PDA

View Full Version : Uses for Tufnol Other Than Gears?

NickH
07-13-2008, 10:22 AM
I bought some Tufnol rod off Ebay last year, the grain is wrong for gears but it was really cheap & I thought it would make a really cool broom handle for the workshop if nothing else.

I saw some Knife handles advertised and dug out my old Swiss Army Knife, I've had it for about 37 years & the plastic sides were dropping off, I used a length of rod, cut in half lengthways and milled to thickness, using the outermost possible sections to get as much pattern as possible.

A bench mounted belt sander is rapidly becoming my favourite cheap shop tool, I used this to face, shape and profile the two plates. A dremmel cut the pockets for the protruding brass rivets, 800 wet & dry to smooth the outer surfaces and a heat gun, paintbrush & beeswax shavings to give a final finish, epoxy to bond the sides on at the rivets.

My first knife, bought for me by a family friend when I was 5 (with my mother's permission) is now functional and a pleasure to use once more :)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q158/magicniner/PocketKnife.jpg

Anyone else doing unusual stuff with Tufnol?
Regards,
Nick

ammcoman2
07-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Very nice. I particularly like the way the "grain" shows up. We used this stuff for fixtures at work (in a previous life!) and called it Micarta.

Geoff

Rustybolt
07-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Or phenolic. McMaster Carr calls it 'garolite' . The stuff we use an an insulator at work is the type filled with graphite fiber. An 12 x 36 inch piece goes for nearly $500.00