PDA

View Full Version : OT How to check ebay win

greyhawk200
06-26-2008, 08:28 PM
I just won a stair lift on Ebay but I'm worried. The price was the lowest and I was the only one biding. How do you guys check for a rip off? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140242862801

Jim Caudill
06-26-2008, 08:41 PM
#1 I don't understand your question.
#2 You shouldn't be bidding if you don't understand what you are getting into.
#3 After the auction is not the time to be asking questions.

Chipslinger
06-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Jim was being kind.

ARE YOU STUPID? :)

Frank Ford
06-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Chipslinger -

Was that comment really necessary? Give a guy a break!

Greyhawk -

I think you might be confused by the other two listed above your winning item description. As I looked closely, they were listed as "similar items by other eBay sellers." As to the possibility of ripoff - it's always there, and perhaps more so from a seller with (0) feedback. As to this particular item, it's a used unit and I suppose it's likely that it was never installed. I have the creeping arthritis, and every time I stand up these days, I'm glad I don't have stairs in my house!

By the way, I always try to pay by PayPal because they really help you out in the case of a disputed transaction.

Chipslinger
06-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Chipslinger -

Was that comment really necessary? Give a guy a break!

Greyhawk -

I think you might be confused by the other two listed above your winning item description. As I looked closely, they were listed as "similar items by other eBay sellers." As to the possibility of ripoff - it's always there, and perhaps more so from a seller with (0) feedback. As to this particular item, it's a used unit and I suppose it's likely that it was never installed. I have the creeping arthritis, and every time I stand up these days, I'm glad I don't have stairs in my house!

By the way, I always try to pay by PayPal because they really help you out in the case of a disputed transaction.

Jim Give him a break, I might add I responded before he posted a link.

Now that I understand the situation, I stand by my remark.:D

davidh
06-26-2008, 11:15 PM
if you pay by credit card you also can dispute the payment within a month if my memory serves me correct. . . . . thats how i would do this deal.

greyhawk200
06-27-2008, 04:49 AM
Jim was being kind.

ARE YOU STUPID? :)

and you are drunk but you'll be sober in the morning

Chipslinger
06-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Nope, I don't drink, I am just this way without any enhancement.

torker
06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
LOL! Did you notice... he says "If you are the only bidder and you win.. I'll ship it for nothing if on the east coast...then goes on to say "Buyer is responsible for all shipping"
So which is it?
I never buy from anyone that doesn't have a fair amount of feedback.
Who knows.. you may be ok, only time will tell.

BigBoy1
06-27-2008, 08:36 AM
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't!

Bill

Bill

dp
06-27-2008, 11:54 AM
The price is reasonable, a bit less than for new. If the shipping is not excessive you have a good product at a good price. You didn't save a bundle of money, though.

tmarks11
06-27-2008, 08:03 PM
0 feedback is generally a big red flag.

PAYPAL will not protect you in this case (you have to read the fine print, paypal "protection" only covers sellers with something like a 95% rating and at least 50 feedback (of course they advertise it on every ebay auction like it is a done deal).

I think you are getting scammed on shipping, and the extra bid was a shill to cancel out the absurd "free shipping (up to 200)" statement.

Are you close to NC? Go and pick it up and save some heartache.

Dawai
06-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Go and pick it up and save some heartache.
Yeah, I told Doc as we followed the grubby looking guy down a alleyway.. we may die here today..

Yeah, I told Mikey as we backed the brand new Duramax diesel into the empty warehouse in Michigan to load a flattie, yeah, he might have a duramax diesel on ebay next week..

Crooks abound now on the internet. Being 300lbs and tattooed don't make you bulletproof.. Being very aware of your surroundings will keep you alive and unventilated. Having a pistol in your car does not stop a gun fight, it just makes it not so one sided.

Yeah, I'd go pick it up, if you can do it for less than the new one delivered to you.. otherwise I'd buy a new one.

biometrics
07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Ask the seller for the pick up address... then check the address against a business search on whitepages.com for "Martin Enterprises" to see if they have a legitimate listing in the charlotte NC area. There are 4 "Martin Enterprises " that come up on a search within 50 miles of Charlotte... Good Luck.

quasi
07-01-2008, 06:12 PM
0 feedback, I would not have bid, and I AM STUPID!

GKman
07-01-2008, 09:21 PM
All of those million of sellers on Ebay had zero feedback once. Obvious crooks I've seen are stuff like real popular motorcycle models at half the going rate and "email me before you bid". Helped a buddy shop for one of those stair lifts and learned a little. They seem to be on the market when some old person doesn't need them any more, they are big, in the way and with a thousand more things they don't need any more. If someone doesn't need one right now you couldn't give it away. If somebody is ever going to be an ebay seller, it's a good time to start. So the story, price and deal look valid. I feel kind of self insured on ebay. Gotten screw a couple of times, got way below retail lots of times and got something really hard to find at a fair price a few times so I'm way ahead. Two big ticket items (2006 Kawasaki Cruiser and 250 dirt bike I went and picked up and paid in person. Good luck and let us know how you come out.