PDA

View Full Version : OT: Weldment that will take gun bluing process?

Your Old Dog
07-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Maybe someone here can help.

My friend has an early production run 10mm Colt auto with a cracked frame. He was wondering if there is any rod available that he can have the crack prepped and welded and blued without discoloration on the frame when done.

Colt want's $600.00 to repair their mistake even though the gun is was under warranty when the crack developed. He does not want to plate the gun but prefers blue.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rustybolt
07-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Tig welding.I don't know if that's possible since every weld is essentially a casting,he will be welding a forging, but if he can find some rod or a piece of steel off a similar gun to use as filler he can get very close.

Swarf&Sparks
07-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Pardon the interruption, I know nothing about gunsmithing, but how the hell can a company that big refuse to service the weapon if it's under warranty?

38_Cal
07-04-2008, 10:46 AM
In re-reading the original post, it "was" under warranty when it cracked. Had it been sent back at that time, I'm sure Colt would have taken care of it. Since it's a 10mm, it could be as much as 22-23 years old. Lots of folks just plain procrastinate, especially when the problem is with a firearm, because of the b.s. involved with returning it to a factory...even more so now, with UPS and FedEx requiring Next Day Air service because they can't keep their thieving employees from taking guns from normal shipping! I would suggest that the owner call Colt and chat with the customer service manager, not the underlings on the phone.

Good luck!

David
Montezuma, IA

lazlo
07-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Tig welding.I don't know if that's possible since every weld is essentially a casting,he will be welding a forging

A local gunsmith here in Austin showed me a Colt slide that had been cut in half from a drug bust, and then Tig welded back together. It was a beautiful job, but you can distinctly see the weld under the gun blue.

My friend has an early production run 10mm Colt auto with a cracked frame.

I've got the same gun -- the original Colt Delta Elite. I bought it new in 1988, which I think was the first year it was released. The problem with the original Delta Elites is that the 45 frame wasn't intended for the full-load 10mm cartridges. Mine recoiled so hard that the slide would crease the catridge as it was being ejected. In other words, it was recoiling so hard that the slide was beating the catridge out the port :mad:

One thing that helped a lot on mine is to use the concentric recoil springs, which really reduces the wear and tear on the frame. If you Google the Delta Elite, there are a bunch of other mods you can do to beef up the frame for the full power 10mm loads.

Your Old Dog
07-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks so far guys. You'd think it would be great product for Brownells to research and offer to the gunsmiths. Weldment for Colts, S&W and all except the Rugers would be welcome Im' sure. If they made it for the Rugers guys would be tempted to weld over the butt ugly instruction manual embossed into the barrel :D My 3 screw Blackhawk in 44 has no such warning and I love it dearly !!

Maybe someone will happen along with a concrete answer.

38_Cal
07-04-2008, 03:52 PM
There's always one of the spray-on/bake-on paints, like GunKote, if the weld shows after bluing. Depending on where the crack is, I would be worried about re-occurance, especially with full 10mm loads...even with the 26 pound recoil spring set. Of course, your buddy could always throw a .40 S&W barrel into the 10mm. May not even have to change magazines, depending on the load configuration.

David
Montezuma, IA

Your Old Dog
07-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks David, I'll mention that option to him.

CCWKen
07-05-2008, 12:30 AM
It's been some time but I think I read there's a way to blue nickel. If the repair is ground and polished, the frame could be nickel plated for an even base then blued. You might look into the chemical process for bluing nickel.

There's enough variants in composition of metals that a welded repair will always take a bluing process differently. Not to mention the undercutting that the weld might do--There could be a line. I don't do guns but I've seen the same problem when trying to blue some tools I built. I could never get the welds to match so I striped the bluing and just polished the metal.

loose nut
07-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Without knowing the exact metallurgy of the frame its hard to say what would work, the frame has some degree of hardening and if you weld it with the wrong rod it might crack again during welding or cooling down. Rods that would work generally are stainless or similar because it is a softer weld and is more crack resistant but it wouldn't "blue" the same way as the base metal of the frame. You should as the manufacturer and see if the will tell you what to do.

Paul Gauthier
07-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Brownells does sell a rod for tig welding that takes blueing well.

Chipslinger
07-07-2008, 08:22 PM
To paint a Delta Elite would be Blasphemy. :)