PDA

View Full Version : Fray Horizontal Attachment Pics?

murph64
07-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I know there are a couple of you with Fray Type 4s out there. Could someone post pics of the horizontal setup? I looked at one this morning, and there was a pile of parts in a cart next to the machine. Hopefully this thing will be "following me home" :D and I just want to make sure I get everything.

Thanks

Andy

miker
07-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Andy, I have a Fray B Type head mounted on a"made in Australia" Bridgeport Base. This is a Vertical only unit. I have been able to date it to around 1939.

Tiptop, a member on this board has a Model 7 which I believe is Vertical only but not sure.

There is a some info on a Horizontal Fray here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/fray/

All of the documents from the Fray company are held by the Smithsonian Museum in Washington.
I was forwarded copies of sales brochures by a very helpful gentleman at the Museum. If you like I will forward you his email details to you privately.

Please post photos when you get the machine.

Mine is still in rebuild but hope to have it running in a couple of months.

Rgds

murph64
07-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Andy, I have a Fray B Type head mounted on a"made in Australia" Bridgeport Base. This is a Vertical only unit. I have been able to date it to around 1939.

Tiptop, a member on this board has a Model 7 which I believe is Vertical only but not sure.

There is a some info on a Horizontal Fray here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/fray/

All of the documents from the Fray company are held by the Smithsonian Museum in Washington.
I was forwarded copies of sales brochures by a very helpful gentleman at the Museum. If you like I will forward you his email details to you privately.

Please post photos when you get the machine.

Mine is still in rebuild but hope to have it running in a couple of months.

Rgds

That would be

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR REAT

:D

Please send them to murph64@gmail.com

Andy

tiptop
07-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Andy, Yes Michael is right. I do have a Fray miller. I am very pleased with it. It is a model 10-R, Type 4-C. It dates from the late 50s or early 60s, I think but am not positive. I am not sure when they went out of business but mine is towards the end of their production I believe because it has all the bells and whistles they offered for that model. My type 4 head has a NMTB 30 taper spindle and I like that more than the #7 B&S or the #3 Morse taper. Don't get me wrong, they all work, but the 30 taper has more bearing contact area and releases easily. Let me know if I can be of any help to get you going on this machine, I would be more than happy. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Also if you run into any spare parts or machines, I am always looking for Fray stuff. Take care, good luck, and keep us posted. Jay

miker
07-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Andy, I just forwarded you two emails. One has attachments and may be a little slow to open initially.
Please let me know if you receive them OK.

Rgds.