PDA

View Full Version : Sport Honda motorcycle, automatic transmission

Dawai
06-28-2008, 02:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vToMD7l8Q

New and neato. Shiftless transmission sport bike. OR, you can set six gears to manual change it. IT sits upright, not like a monkey screwing a basketball sport ride.

Anybody got a picture of the "guts" of the transmission?

aboard_epsilon
06-28-2008, 02:49 PM
something else to go wrong if you ask me

scroll down

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/10/04/honda-dn-01-human-friendly-transmission-hft/

aqll the best..markj

j king
06-28-2008, 07:47 PM
yamaha fjr 1300 has had it for a few years already. On my wish list....

Mcruff
06-28-2008, 09:53 PM
yamaha fjr 1300 has had it for a few years already. On my wish list....
Has what?
The FJR uses a conventional 5 Speed transmission with a multi plate wet clutch and shaft drive.
The buttons on the left handle bar are for the windscreen adjustment.

Evan
06-28-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm finished riding my motorcycle around here. The fu***ng government insurance corporation has jacked the rates into the stratosphere. I just checked a few days ago and they have raised them again even higher. It will now cost me $1000 per year for absolute minimum liability insurance on my Suzuki GN400 which is 26 years old and nothing special. I have a perfect record with no accidents or tickets and have been riding motorcycles since I was 16.

That's why I am building an electric bike. I already have plans for a much more powerful one. I found out something interesting when I was checking the rates. I talked to a rep from the gov insurer and asked him about insuring an electric bike with greater than 1.5 kilowatts power. That's the upper limit in the law for the definition of a limited speed motorcycle.

It turns out that a trike with 3 kilowatts of power isn't a motor vehicle. In fact, it doesn't even exist in law. It can't be insured but it isn't prohibited either as the motor vehicle act is special in that it must specify everything that it applies to. It can't by applied to something by omission. I talked to a traffic cop after that and he agreed that if he stopped me and found that I didn't have insurance because it wasn't available that there was nothing he could do about it. You can't be charged for not having a vehicle licensed or insured if neither can be had and the vehicle isn't specifically prohibited. As long as the vehicle meets the relevant (closest) federal vehicle safety code it can still be driven on the public hiways.

This does not apply to snow machines or ATVs as they are very specifically mentioned as well as anything with an IC engine, even hovercraft. The only thing left out (so far) is full speed electric motorcycles.

j king
06-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Mcruff..
Here is this off yamas add.

* Another Yamaha first: a computer operated clutch and electronic shift actuators eliminate the need to operate the clutch. Yamaha Chip Control Shifting snaps off clean up- and downshifts every time using either the left bar-mounted paddles or the low-effort foot shifter.

Search FJR1300AE Needs AE!

Heck here is the whole thing. Sweet bike.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelfeatures/501/0/features.aspx

Mcruff
06-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Mcruff..
Here is this off yamas add.

* Another Yamaha first: a computer operated clutch and electronic shift actuators eliminate the need to operate the clutch. Yamaha Chip Control Shifting snaps off clean up- and downshifts every time using either the left bar-mounted paddles or the low-effort foot shifter.

Search FJR1300AE Needs AE!

Heck here is the whole thing. Sweet bike.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelfeatures/501/0/features.aspx

Well I hadn't seen that one at the dealerships, heck I've been looking at the FJR1300 for the last 5 months, have a brochure and it doesn't even mention that model of FJR1300, must have separate brochures.
I guess in my area theres not enough market to have one at the dealers or the dealers don't think it will sell well enough to order one..

A.K. Boomer
06-29-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm finished riding my motorcycle around here. The fu***ng government insurance corporation has jacked the rates into the stratosphere. I just checked a few days ago and they have raised them again even higher. It will now cost me $1000 per year for absolute minimum liability insurance on my Suzuki GN400 which is 26 years old and nothing special. I have a perfect record with no accidents or tickets and have been riding motorcycles since I was 16.

I cannot for the life of me understand that, I heard you talk of it before but I didnt realize it was that far out of wack, Last time I had my GN 400 insured it cost me 40 bucks for a half year.

Ian B
06-29-2008, 01:46 AM
David,

Reading Honda's blurb, it's a CVT transmission with no gears. What they say about the 'sport' mode is that you get a "manual transmission feel" - sounds like the software will set the transmission to one of six predetermined ratios and change in jumps. I don't think that you get both an automatic and a six box.

Ian

Peter Neill
06-29-2008, 02:49 AM
The hydraulic CVT is an interesting development.
However the concept of automatic transmissions on bikes is not new, and IIRC Honda made a 2 speed automatic (CB400 twin I think) some 30 years ago.
I can't remember it being a great sales success though.

I think the latest development has been spurred on by the legion of push button quickshifers that people started adding to road bikes 7-8 years back, following their use in some Grand Prixs.
These used a pneumatic cylinder to move the gearlever and a switch to momentarily cut the ignition to give very fast clutchless upshifts. I don't think they were used for downshifts though.

Peter

A.K. Boomer
06-29-2008, 07:39 AM
However the concept of automatic transmissions on bikes is not new, and IIRC Honda made a 2 speed automatic (CB400 twin I think) some 30 years ago.
I can't remember it being a great sales success though.

Peter

No it wasnt a big seller, only one I can remember in town was this old man who put a wooden box on the back of his and carried god only knows what around with him, he was a card, he also wore goggles and was quite the picture while cruising, I serviced that bike for many a year, it had over 50,000 miles on it when I stopped working at the shop, I seen it running for a good decade and a half after,

I think Ian B has it right, what a bore - a CVT on a motorcycle, they had to zip it up somehow, oh well - the way Iv been driving the tercel lately for economy it might as well be a CVT:)

Chipslinger
06-29-2008, 07:57 AM
The Hondamatic a good womans bike, or for old people.

Dawai
06-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Yeah, pretty neato just the same.

I knew a one armed engineer. He had vincient black shadows and a 750 honda matic.

Sometimes easier is better thou.
I told a local, he could not back his Vstar out of the garage by himself, it was up a slight incline.. he needed a smaller bike and he got angry and quit talking to me.
Motorcycles are supposed to be agile quick and fun. Not strain your hemmoroids.

THIS P&ID of this transmission, add in a hydraulic accumulator and you got the same kinda "energy storage" a battery vehicle does.. when you brake, you pump up the accumulator. Mother Earth News in the 80s had a 7 1/2hp car based on a vw chassis, it had a off the shelf side shaft motor, pump, star gear rotor motor on the vw transaxle.. it only needed one gear.. it got over 70mpg.. with off the shelf parts.. It was no slug, hauled ass..

Now add in a efficient engine, a computer to control when to pump and when to suck.. a gps to evaluate the forward looking road conditions on when to build and store power? and you got a winner that would easily get over 100mpg. Still all off the shelf..

Someone said these transmissions were on 4 wheelers for a while now.. I think one is on the cub cadet here also..

Evan
06-29-2008, 09:25 AM
I am almost finished with some modifications to the drive system on my electric bike. It has (within a few days) an automatic 2 ratio transmission now with regenerative braking. The transmission can be manually shifted or set to change ratio at a preset speed. It also has a "turbo" mode that switches the battery pack to 24 volts series instead of 12 volt parallel in low range only, manual control only with a time limit. It also has an onboard lightweight switch mode intelligent fast charger for the VRLA cells and an instrument panel with dual LCD monitors for voltage and current draw.

I'm also considering installing dual air horns. :D

John Stevenson
06-29-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm also considering installing dual air horns. :D

Is that instead of brakes ?

texas_po_boy
06-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey Evan, hope you will post some pictures of your work. I am sure a lot of members would like to see them.

Evan
06-29-2008, 05:47 PM
The next update will be when I have done some road tests and have some performance data. I have been doing some testing today but am still working on the high gear system. I also have to build the instrument panel and am waiting on an order of mosfets for a controller.

pntrbl
06-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Evan, I've got a Cheapo Chinese electric bike around here that's seen a lot of use. 36v and it'll haul my butt up to about 25 mph! No gears but it does have some kind of ratcheting action in the back hub so when you back off the EMF doesn't try to throw you over the bars. 10" wheels put's it right about the size of a Honda XR50. Weighs 95 lbs.

Great fun! It's my vehicle of choice around the neighborhood.

SP

Evan
06-29-2008, 07:52 PM
This looks interesting. 100% electric and does 0 to 50 mph in 6.8 seconds.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics4/vectrix.gif

http://www.vectrix.com/portal/index.php