PDA

View Full Version : OT anyone familiar with chrysler outboards?

kendall
07-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Picked up a 22ft sailboat that came with a chrysler 10 horse outboard. The outboard runs well, but the pivot pin is stiff enough that it takes two hands to turn the motor, afraid to try it with the tiller alone. It came with an owners manual, and a Haynes repair manual, but the Haynes only covers the powerhead. And I don't see how to take the pivot assembly off to repair/clean/lube.
Anyone familiar with them able to direct me to photos or even a parts list/blowup view?

searched but haven't turned up anything, if it follows normal trends, I'll do another search and find one now that I've posted!

Been into boating for a long while, and aquainted with outboards, But unlike the Evinrude/johnsons and other outboards that I'm used to, the intermediate section on the Chrysler is one piece so I can't get it all out in the open to work on it.

Thanks
Ken.

aboard_epsilon
07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
there is a yahoo group for chrysler .

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thechryslercrew/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

ive got a 10 horse ...sailor model 1970-80s

there should be grease nipples zerks all covering every pivot point

lube with the bright green underwater grease.

all the best.mark

kendall
07-07-2008, 01:38 PM
That's the same model as mine, sailor 10 horse, 1973 model. Manual doesn't show actual locations of lube points, just an outline drawing of the outboard with a line to the general area, I can only find one on the swivel bracket. Everything else works fine and turns freely.

Surprised me to discover that this one (maybe all chryslers?) has a charging circuit for the battery!

I'll sign up for the chrysler site right away, thanks for the link!

Ken.