PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Rest 2

Quetico Bob
07-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Success!! Spent much time going over everyone’s suggestions and this is what I came up with. Wada ya think? Just finished setting it up and tickety boo! Vibration gone, almost as solid as the rock of jibber jabber. Thank you folks for all the suggestions and great ideas. And a special thanks to Paul C. for helping me understand the engineering end of things over several PM’s. I’m one happy camper.

Shouldn’t be any problem popping the heads off dandelions at 500 yrds now , heck I could almost do that free standing…. Ahem..
Look out Uncle P. your days of high score are but numbered.

Built a matching case for the table and legs as well but its still at the shop, couldn't wait to get it up here to set up.

Cheers Folks, Bob

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/Queticobob/Rest2A.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/Queticobob/Rest2B.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/Queticobob/Rest2C.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/Queticobob/Rest2D.jpg

Chipslinger
07-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Cool, I have seen similar paper targets on lids of range boxes that are laminated for shot placement critique.

Quetico Bob
07-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Yup, soon as I give this a retry, I'll have a nice single hole 5 shot group @ 100to permanently put in place. Have several others, but not from this bench. my own design for the target. Ment for 2-400 on whitetail, long open range (for Canada) where we hunt.
Cheers, Bob

John Stevenson
07-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Seems a shame to shoot holes in that box lid, can't you hang that target on a tree or a deer or something?

quadrod
07-05-2008, 08:10 PM
great job on the rest and the stand. nice lookin shoot'n stick. witch action did you use. viper, kellby or something else. and what caliber?

Quetico Bob
07-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Figured if I set it up at the old airport here at 1000, I could easily install a 24 x .75 bolt patteren. For ventilation of course... no drill press require. ;)

Nothing fancy, just a sako (tikka .338 fed). Actually my stock Rem 308 VS is much more accurate, thats my one hole gun.

Cheers, Bob

quadrod
07-05-2008, 08:48 PM
i have the same rem only now it is 6ppc, want to chamber a shillen barrel in 308 some day.

Alistair Hosie
07-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Bob I confess I kn ow nothing about guns, or gun rests, but I know nice workmanship when I see it .very well done my friend kindest regards Alistair

Quetico Bob
07-05-2008, 08:59 PM
That’s what Uncle shoots, 6mm PPC. I’ll put my 700, 308 with hand load against it any day…. When he’s ready.;) Shilen (one L) are nice, but go Hart.
Cheers, Bob

Quetico Bob
07-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks Scottie. Someday, as soon I can find it. I going to post a picture of my great grand dad. He sitting in front of the light house he used to keep there. Maybe you can tell me where the heck it is.
Cheers, Bob

Dawai
07-06-2008, 08:54 AM
I could easily install a 24 x .75 bolt patteren
Yeah, I offered to Pierce my first wife's ears like that.. she didn't want me to. NOW I'd like to shoot in between. Aww heck she has left me alone since the child support payments ended. Son is at Fort Benning in Basic.

.75 pattern? don't you reload? A Lee crimp will get them starting pressures consistient. My flat top will get right around .5" with factory ammo at 100yds.
I dearly miss the Springfield M1A I had built by Glenn Nelson, now that was a real weapon of choice. I sold it for enough to take a six month vacation thou.

My older brother *(passed away in the 70s) could shoot and hit things offhand with a $7 22 rifle I could not with a $5000 one. I swear I think it was zen.

(OK) after re-reading.. YOU said "bolt pattern".. I guess you are playing "she loves me" , "she loves me not" with them daisys at 100 yards.. I'll go away now.. I used to really enjoy shooting the golf balls at 200 yards with a 220 swift.. much to my neighbors dismay when he'd pick them up to re-drive them.

BobWarfield
07-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Bob, that's a gorgeous rest, very nicely done!

What were the mods you made to eliminate the vibration? Just the cross bracing on the legs?

The matching stool is a nice touch!

Cheers,

BW

quasi
07-06-2008, 05:10 PM
very nice work on everything. What kind of spotting scope is that? How does it perform?

Quetico Bob
07-06-2008, 05:29 PM
(OK) after re-reading.. YOU said "bolt pattern".. I guess you are playing "she loves me" , "she loves me not" with them daisys at 100 yards.. I'll go away now.. I used to really enjoy shooting the golf balls at 200 yards with a 220 swift.. much to my neighbors dismay when he'd pick them up to re-drive them.

Bet it was a little more than dismay with a few colorful words to match.

My older brother *(passed away in the 70s) could shoot and hit things offhand with a $7 22 rifle I could not with a $5000 one. I swear I think it was zen.

My dad is like that, think he could put anybody to shame with his older than old Win 22 pump, yes, it is zen. Remember him picking off the twigs of his choice when I was a young boy. Maybe I come by it hereditarily, the other side of the family, well that’s another story… not that there’s any competition or anything.;)

Thanks, Bob.
Yes, using solid round bar for the legs ended up causing a harmonic vibration due to the rigidity. Should have used hollow bar but I wanted it to be heavy and stable. The things you learn through your mistakes.

Cheers, Bob