PDA

View Full Version : OT: "Vernier" -- pronunciation??

Bill Pace
07-07-2008, 01:09 PM
You say po-tay-toe, I say po-tah-to......

B H Jones question about vernier scales prompts me to ask this -- "who give a rats a**? -- question...

ver-ni-er or ver-near (similar to the wood veneer) --- When I was in the Air Force many (many!) years ago I was taught the ver-ni-er way, but in this area, and many others, its the ver-near way. Since theres a nice broad range of the world represented here, how do you pronounce the word.

Kinda like the generic words for soft drinks --- in this area its "coke", just west, I've got friends that use "pop", then theres "soda", etc, etc....

Fasttrack
07-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Interesting question ... I always assumed it was ver-near everywhere. Thats all I've heard in the midwest.

oldtiffie
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
"Ver-knee-ya" so far as I've heard in OZ.

Weston Bye
07-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I've always heart Ver-near too, but I live in a town named Grand Blanc, and everyone pronounces it "Grandblank". Lost our regard for the French long ago.

SGW
07-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I've always pronounced it vern - e - er, sort of.

But Pierre Vernier would have said it something line vern -yay, I suppose.

Mcgyver
07-07-2008, 01:44 PM
the old boy who taught me so much pronounced it Very Near, usually just before telling me to smarten up and to use a micrometer :D

kendall
07-07-2008, 01:53 PM
same as SGW, three sylables, but then my spoken 'language' is a mongrel mix of pretty much everything, routinely get questioned about a few terms and pronunciations that I grew up with, gotta teach these guys around here how to talk right one of these days.

Ken.

dp
07-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Pronunciations are regional. Things become very interesting where translations from one tongue to another take place. We have a town here, Issaquah, that is clearly a native language name. It is spelled as I've spelled it. When the French came to north America they produced this: Iroquois, which is often pronounced eer-a-coy, but in the French is ir-o-kwa and is probably closer to how the natives said it at the time, and very close to the way Issaquah is said here.

Remember when Bejing was pronounced Peking?

Peter N
07-07-2008, 02:11 PM
We always use the 3 syllable ver-knee-er pronunciation over here in the UK, but any QA man always refers to them in the same vein that McGyver mentioned.

Incidentally, Merriam Webster the American dictionary company has an online pronunciation here (http://visual.merriam-webster.com/pronunciation.php?id=science/measuring-devices/measure-thickness/00353&title=vernier+scale) that uses the 3 syllables too.

Peter

Errol Groff
07-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Put me down for the correct ver-ni-er pronunciation.

What peeves me, however you pronounce it, is those who use vernier and dial caliper interchangeably. If it has a vernier it is a vernier caliper, if it has a dial it is a dial caliper and if it has a digital display it is a digital caliper.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Errol Groff

Yankee1
07-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I was taught three syllables. Ver-ni-er.
Chuck

Orrin
07-07-2008, 02:18 PM
years ago I was taught the ver-ni-er way, but in this area, and many others, its the ver-near way.
I hope I don't step on any toes with this post; but, it is my observation that some people, especially crusty and unfriendly old-timers, are lazy talkers or they don't like talking at all. They reluctantly communicate in monosyllabic grunts and only on rare occasions will they wax eloquent and use so much as a two syllable word. Three syllables? Forget it.

So, that grouchy old journeyman who taught the apprentices was really digging deep into his vocabulary when he said "ver-near." :)

I live in Wawawai Canyon. It is properly spoken as "waa WAA wee" and that is the way all us residents pronounce it; however, many are the times when I've met old-timers--some of whom live only a few miles away--and one of the first things they want to know is where we live.

I'll tell them "Wawawai." They'll give me a puzzled look and say, Where?!" I repeat, "Wawawai." After repeating this exchange a half-dozen times and we still are not getting anywhere I finally describe the place and name a few of the residents of yore.

It finally dawns on them and their face lights up in understanding, whereupon they'll say, "Oh, you mean Wah-wye!" Then, they'll scowl because that young whipper-snapper doesn't even know how to pronouce the name of the very place where he lives. :)

My step-dad was the same way. Because he was a farmer and weather means everything to farmers, I once gave him a maximum/minimum recording thermometer. He lived another thirty years after that and until the day he died he was utterly incapable of calling it a maximum-minimum thermometer. He would trip over his tongue every time.

So, if you were taught "ver-near," now you know why. :)

Oh, BTW, one of my old-time acquaintances who said we lived at Wah-wye just happened to be a machinist. He always used "ver-nears"--had never heard of such a thing as a vernier. :)

Orrin

QSIMDO
07-07-2008, 02:45 PM
My last name is French and ends in "ier" and as SGW surmised is pronounced "yay" or "eyay".

However, the original Etruscan pronunciation sounds remarkably like "Gimmeedacaliper".

Eeeeyeah.......;)

kc5ezc
07-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Issaquah; haven't heard that name in many years. Since we left Cashmere in 1944. Lots of native american names down here in Oklahoma also.
John Burchett
in Byng OK

wlpier
07-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Itís VER-nee-air. Usually the guys/gals who call it a ver-near donít know how to read it either, that's why they invented the dial caliper, easier to say, easier to use.

Now would one of you nice fellows pass me the mickey-crom-meter so I can measure the thickness of this wood vernier?;)

Richard-TX
07-07-2008, 04:04 PM
If you want to pronounce it in French the general rule is do not pronounce the last consanant but there are exceptions.

French would be Vern-ya with a short e

American would be vern-near

The there are French names like Henri which is pronounced "ahn-ree"

French is a very interesting language and well worth learning.

radish1us
07-07-2008, 04:18 PM
"Ver-knee-ya" so far as I've heard in OZ.

NOPE, true name for them thingies-----------SWARF HOOKS

lazlo
07-07-2008, 04:19 PM
I've always pronounced it vern - e - er, sort of.

Ditto. But then, I pronounce Gib wrong so... ;)

Edit: well, at least I got vernier right :)

Main Entry:
ver∑ni∑er
Pronunciation:
\ˈvər-nē-ər\
Click here to hear it (http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?vernie01.wav=vernier)

Bill Pace
07-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, I have to say I'm a bit surprised!, --- at the response to the question, and to the other variations on the pronunciation:) Very interesting!

I really thought my pronunciation of it as "ver-ni-er" would be much less used, but that version seems to be more in use (or more close to it than ver-near) than I would ever have imagined. I knew it was a French name and suspected that was more close to their use, but would hesitate to use it as the "ver-near" version is exclusively used around these parts.

Think I'll go get a "coke" now--------

lazlo
07-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Well, I have to say I'm a bit surprised!, --- at the response to the question, and to the other variations on the pronunciation:)

That's Webster's definition of vernier, so I think their pronunciation is probably right ;)

Here's another audio pronunciation from Answers.com, in a much deeper voice ;)

Vernier (http://content.answers.com/main/content/ahd4/pron/V0067300.wav)

I knew it was a French name

The vernier scale was invented by the French mathematician -- Pierre Vernier in the 16th century.

retusaf99
07-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Here's another audio pronunciation from Answers.com, in a much deeper voice ;)

Vernier (http://content.answers.com/main/content/ahd4/pron/V0067300.wav)
I better not let the wife hear that, or I'll be on the street.

Doug

doctor demo
07-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I always thought it was just a small fancy bar clamp with numbers on it, kinda matches up with some of my smallish "C" clamps:D .
Ver near
Coke
Pepsi
Wash not Worsch
garage not gaoroge
blade not motorgrader
paddle wheel,can or scraper not earth mover
I was taught oriental, my wife says asain is proper
bfh or lfh not beater
beater, is the part time kid's car

Steve

mlucek
07-17-2008, 09:35 PM
My shop teacher told me that vernier was pronounced :

very near

..... :D

mochinist
07-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Was taught "very near" like some of the above :) Pronounce it ver-near, sat here trying to say it like the audio link lazlo posted but it just doesnt want to come out right.

We have a small city in central az called Prescott, most of you have probably heard of it or heard the name in western movies. Anyways anyone from AZ pronounces it Press-kit, and the midwesterners and east coasters that move here say Press-cott. Pretty funny there is usually one or two letters a year in the letter to the editor section of the paper where someone is trying to figure out the correct way.

Paul Alciatore
07-19-2008, 03:55 AM
Reminds me about the name of my home town. "Nawlins". Two words pronounced by the locals with one syllable.

You know, the place where the hurricane flooded the whole town.

Spin Doctor
07-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Its kind of like Harding vs Har-dinge

brian Rupnow
07-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Everybody I know in my corner of Canada (Ontario) pronounces it vernyer.

lazlo
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Everybody I know in my corner of Canada (Ontario) pronounces it vernyer.

Yeah, but you guys have a lot of funny pronunciations up there - "This thread is aboot my vernyer - eh?" :D

brian Rupnow
07-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Yeah, but you guys have a lot of funny pronunciations up there - "This thread is aboot my vernyer - eh?" :D
Hey!!! We say it the right way up here. We all know that everybody from texas talks like John Wayne!!!

Swarf&Sparks
07-20-2008, 09:57 AM
pronunciation, does it matter?

do you understand the Vernier principle?