PDA

View Full Version : what to put in the blank badge area on enco mill

ironhoarder
07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Ok- this is really silly- but I jut bought an old Enco Bridgeport clone. The former owners, apparently ashamed of having an enco machine in their shop, removed the enco badge from the head of the machine:

http://barncattech.com/machines/encomill/head_tag.jpg

I'd like to find the original Enco tag that goes there. But assuming I cannot, what should I put there?

* a nifty mirror-polished piece of aluminum to serve as a fun house mirror
* a metric/english/fractions chart, or tap drill chart
* a place to write notes with a grease pencil or eraseable marker
* ??

Any ideas of something that would actually be useful, and/or look good?
I may try to contact enco about the badge. Howver, this model is from 1980- they may have changed how the badges mount on the newer machines.

I know this is a pretty trivial thing, but it just bugs me to look at it.

jkilroy
07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
A reclined nude would be my vote.

MickeyD
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
My vote is for something useful like a laminated tap drill chart.

thistle
07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
a good set of teeth?

NickH
07-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Use a VFD to run the motor & put a guide chart for output speeds for 5Hz 10 Hz 50 Hz and 100Hz for each speed,
Nick

John Stevenson
07-11-2008, 03:55 PM
A pair of eyeballs ?

That's what it looked like it was missing to me

bruto
07-11-2008, 09:12 PM
A pair of eyeballs ?

.I thought the same thing but you beat me to it.

kendall
07-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I'd have to put in a nice engine turned aluminum plate with some oddball name on it.

Just to mess with the next owners head.....
I can already see the posts, "anyone know where I can find replacement parts for a john deere vertical mill?"

Ken.

miker
07-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Biax Third Moon Flaking! Just don't push too hard.
Then you can sell it on Ebay if you have to.

Rgds

38_Cal
07-12-2008, 01:41 AM
I'd have to put in a nice engine turned aluminum plate with some oddball name on it.

Just to mess with the next owners head.....
I can already see the posts, "anyone know where I can find replacement parts for a john deere vertical mill?"

Ken.

You'd have to paint the mill green & yellow if you did that...:D

David
Montezuma, IA

Fasttrack
07-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Now that would be one sharp lookin' mill :D

I'd like to vote either for a tap/drill chart or something to write notes with a grease marker on. The area around my little smithy is sheet metal and I regularly write myself notes/sketches/dimensions etc with sharpie. Since its sort of oily anyway, the sharpie normally wipes up but if it doesn't, I spray it with some break clean or kerosene and wipe away.

Grease pencil and a smooth surface to write on might be pretty handy...

Forrest Addy
07-12-2008, 03:26 AM
A message written in Klingon "Miserable Earthman. I will eat your brain!"

oldtiffie
07-12-2008, 04:35 AM

Rgds

Miker.

You ARE a bl**dy "stirrer" aren't you? And you read the posts too!!

Well done - I loved it!!!

That post is not only a case of putting the knife in and twisting it but will be like kicking a hornets nest full of "scraping" aficionados. They'll be after you after they get over their apoplectic fits!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apoplexia

Chipslinger
07-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Whiteboard for notes.

A.K. Boomer
07-12-2008, 10:56 AM
To me there is only one real choice with the shape of the blank out and the surrounding environment that the rest of the machine looks to be in (well used)

A series of Cumbe Mayo petroglyph's --- preferably at least three starting with the first one showing how to turn the machine on, the second in actual running of the machine and the third of the subject getting hit in the forehead by a piece of material - loading his pants and then getting taken away to the local hospital.

lazlo
07-12-2008, 11:44 AM
My vote is for something useful like a laminated tap drill chart.

Or a speeds and feeds chart.

lazlo
07-12-2008, 12:28 PM

Hey, if you want to buy a 50 year-old Bridgeport with factory-fresh flaking on the knee, by all means please let us know how it works out! :p

miker
07-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Ok, Two little taps Marked Coffee and Cream with a Gloria Jean's label. One big mother of a coffee maker. :)

Rgds

oldtiffie
07-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Great stuff Michael.

When I was in the Navy (RAN) I had a sailor working for me that had several tattoos - some which needed covering up in "polite company" - others not.

We used to wear just shorts and sandals in the tropics.

On his chest he had two tattoos. Above his right breast was "Sweet" and above his left was "Sour".

But the "kicker" was on his feet (sorry - intended pun) to catch them who were embarrassed and looked down at his feet.

On his right foot (lettered to face the reader) was "My Foot" and on his left foot was "My other foot".

He was not a bad Machinist and Fitter either.

Perhaps the said mill head could have had the "blank" (where the label was?) made into a door with a cosmetics cabinet and mirror installed as some might finf it quite useful.

oldtiffie
07-12-2008, 11:44 PM

Hey, if you want to buy a 50 year-old Bridgeport with factory-fresh flaking on the knee, by all means please let us know how it works out! :p

Too easy!!

Most scraping I've seem machinists doing is scratching their ar*es which are probably in need of a careening.

I live about 5Km from the sea here and there are several hard beaches.

I'd just take that mill on a trailer, float it, moor it over a hard beach at high tide, prop it up with sticks and scrape the weed and barnacles off as the tide went down, repair and re-caulk as the tide was out and re-paint it with copper-base anti-fouling paint as the tide came in. Repeat on other side at next tide and then either take home or better yet put the boat back on its moorings so that the tide can get rid of the oil, grease paint-thinners and empty copper paint tins - all too easy!!!

Its called "careening".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Careening
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=careening&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Works great for scraping a boat - can't see why you couldn't get a good patterned scraped finish on the mill or machine the same way.

Salt and saline solutions have been used as preservatives since the year dot.

Is that how you are going to scrape and preserve your mill Michael?

I would.

I'd probably careen myself as well - but I'm not so sure of the re-caulking and anti-fouling paint though!! Perhaps if there were more than one we'd careen each other?

No surprises there - is there??

ironhoarder
07-13-2008, 01:01 AM
The comment about a John Deere mill is rather appropriate- I have 3 of 'em. Here is the mill still on my trailer with my 1950 A in the background:

http://barncattech.com/machines/encomill/ontrailer1.jpg

Dawai
07-13-2008, 11:16 AM
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9715&stc=1&d=1208479874

Badge DONE by the Copperetta for a joke for a friend.. SHE is doing some signage for a company right now. The girl has some talent.. or perhaps one of her flower stands?
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3867/medium/MVC-372F.JPG

GKman
07-13-2008, 07:04 PM
I know your pain. Little toolbox came with two rivit holes where tag should have been. Had been listening to John Prine and stole his record lable.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gkman/P7130061.jpg

Or if you really have class...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gkman/P7130060.jpg

murph64
07-13-2008, 10:38 PM
A pair of eyeballs ?

I thought the same thing but you beat me to it.

Not just any eyes, but

http://www.stickerart.com.au/images/products/0601-0305.gif

:D

Andy

JRouche
07-13-2008, 10:55 PM
BRIDGEPORT

LOL Just kidding but if you had yer other CNC machine make that tag it would throw alot of folks for a loop. :)

I like the white board idea (kinda too plain though) or the feeds and speeds chart..

Dunno? Anything could fit.. I guess I really DO like the Bridgeport tag there. Lemme plasma cut mine off for you :) Glue it on... JR

ironhoarder
07-14-2008, 01:27 AM
a faux Bridgeport tag would look cool, but I'd feel dirty every time I look at it.

The best thing would be one of those knock offs of a brand name where the use the same font and slightly alter the name- like Bridgepoot, or Badgeport. I know- "Bigfoot" in the bridgeport logo.

My VFD lets you hook up remote start/stop buttons, speed knob and digital display- that would be preetty cool to have right on the milling head there.

I hope I'm not burning too much bandwidth with trivial concerns...

oldtiffie
07-14-2008, 05:53 AM
As its a John Deere mill and some have suggested lettering, why not a "Dear John" letter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_John_letter

Chipslinger
07-14-2008, 07:22 AM
How about the word Bridgeport in Chinese.

Ian B
07-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Chipslinger,

You mean "Blidgeport"?

Ian

38_Cal
07-14-2008, 10:45 AM
This is generating so many good suggestions that I'm almost tempted to take the name plate off of my Enco and make up a "Blidgeport" or similar plate!

David
Montezuma, IA

ironhoarder
07-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Oooh- I think a "Blidgeport" tag has got to be the winner. I'd copy the Bridgeport logo and replace the r with an l. That would be tooo funny. Folks visiting the shop would do a double take!

That being said, if you remove your enco tag 38cal, send it to me!

BadDog
07-15-2008, 03:55 AM
Better yet, "Bilgeport"

Davek0974
07-15-2008, 06:34 AM
The best thing would be one of those knock offs of a brand name where the use the same font and slightly alter the name- like Bridgepoot, or Badgeport. I know- "Bigfoot" in the bridgeport logo.

Absolutely hilarious :D

Got to be one of these.

Salesman speaking to Homer Simpson in the TV shop... "Its a genuine Panaphonics Sir, or howsabout a Sorny?"

Brilliant, I like the 'Bilgeport' idea as well, worth getting a non-BP just to badge-up like that :)

Dave

38_Cal
07-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Oooh- I think a "Blidgeport" tag has got to be the winner. I'd copy the Bridgeport logo and replace the r with an l. That would be tooo funny. Folks visiting the shop would do a double take!

That being said, if you remove your enco tag 38cal, send it to me!

Prolly wouldn't fit...my mill is flat where the plate goes, yours is rounded. :D

David
Montezuma, IA

wirewrkr
07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
I would either find an old scripted STUDEBAKER emblem or an old skool Craftsman
logo. talk about confusing someone. But my favorite so far is the bilgeport.
Robert
it's nice to be back

aboard_epsilon
07-15-2008, 02:21 PM
if it was in my part of the country i would put pontporth on it..that would be welsh for bridgeport .

all the best.mark

DaHui
07-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi, I have a CNC vinyl cutter and would be happy to make a sticker or paint mask for whatever name you decide on. I've been trying to put it to good use...or funny use. How about Sherline?

ironhoarder
07-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi, I have a CNC vinyl cutter and would be happy to make a sticker or paint mask for whatever name you decide on. I've been trying to put it to good use...or funny use. How about Sherline?

Hey- thanks for the offer- I may take you up on that!

What sort of file would you need? DXF? I can draw up the logo in a vector program like Adobe Illustrator (I'd need to use bezier curves).

So, I guess the thing would be to first cut a strip with the rounded ends that fits in the recess. Then another that has the lettering that would adhere on top. Or, what would you suggest?

DaHui
07-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the delay, got distracted. Any vector format should be fine.

As far as the application of the sticker it depends on if you want a decal or a paint mask. I might just cut a strip of aluminum that will fit into the opening and then just apply the sticker to that. If you want a paint mask you would just use the "negative" portion of the vinyl cutout (most likely).

If you can give me dimensions on the opening I could just mail you the sticker and you can apply it however you want. If you want the choice of positive or negative I can cut out the sticker and include sheet of transfer paper. You just pick away the part of the sticker you don't want to use, apply the transfer paper and peel of the backing to expose the adhesive and stick it.

davidfe
07-27-2008, 02:48 PM
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3949/dcp_0037.jpg (http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=17576)

gnm109
07-27-2008, 04:14 PM
I suggest that you put an ENCO name tag in the place where the ENCO name tag goes. Well, why not, no one else suggested that. After all, it is an ENCO.

I know, I know, then people would suspect you of having a cheap Mainland Chinese product in your shop. I don't know the difference but I guess someone else would know.

Chipslinger
07-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I suggest that you put an ENCO name tag in the place where the ENCO name tag goes. Well, why not, no one else suggested that. After all, it is an ENCO.

I know, I know, then people would suspect you of having a cheap Mainland Chinese product in your shop. I don't know the difference but I guess someone else would know.

Golly, I guess we don't think INSIDE the Box, like you.:D

bikewrench
07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
"BLIDGEPORT" In small text on the bottom:
"Made no where near Here!"

John Stevenson
07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Great Wall Silk Flower and Tractor Factory

oldtiffie
07-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Great Wall Silk Flower and Tractor Factory

.Farm machinery? Loved it John!!!

Some may associate it with the "night soil" they use as fertiliser (applied by hand) to their excellent crops. At least they mastered the "$hit in - quality out" conundrum - as did the Japanese - a true "recycle" and "waste not -want not" practice and philosophy.

What about the "Lucky" or "Fukung/Fuking"? brands - were quite common tool names/brands when I was in the Far East - seem appropriate too?