PDA

View Full Version : Reamers and Truing and Morse Tapers Oh My

Teenage_Machinist
07-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I am planning to make a MT2 slitting saw arbor for my mill. I have the 8 by 12 lathe, and am not too confident about how true my tailstock is. What do you think about cutting the taper myself (with no grinder!)?

CCWKen
07-08-2008, 02:06 AM
It can be done but to save time, I keep a drawer full of cheap MT to JT adapters for just such purposes. The latest mod was to an MT3-JT4 for a headstock spring loaded center. It clears the inside my 4-jaw and speeds setup time on some irregular shaped objects I've been working on.

On another, I drilled the JT end, tapped for a bolt then turned a step for some saw blades I had. For slitters and cutters, you may have to add a sleeve to get the ID. Just turn the JT down straight and press-on a sleeve to match the ID.

There's all sorts of tools you can make out of the "adapters". I bought a bunch when Enco had them on sale last year. At around $3 and free shipping, I couldn't make them for that. Mine are all MT3 or I'd send ya one.

Forgot to mention:
The only hard part of the adapters is the tang so you should be able to turn/drill the other parts as needed. For my center, I cut the tang off since I had to drill it through to relieve pressure from the plunge center.

Teenage_Machinist
07-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Possibly anneal the tang? WHY ARENT THEY HARD?

Teenage_Machinist
07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Actually, I am going to make a straight shank. Cutters are pretty small, and reduced shanks have some precedent.

tattoomike68
07-20-2008, 09:30 PM
I am planning to make a MT2 slitting saw arbor for my mill. I have the 8 by 12 lathe, and am not too confident about how true my tailstock is. What do you think about cutting the taper myself (with no grinder!)?

peice of cake, is it done yet?

J Tiers
07-20-2008, 10:46 PM
You don't need a grinder so long as you can blue it up and there are single-cut files in the world............

Go for it. Tapers are fairly easily cut via the compound, especially if you have a model taper in the lathe, such as the T/S for 2MT on many smaller lathes.