travel +/- depending on what you need.

It looks fine to me.

hardtail
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Congrats, that looks like a newer style 602, whats the box sitting on the Y ways? part of your VFD? looks like a shaft running out back of it? That looks in pristine condition, what spindle does it have? These seem to be a good sturdy mill available many times at absurdly low $$$'s.

I think McGyver had a link to manuals sometime back?

wierdscience
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Nice haul,I would take an Excello over a Bridgeport in a heartbeat.

lane
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Don`t you know having extra space in the shop is against the LAW. Shame on you . You are Not suppose to have any extra room to put any thing . But you are required to put more in their . Besides I still see extra room . Hurry up and put more machines in before the space police show up. We would hate to have to take up a donation to bail you out of the extra space jail. The mill looks real good.

john hobdeclipe
06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
If I made some space, would a mill happen to me, too?

spkrman15
06-25-2008, 11:51 PM
The other side of the shop

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/Spkrman15/DSCF0058.jpg

About my shop. It is 24 x 20. I like keeping the middle clear, for automotive stuff. I am also a huge fan of not tripping over stuff. Right now i am tripping over everything!!!

Power for the mill.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/Spkrman15/DSCF0059.jpg

This is a Telemechanic VFD. I have yet to set it up, but it can have remote switches, a pot switch and power to activate another relay. For under 500.00 i can't beleive what a deal. 220 single phase in...220 3 phase out! Awesome. Max draw 21 amps!

The other side of the mill.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/Spkrman15/DSCF0060.jpg

In this picture you can see my Accurite DRO. I was playing with it tonight. How cool. Once i understand Dantums and the other terms, i will be able to use it!!!! I forsee some more posting on the BBS later on. The mill is an R-8 quill. So i will be buying some more tooling. Not much from my 3-1 will transfer over.

Story of the mill.

I had pretty much settled on buying a NEW Taiwan mill. They are really well priced right now. I had a little time to kill, so i headed over to the local machine dealer. You know, the guys who never give us HSM'ers the time of day. Well well. The sales manager comes out. Talks to me. Shows me his new Lilians, explains why they have them there, etc. So far i am following and feeling like he is listening to what i want.

Well then he showed me a Bidgeport, the Excello and another brand. We looked at them all, filled me in on their history, etc. The excello was listed at 3450. He said for 3200.00 he would deliver it to me and install it in my shop. ??? What? Really! So i thought about it, and then he said,

"Honestly you should have a DRO"
"Yeah i looked at the Accu-rites when i was at the Montreal Manufacturing Trade Show"
"Well let's see which model would be the best"

After showing me the 3 different models, he told me, buy the cheap one, even the lowest model is great. Whole package. 4500.00 with the DRO installed, delivered to my door, set in my garage. I bought a collet set as well and had them throw in an arbor with a chuck on it.

I told the guys how happy i was with the service. The tech guy spent 2 hours with me, running and inspecting the mill. All this work for a used mill.

Woo-hoo, oh and my wife doesn't understand at all...and i quote "wow it is BIG"

Rob :)

LpGibson
06-25-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm kind of curious as to how the heck you turned that old engine block into that new kick butt mill. I have some old blocks around that i could convert. Very nice have fun with it as well as the kids. Congrats.... Fred

torker
06-25-2008, 11:58 PM
I still wanna know where you get them brand spankin new XLo's from??? :D
I want one.... lucky bastich ;)

abn
06-26-2008, 03:36 AM
Nice mill, table looks pristine. Great find.

Chipslinger
06-26-2008, 05:56 AM
It's not you, it's the Economy salesmen need to put gas in the car and food on the table also.

Carld
06-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Well, he can always open the window when he has to move the ram all the way back for a job.