PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Coppretta
07-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Excuse me, I thought I'd introduce myself before I start posting. :D

I'm not a machinist, just interested in a few subjects here.

It looks like there is a lot of great reading before me!

I am interested in building a custom hammer machine for the work I do, I know I'll need to make or buy some special parts for it.

Also, I'd like to find out about whether or not certain machines would work for me.

tattoomike68
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Welcome , you are in the right place to learn a few tricks save a few bucks.

You never know, there might be a member here with an old power hammer gathering dust they want to get rid of.

Chipslinger
07-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Welcome New Gurl.

Coppretta
07-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Welcome , you are in the right place to learn a few tricks save a few bucks.

Thanks!

You never know, there might be a member here with an old power hammer gathering dust they want to get rid of.

That would make my year... I am looking for a tiny thing, I've heard that the best way to go is with an old industrial sewing machine motor.. but it would have to be modded to fit my chasing tools.

I just found a good picture of one, unfortunately the man that built it retired and sold off all his tools a couple of years ago.

I know a couple of guys that saw it work at a show and they said it worked great..

Building it with my cavewoman tools/limited mechanical knowledge will be a challenge!

Quetico Bob
07-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Barb, Welcome, keep reading and it won’t be long before your building your own even with your cavewoman tools.;)
Cheers, Bob

38_Cal
07-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Small tools, power hammer...give us a better clue...tinker or engraver? Gold- or silversmith? I'm psycho, not psychic! <VBG> Welcome anyhoo.

David
Montezuma, IA

miker
07-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi Barb and welcome.

if you have a picture of the type of unit you would like to copy, please post the pic.
There is a "sticky thread" about how to post pictures here.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=29277

If you still have a problem posting (a lot of us did in the begining) yell out and some one will help.

Rgds

ckelloug
07-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Does the username signify a female coppersmith?

Welcome. There are some incredibly helpful people here. Enjoy your stay.

--Cameron

lynnl
07-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Welcome aboard.
We seem to be getting several Huntsville-ites on here. (...or maybe it's Huntsvillians?) I saw another new one the other day, and then forgot the name.

torker
07-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Welcome! Good to see another gurl around...

wierdscience
07-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the asylum!

dockrat
07-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Welcome aboard!! :) Just remember we like lots of pics :D

Chipslinger
07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Welcome aboard!! :) Just remember we like lots of pics :D

Yea ,cuz some of us don't read and right so good an doin' our numbers aren't so good either.

:o

Dawai
07-14-2008, 08:31 PM
HEY GUYS, she is a purty lil lady too. I met her and she didn't go running off screaming.

She is so skilled in making things and so helpful, she spent over two hours working with some guys to help them with flower making skills.. My buddy Doc said that bailed him outa female trouble when he got home.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10776&highlight=copperetta
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3867/medium/MVC-367F.JPG

Anyways.. she needs all the help she can get just like the rest of US.. and she has knowledge and skills to trade.

tiptop
07-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi Barb, Welcome to the sight. Power hammers can be made with crude tools. I made my first Helve Hammer before I had a lathe or a mill, it just takes longer. From the sounds of it (sewing machine motor) this is what you are talking about. If you have a cutting torch and a welder you shold be fine until it comes to dies, then you might just grind those I suppose. I will post a couple of pics of the one I made in a new thread, Don't want to steal this one. Jay

Dawai
07-14-2008, 11:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/mcdonaldfountainlgwb.jpg

A fountain Copperetta did, the big flowers represent the elderly adults, the smaller ones the kids, the smallest ones the grandkids. For a anniversary. Neato?

This lady recently got her own custom made english wheel, I look for exciting things from her in the future.

You know of course, she was the one who got me started making roses here on the press? I posted that about a month or more back.

torker
07-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Holy Smoke!!! I thought that was a pretty cool planter but thought the flowers had been in there too long. LOL! I didn't realize the flowers were handmade metal ones :D
Good job Barb! WOW!
Too bad! Someone just left my shop due to an injury. She would have loved to learn that stuff.

rdfeil
07-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Welcome aboard Barb. Absolutely amazing and beautiful work. Art and metal at the same time, wonderful, two thumbs up :D :D .

Robin

JRouche
07-15-2008, 01:44 AM
Hi ya Barb!!! Welcome.. And pics of your work and the tooling is a must.. You know, the thousand words deal LOL I love seeing everyones work and shop.. JR

Chipslinger
07-15-2008, 06:22 AM
David Don't over sell her, We know what happens then.

She does nice work though.

PTSideshow
07-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Hey Barb, your in the right place!:D

torker
07-15-2008, 08:22 AM
David Don't over sell her, We know what happens then.

What I was thinking..

Evan
07-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Now you've done it Barb. My wife is having a look at your work as I write. She collects copper. I still have almost a full sheet of 22ga copper just sitting around. I used to do some enamel work and related art but nothing as pretty as yours. It's something that I am planning to get back into along with some silver work.

Welcome. I hope to see some more of your work.

Dawai
07-15-2008, 08:42 AM
I think Barb can stand on her own two feet. I've been nothing but honest about her. I have seen her go out of her way to help others. That's what kinda person she is.

NOW me?, I need some propping up sometimes.
Heck, I'm gonna get the Burple roadking out for a ride to the bank, I am always afraid I'll get Ko'ed with a pocket full of cash (make that ambulance driver really happy?) WITH retail sales it ain't mine.. some of them blonde economics? I know I still got money cause I still got blank checks?? I have to keep telling my wife I'm broke.. she knows I got a few thousand in my wallet.. so.. blonde economics means I ain't broke.. That's the american way ain't it? spending next years money? I also worry about getting stopped by the police and arrested for having too much cash.

My lil Irish buddy Doc was all about hiring Barb to do a floral piece for him, till he figured out she can't work for peanuts... I don't think he has returned her calls since.. ha.. I am so cheap I make my own toys and flowers. Hence pressing out my own roses.. I am still planning on putting them around the garden gate on a trellis.. just as soon as I get that customer paint out of the way of the welding and grinding. BY the way, Barb helped me too with emails and support on my not so professional approach to how it is supposed to be done. I, of course did it my own way. *ain't nothing swaying the pathe of a old goat.

I wish all my friends will do well, spiritually, financially and health.

Dawai
07-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Evan she has a web site.. I don't have a link to it.. perhaps she will share.

PTSideshow
07-15-2008, 09:54 AM
http://www.coppretta.com/
Here ya go Hide the check book Evan.:D Nice stuff isn't a good discripition

davidfe
07-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Gentlemen,

Barb is a lady....NOT just a gurl.

She is truly the queen of Patinaville™...just look at the beautiful work.

Welcome.

David

Evan
07-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Beautiful artwork on your web site Barb. I also like the web site itself, very well done. I have done a lot of web site work in the past and still maintain some sites. I like your site and the really clean design.

drof34
07-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Sounds like a planishing hammer might be what you are looking for.

Harber Freight has some on sale now priced from $37 to $120. However they are pneumatic powered.

Jim

aostling
07-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Barb,

I'm inspired by the flowers on your Coppretta website. Here is a flower which I hope may inspire you. It's only an inch across, and I almost didn't see it growing out of the little pincushion cactus beside the trail this afternoon.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/Mammillariagrahamii.jpg

torker
07-16-2008, 12:59 AM
OK.. I'm scared to ask... That little flower pan...with the flowers I thought needed water... how much does that go for?
I showed this stuff to the gurl today... she really wanted to do that stuff someday. We both agreed the work has to be worth a lot of money... I hope you are getting what it's worth. That work still amazes me.
Russ