PDA

View Full Version : OT: getting Yahoo out of my computer

jim davies
07-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Anyone know how to stop Yahoo badgering me to set a cookie 3 times for every download from a group? Or even worse, it will operate the modem if not on line. Just started, and only on one computer using MS Outlook Express...

J Tiers
07-08-2008, 12:23 AM
No clue, sorry. Not even sure what you have going on, actually.

But while we have the gurus looking......... a minor hijack (to avoid too many OT posts)

I have a "creative products" program (its MP3 player software) that wants to register so badly that when I say "later", it pops right back up and won't go away.....

I can't delete the program or I will be very un-popular....... and I can't register it because it wants the player, which isn't mine and is elsewhere right now.....

Is there any way to satisfy this 'virus" without actually plugging in the player for registration?

lazlo
07-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Anyone know how to stop Yahoo badgering me to set a cookie 3 times for every download from a group?

When you download files from a Yahoo group, Yahoo has to have an active login session. It sounds like you have cookies completely blocked, so Yahoo will prompt you every step of the way for the download.

Configure IE for a session cookie for Yahoo, instead of declining Yahoo cookies entirely.

Is there any way to satisfy this 'virus" without actually plugging in the player for registration?

No, unless you download a hack. That's why it's called "Nagware" ;)

oldtiffie
07-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Getting some of these yahoos (at 1, 2 4 and 6) off their computers would help too.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yahoo

kendall
07-08-2008, 02:00 AM
No clue, sorry. Not even sure what you have going on, actually.

But while we have the gurus looking......... a minor hijack (to avoid too many OT posts)

I have a "creative products" program (its MP3 player software) that wants to register so badly that when I say "later", it pops right back up and won't go away.....

I can't delete the program or I will be very un-popular....... and I can't register it because it wants the player, which isn't mine and is elsewhere right now.....

Get start-up control panel (mine's version 2.3) and DE-select the creative program that will stop it from running at boot. when you want to run it again re-select it.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

It's a handy program when you want to tweak the system to run something that doesn't run well with other progs

Creative is REAL good at piling on the registration programs, what I used to do (before I got so I didn't care what I played with in the registry) is download a copy of bloodshed c++ and create an 'empty' program with the correct name, then write up a bat file to copy them back and forth in case I needed it for some reason.

Also, you can three finger it when the registration prog pops up and check what's running then disable it in services. (easier in the startup panel)

EDIT: the startup control panel is in the control panel under 'startup' with a computer icon.

ken.

Swarf&Sparks
07-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Sorry, can't help with yahoo,

but JT, can whatever is giving you grief and try

http://www.sheepfriends.com/?page=billy

Been using Billy for 3-4 years now with no probs.
No nags no "upgrades"
No bling, just runs music in the background.

aboard_epsilon
07-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Press.... start

Then.... run

Type in... msconfig

Then disable the problem progs in services and start-up

all the best.markj

J Tiers
07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Simpler method....... get the laggard user to register the prog as it demanded....... problem fixed.

Now to block the soon-to-come flood of spam, no doubt....:rolleyes:

For some reason "start-up cop" wasn't useful....... I don't like the MS startup control. I suspect that the nag function was hiding under a name that wasn't obvious. I didn't try every arcane name..... MSXP starts a lot of stuff with odd names.

lazlo
07-08-2008, 11:18 PM
For some reason "start-up cop" wasn't useful.....

Start-up Control Panel and it's ilk won't help you with Nagware -- when you run the program manually, it's going to nag you to register anyway.

I think Kendall thought you meant the Creative Soundcard registration software, which has a registration daemon that it installs. You can use Start-Up CP to stop that, but note that it doesn't work on truly nefarious software like Acrobat Reader, which will keep re-installing the registration software if it's detected that you've disabled it.

jim davies
07-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Must be a record...thread highjacked on the first response.

JRouche
07-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Funny for me but the two references to Hijack made me think you were leading him to a simple program called HiJack This.. It is like a task manager on steroids.

Really simple to use. Just install it, run it and look for the Yahoo entries. Check them and hit fix. Done.. And for you J Tiers, just look for the connection with the "creative products" player (only if you dont want the player anymore of course) and do the same. It cooks them. I have had some tenacious trojans that I couldnt remove and HJT stopped them cold.. Oh, its free too.. Its a common tool in the industry for malicious programs.. JR

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html?hhTest

J Tiers
07-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Must be a record...thread highjacked on the first response.

Nope, not uncommon right here. Seen it before, almost always on that same type post.

Of course

a) I admitted to it.

b) the problem was similar, suggesting similar solutions might apply.

So......... "whatever", dude.