View Full Version : DRO on quill

07-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I purchased a BP clone with a three axis Acurite DRO. The third scale is on the quill. I am getting into the habit of using the knee to get the work close, and then using the fine feed on the quill for my cuts. Is this a bad habit? Someone said I should put a scale on the knee and use it, but the quill seems to work fine. I bring the knee up very close so my quill is not extened too far, but I just wanted your opionions. It seems to work fine, but I don't want to develope a bad habit. Thank you. Respects, Verne

07-09-2008, 01:44 PM
get both and a scale summing box!

-- really, the only bad habbits are the ones you don't want to have. if you like it, who's arguing and why do you care?

I like it on the quill. many if not most people do.

Lew Hartswick
07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
I havent any experience with a DRO on the Z axis so I have always used the knee for
fine adjustment in the Z axis. How do you get a fine feed on the quill? On the Bridgeports
I've usd the quill would be VERY difficult to feed a thou or so, while the knee is very

07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Use the fine feed on the head (The handwheel that is most often missing.)

Bill Pace
07-09-2008, 05:52 PM
My BP clone came with 2 axis DRO and I added one of the caliper types to the quill, its real handy for drilling with the quill handle, but that about all I use it for.

On moving up from a mill-drill and getting a knee type mill, my friend and mentor said "when you get used to using the knee, you'll almost forget the quill has a handle" and I thought he was crazy! No more! The knee will give MUCH more finite movements than you could ever get with trying to feed the quill.

I think I'd like a DRO on the knee someday though......

07-09-2008, 11:01 PM
get both and a scale summing box!

Where can you get a quadrature summing box? US Digital used to sell the EAdder box, but they recently discontinued it, and I can't find anyone else who sells one?

07-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I have a Z scale on both and a serial A-B Chanel switch box.
A for Knee B for Quill.

07-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Paul, your switch box takes DIN connectors, right? If so, that's probably a quadrature switch -- did you build it yourself?