PDA

View Full Version : Miller welder update

sid pileski
07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Well- My miller syncrowave 250 is back up and running.
The main PCB was damaged. I sent the board out to be repaired. They told me over the phone blown ICs and other components.
$540.00 later, I'm good to go. Ouch! At least now I can finish my headers.
Time's running out.

Sid

macona
07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Who repaired it? Innovat?

gnm109
07-01-2008, 06:13 PM
I have a Syncrowave 200 SW that, thankfully, is working well. I'm curious if there was any discussion of the failure mode on your machine. I wonder if there is anything that we should do or not do with these machines.

I'd also like to know the company that repaired your circuit board.

Thanks in advance.

sid pileski
07-01-2008, 09:20 PM
The company that repaired the board was QIE out of Greensburo, NC.
I paid a rush @ a 25% premium. They turned the board around in one day.
GMN, there was a discussion in an earlier thread, but basically I think I was hit by lightning.
I'm now going to unplug after each use. Cant hurt!

Sid

kf2qd
07-01-2008, 09:33 PM
You could probably replace most of the electronics in those older welders with a PLC, but then you have to know how to program them and figure out the program yourself. Company I used to work for used a PLC for about have the electronics in that type machine.

I bet you all have the spare time to sit around and work out the logic and interfacing to make that work...

sid pileski
07-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I really don't have the expertice for something like that anyway.
This has been a great welder for the last ten years. Just a freak thing.

Sid

NickH
07-02-2008, 03:08 AM
You could probably replace most of the electronics in those older welders with a PLC, but then you have to know how to program them and figure out the program yourself. Company I used to work for used a PLC for about have the electronics in that type machine.

I bet you all have the spare time to sit around and work out the logic and interfacing to make that work...

That is such a good idea, duly filed for future use, in the same vein you could also use a PIC chip with fairly minimal support components,
Regards,
Nick

macona
07-02-2008, 03:46 AM
PLC wont work. The board drives the SCRs directly. Isolation is needed and it has to work in a very noisy environment electrically.

By the time you buy the PLC, program it and buld a circuit to isolate everything you could have bought a brand new board. A synchro 250 board is about $650 new.