PDA

View Full Version : HD Joy gas drive air compressor???

torker
06-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey guys! Anyone here have anything to do with Joy gas drives? The one I found is a Model VH4D. Has a 4cyl Wisconsin V-4.
Wondering about their reputation etc.
Also.. any idea how much the fuel consumption would be?
Thanks!
Russ

wierdscience
06-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Is the pump a piston pump,vane pump or air screw?

Piston pump,no good,vane better,air screw best.

Wisconsin V-4 fuel consumption similar to a SBC.Parts cost 4xs as much.

Unless it is running,pumping and cheap avoid it.

My buddy picked up a 165 Ingersoll air screw the otherday,4cly JD turbo diesel,overdrive air screw(speed increaser gearbox) uses about 12 gallons in an 8hr day.

It was skid mounted in good shape $2200,that little turbo diesel sure sounds good too.

If you ever land an air screw there are several things to do on a used unit.The oil return filters get clogged and the unloader rubbers crack,replace those ($400-600) and they run like new.

An air screw with the engine not running is easy to check,if the airscrew turns without noise chances are it will run fine.

Dragons_fire
06-25-2008, 10:29 PM
if you get it, make sure to ask A.K.Boomer how to mount it.. he seems to be a pro!!! :D

oldtiffie
06-26-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the info on the screw-type compressors wierdscience.

They are, as you say, very efficient (for a compressor) and work really well and are VERY smooth-running. We had one in an Engineering demonstration and work-shop building when I was with Navy (civilian). That big compressor handled everything that was asked of it. A great machine. Smaller ones are good too - whether "fixed" or "portable". Maintenance is important.

The following link may help some with the the concept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_compressor

AK Boomer will be impressed!!

torker
06-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Darin, this is a piston pumper. Um... WOW! Same fuel guzzler as a SBC!!!!
Ouch!
OK.. it's not running.. don't know of it pumps then.. and has a few missing parts.(Something that hooks in the pressure lines right after the pump is missing. Looks the size of an oil filter??)
The whole unit looks in very good shape though. There is no battery in it (6V) so I couldn't start it. Coulda used 12V but didn't have jumpers.
For around here...$1000 is pretty cheap. Any other running unit is $3000 and up.
I wanna use this for my sandblasting equipment.
Thanks. I'm thinkin "PASS"
Russ

wierdscience
06-26-2008, 01:33 AM
Russ,those Wis v4's have an exhuast manifold that is the worlds best funnel,most of the time if they aren't running they don't run cause the're locked up:(

torker
06-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Geez... I'm suprised to hear that. When I first saw this thing I thought I'd stumbled on a real bonanza. They use that same motor in some of the older smallish bobcats.. a 107 cu in.
The compressor as a whole is far more complicated than I thought it would be. Seems to have a decent filter/separator setup. Guess that doesn't matter if the motor don't run and the pistons don't pis...er..work either.
Thanks!
Russ

jimmstruk
06-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Torker, I am not expert on old air compressors, but in the automobile world they went 12 volt around the mid 50s. That could make the unit you are looking at somewhat antique. JIM

torker
06-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Jim.. good point. It has a really nice generator charging setup also. you remember the ones... regulator hangin off the side...with the wires all unhooked...cuz it doesn't work.
I was thinking of changing it to a Delco 12V alternator.

jimmstruk
06-26-2008, 09:42 AM
My advice is do not walk away, RUN!!! JIM

torker
06-26-2008, 10:05 AM
My advice is do not walk away, RUN!!! JIM
LOL! I'm runnin!