PDA

View Full Version : questoin on mini mill

airsmith282
06-26-2008, 11:29 PM
can i do milling using the supplied 5/8 chuck and no do any damage to me or the machine,, i dont have any collets yet but was woundering if its ok to do some milling , would it be better to use my metabo keyless self tightening chuck instead of the factory chuck

Bob Ford
06-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Expect that eventually the milling cutter will come loose and damage your table or work. Milling sets up a different vibration than drilling.

Bob

doctor demo
06-27-2008, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't try it, especialy if the chuck is held on the shank with just a taper the loading on the chuck from the cutting will rattle the chuck off the shank and send it where you do not want it.
Steve

dp
06-27-2008, 01:19 AM
I have a Jacobs chuck in my mini mill and also some collets and holder. Both work fine for the kinds of work I'm doing. I wouldn't consider using a keyless chuck for anything but drilling.

airsmith282
06-27-2008, 09:53 AM
well alrighty then i guess ill have to waite till i can afford some collets for it then , I dont want to damage the mill

SGW
06-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Definitely not recommended. The side load imposed by milling will almost certainly "walk" the chuck off its taper mounting shank, sooner or later.

pcarpenter
06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
"woundering" Yeah...that's a good word for what you were asking about:D

Same answer....drill chucks can loosen under side loads...especially the keyless type. I have one of those really nice, really expensive Jacobs precision keyless types (I nearly stole it at the price I found it for...I'm not rich). Its even designed so that it tightens itself under use. I used it with a large drill which started some vibration in cutting and the bit immediately came out of the drill. Not to be swayed from danger, I tried it again with the same result.

Paul