PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here own a Scotchman 45 ton turret Ironworker?

torker
07-14-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm finally getting some call backs. Have a choice between a 45T turret Ironworker or a 45T "regular" 4514C Ironworker.
The turret machine looks quicker but i'm sure there's a tradeoff..
thanks!
Russ

wierdscience
07-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Shop near here has a 5014-tm with the turret.I am told the turret is nice if you have three sizes of holes you use a lot of.If you end up needing to swap tooling often the tool changes are a bit slower with the turret though.

They love the machine,they do mostly ornamental iron work,railings that sort of thing.

They also have the pipe notcher attachment for 1-1/4 pipe,it's slick but I don't know what it costs.

dockrat
07-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Russ...I can see where your going to be re-drawing the plans for that shop extension:p

torker
07-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Russ...I can see where your going to be re-drawing the plans for that shop extension:p
Ernie.. you know it! That ugly lookin "motor shed" (with the lovely white shredded plastic burlap walls) will be history soon.
need room for the VN and the Ironworker... I was going to build a punch press but the cost of steel/hydraulic/reinventing the wheel makes an outright purchase of an ironworker pretty appealing. Gotta replace "the gurl" somehow.
Too bad an ironworker can't weld. Was confirmed (for sure) yesterday that she can never do this type of work again. Seems she cruched some bones in her wrist when she was a kid and now she's paying for it.
Russ

ptjw7uk
07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi Torker
Sorry to hear about the 'gurl' it was nice to hear of someone doing good and learning all new skills. I feel that she was indicative of the poor education system that endeavors to make all in the same mould, as some of us are definately square pegs who will not fit into round holes.
Please give her my commiserations as she seemed to be learning at a very fast rate.
Peter

Ries
07-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I believe the main compromise you get with the turret machine is a smaller throat depth- its something like 4", while the single station is 6".
Only you can tell whether this is likely to be an issue or not.

Me, I would rather have the deeper throat, and take a few minutes more to change punches and dies. I have a 6" throat on my machine, and there are lots of times I wish it was more.

But if the vast majority of your punching is in relatively narrow flat bar, or close to edges, then the convenience of the turret would be great.

The great thing about the scotchman is they have designed such a wide range of tooling for it, and a lot of it you could easily copy and make yourself, now that you know what it looks like.

torker
07-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Ries.. Good point. I missed that. The only thing.. the turret worker looks in better condition... comes with the angle/rod shear and a bunch of punches.
the plain machine comes with nothing... looks rougher and they want $600 more for it. There's something that just reeks of Divorak about the single station machine as well. The salesman seems illusive about finding the year of machine. It IS a 45 ton.
Ries.. could you PM me your email.. I'd like to send you a couple pics to see what you think??
Thanks!
Russ

Quetico Bob
07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
I bet she does;)

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/Queticobob/ChopSaw.jpg

I'll go fishing now.
Cheers, bob

torker
07-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks Bob... Tell that gurl to phone me... I got a job for her. Doesn't have to do anything of course... might break a nail..

Quetico Bob
07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Not even going to begin to use my imagination on how that would happen. Especially without having to do anything.
Cheers, Bob

doctor demo
07-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm finally getting some call backs. Have a choice between a 45T turret Ironworker or a 45T "regular" 4514C Ironworker.
The turret machine looks quicker but i'm sure there's a tradeoff..
thanks!
Russ
Russ, We have a Scotchman at the shop I don't know the mod.# but it is a 65 ton no turret.
I do a lot of punching and angle shearing and plate shearing. Sometimes all day long for a 2-3 day run, then it might sit all lonely for weeks at a time.
I'm not totaly convinced You would be happy with a little 45 ton machine, more times than not I wish that 65t was closer to a 100 ton machine.
Cal Me or E-Mail Me .
Steve