PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out gummed up 2 stroke carburetors?

Dawai
07-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Anybody got a fix for the white crap that gums up jets and internals in a 2 stroke carb?

I tried acetone, no fix. Don't have a ultrasonic cleaner anymore.

Rusty Marlin
07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
DYKEM solvent, for removing layout blue.

Pour in the carb, swish around for a minute and pour back out; stuff works like magic.

torchroadster
07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Brake cleaner, non-chlorinated.

Wear rubber gloves and do it outside.

Metalmelter
07-10-2008, 12:11 PM
If it were me, I'd try MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) sold in Lowes or elsewhere. A gallon goes a long way. WEAR nitrile gloves and don't breath the fumes. But FWIW, MEK was the main component of Gumout carb cleaner years ago before they changed the formulation. It worked very well but is one nasty chemical to get into your system so do the right thing :rolleyes:

Ausserdog
07-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I've had very good luck using denatured alcohol for cleaning out fuel tanks with *very* old gas in it. It takes a while but it will strip out all of the old varnish that has accumulated. It hasn't effected the plastic floats in the carbs either, other than to clean them. Can't say what it will do to the carb diaphrams though.

Chipslinger
07-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Av. Gas, That's Aviation Fuel to the Vertically Challenged. :)

GKman
07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Wait-A-Minute, Harleys aint 2-strokes. Waddaya workin' on a Wizzer?

Chipslinger
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I dont thik wizzers were either.

Edit to Add, Some Harleys were in the 70'S.

Peter N
07-10-2008, 02:51 PM
David, brake cleaner is very good for cleaning out the muck and corrosion.
However, remove any rubber seals, diaphragms and plastic parts before you use it, as the brake cleaner will kill these.

Peter

Dawai
07-10-2008, 03:47 PM
GKman: now, ya gotta know all my life, thou I love them is not motorcycles.

Currently all harleys are running here. I do have a dead ninja 1000, and a malfunctioning weedeater. I've been gave a old Armuchie? harley.. It has a lot more wrong than the carburetor thou.

torker
07-10-2008, 04:02 PM
David.. Is that one of those lil' dirtbikes that Harley sold in the 70's?
I have one of those in my wreckin yard. A 125 I think..

Dawai
07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Russ, I don't even know the size of this one, it is a nice red brown rust patina. Not much left there.

It's a old 70s 2 stroke.. now them OLD harleys (hummer?) now they were something to own. the Italian ones don't do much for me, more yard art.

It might be a nice one to put into the derust tank complete.

kendall
07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Being into old bikes, I run into that a LOT.
Best thing I've found is to pick up a jug of castrol super clean, then dissasemble the carbs and put the like materials into plastic bowls, (aluminum with aluminum brass with brass etc) fill the bowl with hot water and add super clean at about a 1:3 ratio to the water (stronger/weaker as desired) let them soak for a short while stir once in a while and they'll come out looking like new. rinse them well with more hot water then spray with WD-40 or similar to coat and drive out residual moisture.

occasionally the stuff will start to bubble on it's own, my experience has shown no problems from it, sometimes it's because you have a bit of 'odd' metal in the bowl.

Managed to rescesitate a set of carbs that experts were telling me to trash and scour Ebay for replacements. They're on the bike and running with no problems now, but did take three treatments.

It will discolor aluminum if it's allowed to dry on the bodies.

Ken.

Quetico Bob
07-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Just did one on a brush saw. Lacquer thinner, a tub that with hold enough to submerge and shake, 100 psi of air. Repeat till clean. Of course disassemble first.
Cheers, Bob

wierdscience
07-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Citristrip paint stripper,ain't worth a damn for strpping paint,but it will liquifiy varnish in carbs.

DICKEYBIRD
07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I've been gave a old Armuchie? harley.. It has a lot more wrong than the carburetor thou.It's Aermacchi. Here's a link with some info. http://www.motomacchi.com/

It's been at least 35 years since since that word has come up in my little part of the world but for some odd reason, the correct spelling popped right out of the depths of my mind.:)

jcarter
07-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I have a two gallon can of Kleen-Flo Commercial Carburetor and Parts Cleaner. It comes with a wire basket to submerge parts in. Carburetors come out looking like new.I go through two or three of these cans per year.I've used Castrol Super Clean but you must be careful how long you leave parts in it- it is acidic enough to start to dissolve some metals.It will leave carb castings dark too.

ProGunOne
07-10-2008, 11:22 PM
It's been many years but Hydroseal was what we used. Had a hot tank with an air agitater. Used the same to clean transmission cases as well.

http://www.gunk.com/degreasers.asp