PDA

View Full Version : small project i was working on - movement holder

andy_b
06-26-2008, 12:56 AM
summer is here, so i don't get to spend too much time checking in. i've been playing around with some old watches and needed a movement/case holder. being cheap, having lots of junk around, and having a bunch of machine tools, i decided to just build one. i made it from a chunk of scrapyard steel i had. i got to use the lathe, milling machine, bandsaw, and drill press. not too bad. i just chucked the steel in a four-jaw on the lathe to true it up since i didn't feel like rigging anything up on the mill, and the shaper is set up to cut keyways in some shafts, so i didn't want to disturb it.
if any of you play around with watches, the movement holders are usually some cheap aluminum things. as with most projects i come up with, this holder is about 100x overbuilt. it must weigh at least two pounds. i want to add two more sets of mounting holes and use brass or a high-density plastic for the studs, but for now it works.

http://home.ptd.net/~hamrdog/images/watch_holder.jpg

andy b.

Philip Bayer
06-26-2008, 08:00 AM
That's a nice rugged case holder, hopefully you don't crush the watch! :D

A nice aspect of the dainty, lightweight, commercially made holders is that I usually hold them in my hand while working so as to assist in positioning parts or manipulating things. I have in the past machined brass rings that custom fit a movement to use for that special movement, or to free up the general purpose holder.

andy_b
06-26-2008, 09:59 AM
i was thinking of using some PVC to make up holders for the various size movements (the round movements anyway). i think i have every size PVC from 1/2" up to 4" laying around, not to mention all of the fittings. i think i could make any size needed with no missed sizes. i may actually do that this weekend.

and yes, i am certain i could crush any movement i stuck in the holder if i wanted to. :) my biggest worry is accidentally dropping it on my foot.

andy b.