PDA

View Full Version : what a name to have!!!!!

Alistair Hosie
07-10-2008, 03:18 PM
http://www.tischlerei-****e.de/

tattoomike68
07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
The word filter killed the link.

In school there was an Asian kid named Diki Chew, poor kid..

Alistair Hosie
07-10-2008, 04:21 PM
so anyway it's eff yoo see kay eee what a name

Dawai
07-10-2008, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RQoOJ7ia0k

juergenwt
07-10-2008, 09:41 PM
How about that scotty:http://www.tischlerei-hanke.de/
A cabinetmakers shop in Dortmund, Germany

Tischlerei is German for Cabinetmaker-shop. Hanke is the name of the shop.

torker
07-10-2008, 11:25 PM
One of the dumbest has to be the former head of the UN.
(sp)?? Butrous Butrous Galli
OK... picture this... Proud Mom and Dad... lookin down on new born kid.. thinkin..."lets name him something cool"
Think for 2.5 seconds... (hubby).."Yay!! Lets call the cute lil' feller "Butrous"
(wifey).. OMG Butthole.. you are sooo clever... oh oh.. lets call him that TWICE!!!!

oldtiffie
07-10-2008, 11:41 PM

Thanks juergenwt - sort of.

(First of all - my thanks for your recent response at the end of the recent ISO Standards/Tolerance thread).

Now I'm even more confused after this post of yours!!.

When I was am apprentice in the mid-50's we had quite a few Dutch and German immigrants as tradesmen - very very good mostly.

They preferred to work in metric and all their tools and literature were Dutch/German and to metric (DIN?) standards. This caused some confusion as OZ was then very pro-"Brit" and neither liked nor used metric. We didn't even know it existed until they came to work with us!!!.

Sounds very familiar doesn't it?

But here's the "kicker":

Just about every German seemed to be named "Hans" or "Fritz" - which was fair enough - but just about every Dutchman seemed to be called "Hank" or "Henk", which from your quote/post seems to be more German.

torker
07-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Tiffie.. that's friggin hilarious!!! I know two dutchmen.. both are named Hank!

RetiredFAE
07-11-2008, 12:57 AM
I used to work with a fellow who came here after the fall of Saigon. He was a General in the Army of the Republic of South Viet Nam prior to that. In English his first name would be Arthur. In Viet, it was Twat. He took quite a ribbing here and didn't know why until someone explained it to him. Then he found it hilarious himself.
General Tran introduced a couple of us at a business gathering to a Russian fellow he had known for some time, who's first name was Piotor (Peter, I believe) and his last name was Jakov.
And in my high school yearbook there is a picture of a guy who had to put up with a lot of verbal abuse, his name? Jack Meoffe. The final 'e' was silent. What the heck were his parents thinking? Same for a girl in my class, April May June (some folks called her Spring Time, others called her Hay Fever)
I knew a bit about what they went through, as my last name is Bird.
A name is what you make of it, Pop used to say.

juergenwt
07-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Oldtiffie - If you clk on the Url. you will find a website advertising the services of a cabinet makers business. Most likely the owners name or the founders name would be "Hanke" pronounced "Hunkay".
As for "Hans" or "Fritz" - Hans, a name in its own rights - is used quite often as short form for "Johann" which comes from the biblical name "Johannes" (John). Similar to the use of Bob or Dick in the English speaking world.
Fritz - a short form for "Friedrich" (Frederic).
These used to be very common names in Germany. As for Dutchmen being called Hank or Henk - I would not know.

I can understand how difficult it would be for a person growing up with inches, gallons and pounds to adopt to metrics.
The next generation - providing the school system has changed to teach nothing but metrics - will ask the old timers how they could ever have worked with a system as complicated as the imperial system.
Just like the people in the UK now find it hard to believe they ever used a non metric system for their money.
Here in the US people always say :"We know our system and we can not understand the metric system". Mind you - I am talking about everyday use - not what is being used on the job. But if you ask a question about imperial units - or I should say the "US Customary System" which differs from the imperial system - you find the knowledge to be very shallow.
Yet everybody knows the money system which is metric. I wish you all the best in your effort to change the country to metric.

mayfieldtm
07-11-2008, 05:51 PM
My best friend in grade school has the last name of 'Boner'.

Tom M.

G.A. Ewen
07-12-2008, 01:01 PM
When I worked in the west (Sask & Alberta) one of the guys on the drill crew had been given the name "Harry" buy his folks,,,,,,, Not a problem unless your last name is "Dyck" (pronounced Dick)

Alistair Hosie
07-12-2008, 02:09 PM
I lived and worked in Germany for five years love those guys the germans are beautiful people.Alistair p s don't get me wrong I met a few a$$ holes or arschlocks.:D

macona
07-13-2008, 04:50 AM
There was a James Bond in my school.

Then there is the Dick Hyman Band...

Evan
07-13-2008, 07:10 AM
What the heck were his parents thinking?

That brings to mind Frank Zappa and his first two children, Moon Unit and Dweezil Zappa.

Timo
07-13-2008, 08:19 AM
My best friend in grade school has the last name of 'Boner'.
Tom M.

Speaking of school;

Dictionary definition of --- boner; 1. One who bones, as in meat cutter. 2. Blunder.
We had a 6th grade female English teacher explaining the different meanings of the same word. As an example she said that a statement just made by a classmate could be called a boner. For what ever reason she went on further to say that she’d had seen a lot of boners pulled in this classroom. She ended by saying that she herself had pulled her fair share of boners too.

Peter N
07-13-2008, 08:21 AM
When I was out in Nigeria, S h i t t u was a very common surname amongst the locals.

Peter