PDA

View Full Version : OT oil filters

bighammer
06-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Anyone here have a link to an oil filter interchange cross reference chart, for auto oil filters,fram to wix to purolator to ac etc. There were a several posts here recently for shop links so thought I'd ask.

Willy
06-25-2008, 08:01 PM
While certainly not all inclusive this one covers the popular ones.

http://www.a1lubricants.com/ofrefer.html

I believe Fram has a more compete cross reference on their website.
The other manufactures probably offer similar charts.

bighammer
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks Willy just what I need to grt a start. I use some odd ball filters here just in case some one is tired of paying 10-12$ at sears for oil filters for kohlor v-twin 20 to 25 hp the fram #tg3614 fits.

jcarter
06-25-2008, 10:58 PM
www.wixfilters.com go to filter lookup and they have OEM and competitor cross references.

kendall
06-26-2008, 12:25 AM
thread and size of the gasket are the main consideration, very rarely will you find an application where the outside diameter of the filter is important, and even rarer is finding an application that you -NEED- the shorter version.

I for one, most often find a replacement that is longer than the called for filter if it's one of those short stubby little things, just for more filter area

If you can't find a low-cost match, make up an adapter to use an easily sourced replacement. $12 per filter, or spend 20 minutes making an adapter to allow you to use $4. auto parts replacements instead is good sense.

Ken.

Willy
06-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Ken you make some interesting points for adapting bigger and less expensive filters to applications that they were not originally specified for. I too will opt for a larger filter for an application that originally specified a short filter, usually at the same if not cheaper price.

One does have to do a little research though in selecting filters for non OEM applications though. For example was the filter originally mounted horizontally? If so it will usually have an anti drain back valve incorporated into the filter canister. Selecting a filter that was originally speced for a vertical installation will usually not have this feature. This means every time you start the engine the oil pump has to fill an empty oil filter, not good for for engine longevity!

One of my pet peeves though is the fact that we probably have 3000 filters in the parts books...wtf? Why doesn't industry standardize some of these applications? Can you imagine the mess we'd have if every electrical appliance had a different plug? It's just oil we're filtering, we could probably get by with fifty or so different sizes and flow ratings and eliminate this costly nightmare.

bighammer
06-26-2008, 11:13 AM
jcarter thanks good link.

ken i agree about the od & length, but its where they put the dam things on my ford truck 300 6 tis out there in frount of you on the side of engine with enough room to hold a union meating around it. on the car with 3.8 v6 you can only get hold 1.5" or so of the filter can,no room at all so small o/d a must. on the riding mower the frame is in the way small o/d here to. the 12$ filter has a 4$ option if you can change to auto filter number, which i did. other than gasket and thread size one still has to know about the bypass valve, in the filter or the engine.

willy 3000 filters????? duh?? it would be too easy to standardize them myhaps 6-24 sizes would cover all, put anti drain back valve in the white ones, or the blue.

pcarpenter
06-26-2008, 04:54 PM
I have one of the Kohler vertical shaft V-twins (Command series) in 27HP. Wix filters are highly rated and Wix makes filters for Napa. I found my local Napa had the very one I needed in stock.

Paul