PDA

View Full Version : Coolant "squirt" bottles - Anyone need some?

Fasttrack
07-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Thats right folks, for the low low price of only 19.95 plus S&H you can have your very own coolant squirt bottle, complete with collectable John Deere stamp emblazened on the bottle.

Seriously, I've seen some threads here in the past about people looking for a bottle to squirt coolant during drilling operations or what-have-you and thought if anyone is still in need maybe I can give a little something back.

For the last few weeks I've been working 12-16 hour days (unofficially, obviously) planting. During that time we went through many bottles of John Deere powdered graphite, which is dumped into the seed bin to lubricate the seeds as they are planted.

I saved 4-5 of them and I made sure to swap out the tops with the new ones so these tops have no holes in them. That means you can poke whatever size hole is appropriate. For water based coolant, I'd use a very small hole while a heavy oil could be larger. The holes that we were cutting in them to dump powder were 1/4"+ so that could be kind of tough to use.

Anyway, I'll try to snap some pictures so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about here. They have a little spout on them like a caulk gun would and you would ordinarily cut the top off, but I think for coolant you'd be better off just poking a small hole in it. You still have to turn the bottle upside down, so its not a perfect solution, but it does seem to be chemical resistant. I've got a bottle full of Mobilmet Omega.

If anyone wants 1 or 2 pm me with your address. I'll be happy to pay the shipping.

oh and don't worry, they're not 19.95, they're free! ;)

dp
07-01-2008, 02:01 AM
I use mustard squeeze bottles. I get about 1 per month at my current hotdog consumption rate. They have a quick snap cap and are easy to find because of the bright yellow! Keeps them out of the land fills, too.

Recycling is a good thing.

gellfex
07-01-2008, 01:14 PM
I buy 2oz needle tipped plastic bottles at the art supply store. Even full they're light enough to dangle near the tool by a piece of coiled telephone handset wire. I was damned tired of always searching for the lube bottle, and finding it under my foot squirting all over the floor!

Fasttrack
07-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Thats a good idea gellfex!

There is one bottle left if anyone needs it.

Oldbrock
07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
I taught in a vocational school with a beauty culture department and I used to go and get their hair colour (that's limey spelling) bottles for coolant. thousands available, one for cutting oil and one for soluble oil and water on each lathe. If the wife used hair colour you have a ready supply. Peter

d kirby
07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Here in the little city of Brantford Ont there is a dollar store that I visit that has a good selection of squirt bottles, some with the pumps or just the squeeze type. A lot of them are clear too so you can see how much coolant you have left.
At the same store is where I buy the batteries for my digital calipers, you get 5 batteries for $1.00. They also stock the peel and stick labels that i use on my hardware bins, I think there are 40 labels in a package for $1.00.
Dave

Scishopguy
07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Guys...Isn't that what dish washing liquid bottles are for??? We used them for soluble oil and water at the drill presses and lathes all the time.

PS: I really like the mustard bottle idea. I consume quite a bit of that myself and have a ready supply at hand

pcarpenter
07-01-2008, 07:08 PM
My wife and I both wear contacts. As such we have a lot of the empty saline solution and disinfection solution bottles. They are about ideal since they are inherently designed to just drip if turned upside down or to squirt a very fine stream if squeezed. Some solvents leave the snap on top fit weak after a very long time, but they can then be pitched and start over. I keep kerosene and alcohol in these with no problems. You just pull hard on the snap on cap to remove it.

If you like, you can go to the hardware and buy very fine brass tubing and bend a gentle 90 in a piece. Leave it long so it runs clear to the bottom of the bottle and enlarge the hole in the plastic bottle top to accomodate the tubing with a press fit. For just a few cents, you have a brass spout "wash bottle" that you can use for gently dispensing just about anything without turning the bottle upside down. In changing temperatures these can perk out solvents when you don't want them to due to changing internal vapor pressure. I take a thumb tack and poke a tiny breather hole in the lid to prevent this. When you squeeze, some air will leak out this hole, but it doesn't hurt anything. If you don't want the air leakage, just reach up with the index finger tip and cover the tiny hole when you squeeze. I have some commercial wash bottles and had to do this with them too to keep them from sitting in a puddle of alcohol.

I'm not saying the other bottles don't work, but stuff like soap bottles seem to really dump out more than you might want and being able to deliver just a tiny squirt or a few drops is really handy.

Paul

Shank
07-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Here is a handy little tip to save cutting oil. I use a naloge (sp?) bottle like the kind that football players use to squirt through their face mask. The tip has to have a very small hole and it can double as a dispenser and vacuum. Just squeeze the air out of the bottle create a air pocket in the tube, and gently suck up the oil or just squeeze out oil on the cut.

Works great and really reduces oil usage. :D

Fasttrack
07-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Yep! I do that all the time Shank. You get more tramp oil sucked up that way, but it doesn't bother anything in a little hand-held dispenser.

Dish-soap bottles and contact lens bottles are a good idea. I'll have to remember to save those.

doctor demo
07-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Does that free bottle come with a free pacemaker?
If not, I will decline your offer.
Steve:) .

Fasttrack
07-02-2008, 01:23 AM
LOL - nope, I couldn't afford the postage for that. ;)

There is only one bottle left and it has a large hole in the spout. I will dump it in the recycling here in a few days.

Your Old Dog
07-02-2008, 08:47 AM
I get about 1 per month at my current hotdog consumption rate.

DP, you're eating too much processed meats. :D

Fasttrack
07-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Well, between trying to quick finish up some parts for my brother-in-law and my Pacemaker before heading back and then several appointments and then a change of plans, I haven't gotten the coolant bottles shipped.

I'm really sorry guys. I have the bottles in boxes and addressed but I haven't taken the boxes to the post office yet. I'll send them as soon as I get back. Should be monday or tuesday at the latest.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't get them out sooner. I didn't have as much time as I thought I had.

GKman
07-04-2008, 01:39 PM
If you saw our corn field you'd feel proud of yourself for using all that graphite. My neighbor, farmer obviously didn't. But with the price of corn and he did hit more than he missed and it didn't flood so we're happy.

38_Cal
07-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey, FT, the world won't end because the bottles are not yet here! Very obviously from your other posts, you've been a little bit busy!

David
Montezuma, IA

RobbieKnobbie
07-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I get cleaner spray bottles from the dollar store... once the cleaner is used up I fill them with coolant. They give a nice spray pattern (but aren't able to suck up puddles of coolant off the machines - so that's a minus I guess)

The two are easy to tell apart, the coolant is white while the cleaner is clear orange.

spope14
07-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I just buy some spray bottles from the local hardware store for water based coolant, figure out the ounces and mix it up. I would rather have students spray the coolant on that try to put it on out of a mustard bottle. The clean up is a bit more, but I have to think the safety for HS students over what I may otherwise do as an experienced person.

I also have to put MSDS labels on everything, but the note about color coding bottles found earlier in the thread is excellant. Thanks.

Hey, for cutting oil, NOTHING beats those little spill proof oil containers that MSC sells. The brand escapes me, but they have saved hundreds of dollars in oils over the years in my shop as well as hours of lost time for clean-up.

Alistair Hosie
07-05-2008, 08:55 PM
fastrack I'll take a dozen at $100 dollars each send the bill to my boss sir John Stevenson robin hood country england:D:DAlistair

oldtiffie
07-05-2008, 09:09 PM
fastrack I'll take a dozen at $100 dollars each send the bill to my boss sir John Stevenson robin hood country england:D:DAlistair

................. who is in the Castle Keep or dungeon with Maid Marian - that's her in the leather suit with the mask and whip and John on the rack - smiling his head off.

Alistair is the Sheriff (of Nottingham).

I don't think that any of that three-some require any help - just a paying audience (not with the Bishop though!!).

Your "squirt bootles" can be removed by prior appointment - by the Prior himself!!!

Quetico Bob
07-05-2008, 09:26 PM
The John Deere stamp is intriguing, have two of their machines here, They never gave me one!!. Right now Iím using ľ litre old water bottles with a piece of insulation stripped from 12 gauge copper wire melted into the top. But add me to Sir John Stevensonís order, sounds like heís good for it.
Cheers, Bob

miker
07-05-2008, 09:41 PM
spope14, Is this the non spill can you were referring too?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=17284234&PMT4NO=45621891

Rgds

oldtiffie
07-05-2008, 10:35 PM
I get about 1 per month at my current hotdog consumption rate.

DP, you're eating too much processed meats. :D

Maybe not.

Maybe Dennis is in the small league.

This - saw it on the news this week - is the real big league. I couldn't imagine bending over a machine with hot cutting oil fumes much less using a mustard bottle to put the cutting oil on for quite a while after this "effort".

Me?

I just don't "cut the mustard" here:

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=cutting+the+mustard&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21963690-2,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23967357-38198,00.html

http://searchresults.news.com.au/servlet/Search?queryterm=hot+dog+eating+champion&searchoption=yes&site=ninews&x=21&y=6

38_Cal
07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Got the squirt bottles today. Thanks much, Fasttrack, they will be put to good use very soon!

David
Montezuma, IA

Bmyers
07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
My bottles arrived today also. thank you very much

Fasttrack
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
No problem - hope they're what you were expecting!